This Anticonvulsants market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Anticonvulsants market.
Anticonvulsants, also commonly known as antiepileptic drugs or antiseizure drugs are a diverse group of pharmacology agents used in the treatment of epileptic seizures. Epilepsy is a chronic disorder resulting in repeated and unprovoked seizures. Epileptic seizures are commonly referred as convulsions. Anticonvulsants are mainly used for treatment of epileptic seizures. Epileptic seizures are caused by disturbance in the electrical activity of the brain. In addition, anticonvulsants are also used in treatment of bipolar disorder and in neuropathic pain management.
Anyone could potentially have a single epileptic seizure at some point in their lives. This is not the same as having epilepsy, which is a tendency to have seizures that start in the brain. Epilepsy can affect people of any age group. Though brain injury, brain cancer, drug and alcohol misuse and stroke are some of the reasons for epileptic seizures, the exact reason for convulsions is not known. Some of the common symptoms which occur before convulsions include, visual loss, strange feeling, nausea, numbness in body parts, headache and racing thoughts.
Anticonvulsants Market: Drivers and Restraints
Increasing awareness about the anticonvulsants available in the market, patent expiration of many blockbuster drugs are some of the major factors that are driving the global anticonvulsants market towards growth. There are now 24 antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) approved for use in epilepsy in the US by FDA. Moreover, three trends involving consumption of AEDs have become clinically important and must be considered by all who treat patients with epilepsy. These trends include issues of generic substitution of AEDs, pharmacogenomics predicting serious adverse events in certain ethnic populations, and the issue of the suicide risk involving the entire class of AEDs. While, high costs and unavailability of convenient dosage forms of both generic and branded anticonvulsants are restraining the growth of novel therapies in the anticonvulsants market.
Anticonvulsants Market: Overview
Seizures are expected to result in physical, psychological and social repercussions. People with epilepsy could adhere rigorously to their medication regimes in order to prevent these deleterious outcomes. Treatment of epileptic seizures has led to the growth of anticonvulsants market. Barbiturates were the first antiepileptic drugs. These are more effective and tolerable than bromides. Hydantoins are the first to be known as modern antiepileptic drugs. Succinimides are an old group of drug which are rarely prescribed nowadays. Consequently with these antiepileptic or antiseizure drugs, anticonvulsants market is growing immensely leaving a significant impact on the treatment of epileptic seizures. The antiepileptic drug market is threatened by generic completion, which has been increasing dramatically in the face of patent expirations among several of the major branded antiepileptics. However, there have been cases where generic antiepileptic drugs have not been as efficacious as their branded counterparts have.
Anticonvulsants Market: Region-wise Outlook
Region wise, the global anticonvulsants marketis classified into regions namely, North America, Latin America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia-Pacific, Japan, Middle East and Africa. Currently, North America dominates the anticonvulsants market followed by Europe. Asia-Pacific is expected to emerge as a lucrative region, owing to factors such as increasing healthcare spending, improving healthcare infrastructure, and increasing demand for drugs. Given these factors, the market for anticonvulsants is likely to grow rapidly in Asia-Pacific region.
Anticonvulsants Market: Key Players
Some of the key players, contributing to global anticonvulsants drug market, are Johnson & Johnson (J&J), Novartis AG, UCB Group, GlaxoSmithKline plc, Pfizer Inc., Abbott Laboratories, Cephalon Inc. and Shire plc. Pfizer has been estimated to cover the largest market share in the antiepileptic market, accounting for close to one-third of total revenues of the market with it two leading brands.
The report covers exhaustive analysis on:
- Market Segments
- Market Dynamics
- Market Size
- Supply & Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies involved
- Value Chain
Regional analysis includes
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil)
- Western Europe (Germany, Italy, U.K, Spain, France, Nordic countries, BENELUX)
- Eastern Europe (Russia, Poland, Rest Of Eastern Europe)
- Asia Pacific Excluding Japan (China, India, ASEAN, Australia & New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, S. Africa, N. Africa, Rest Of MEA)
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Anticonvulsants Market Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
Anticonvulsants Market: Segmentation
Anticonvulsants market is segmented based on product type, application, end user and geography.
Based on product type, the anticonvulsants market is segmented as follows:
- Aromatic allylic alcohols
- Fructose derivatives
- Fatty acids
- GABA analogs
- Valproylamides (amide derivatives of valproate)
Based on application, the anticonvulsants market is segmented as follows:
- Neuropathic pain
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
Based on end user, the anticonvulsants market is segmented as follows:
- Ambulatory surgical clinics
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose FMI?
- With a global presence and a trusted partner to several Fortune 500 firms, FMI covers 1 billion+ data points to build a diversified portfolio for market benchmarking
- Market Reports researched and peer reviewed by industry experts from across the globe
- We follow a multi-dimensional method of analysis monitoring a three-layer data validation process
- In addition to demand-side market assessment, our data triangulation methodology involves supply-side research
- Primary research includes mandatory field interviews with stakeholders involved
- Customizing reports according to client specification is also our forte
What will you discover from Anticonvulsants Market report?
- The current and future market size, covering each aspect and nuanced trends across key national and geographic markets
- An overview of the market report, providing an imperative visual of the varied market subdivisions and overall forecast statistics in terms of value and volume
- Extensive database and key dynamics elevating the market with varied verticals associated
- Underlying Anticonvulsants Market forces that are compelling consumers or businesses to purchase the product
- How novel technologies and consumer-centric innovations will create new value-adding opportunities for companies active in the Anticonvulsants Market
- What will be environment and regulatory impacts on the market over the next decade
Which framework has been used to develop the Anticonvulsants Market report?
- Investment Feasibility Matrix - It shows returns on investment, level of competition, success rate of investment, and potential risks associated with the market. The analysis shows that the competition is high in the established market, while the returns for short-term investment are also taken into consideration
- Relative Maturity Mapping – The relative maturity is measured according to three growth phases (growth, maturity, decline)
- Relative PLC (Product Life Cycle) – Analysis of the emergence of prominent players and competitive test prices which are driving factors behind every market. (expected market behavior, observed market behavior, expected market performance, observed market performance)