Digitalization and internet penetration has led to a change in the shopping patterns of customers. Customers have made a transition from brick-and-mortar stores to e-commerce i.e. online shopping, as online shopping provides enhanced services and convenience. The increasing adoption of e-Commerce market for FMCG is going to impact the retail omni-channel commerce market, as the software links the e-Commerce platform with the brick-and-mortar stores.
The real-time exchange of data among different devices creates large volumes of data that is available on public and private network connections. IoT is creating opportunities for retailers to offer technologically advanced products. All devices (laptops, PCs, smartphones, wearable, etc.) that are responsible for communication are also using IoT-based platforms in smart cities, which is expected to propel the growth of the e-Commerce market for FMCG sector.
Innovations in IT is fueling the growth of retail digitalization. Providing retailers a platform in order to satisfy the expectations of consumers has been the key motivation behind these technological innovations. The products offered by retailers are available on every channel. These channels are connected to each other over the Internet, via an omni-channel platform. The seamless experience provided by an e-commerce platform is the primary reason for the increase in usage of e-commerce for FMCG.
Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic Outbreak on E-Commerce Market for FMCG Market
Due to disruptions caused in the supply chain, the e-commerce market for FMCG declined by 5-7% in Q1 and Q2 of 2020. The lockdown enforced by government of many countries, has resulted in delivery delays or complete cancellation of orders. Several other challenges have emerged during this pandemic such as product safety concerns, inflating prices to irrationally high levels, cybersecurity concerns and deceptive practices.
However, to restrict the flow of coronavirus and to maintain social distancing and other measures led the customers to shift towards online shopping websites/sites and pay through online modes of payments. Thus the impact of pandemic outbreak on e-commerce market for FMCG will promote the further progress of new policies for online purchases and supply. Thus the market is anticipated to recover and grow at 2X by the end of Q4 2020.
E-Commerce Market for FMCG Market: Drivers and Restraints
Introduction of Subscription Based Business Model Is Attracting Small and Medium Enterprises to Adopt E-commerce
With the development of SaaS-based deployment of e-commerce software, subscription based business have pioneered and is effective for both customer and business. Subscription based business model enables hassle free payment options for the services rendered.
Then user can opt for subscription of monthly, quarterly or yearly plan based on the requirement of business. Recurring billing enables online billing and eliminates the repetitive manual payments for the services. An inevitable benefit for business is that the subscription based model increases revenue while building upon the business and customer relationships.
Thus with rising adoption of subscription based model, number of stores getting online are increasing significantly. Thus increasing number of stores on e-commerce platform is anticipated to boost demand of e-commerce market for FMCG, throughout the forecast period.
Retailers are offering features such as order online and pick up in-store by incorporating retail omni-channel platforms in order to increase their sales. With retail omni-channel platforms, retailers are able to satisfy customers seeking digital services and offerings. Some of the leading retailers who have adopted retail omni-channel platforms are Apple, Walmart, and Macy. Thus it is another factor fueling the growth of the e-commerce market for FMCG.
Option of Switching Vendors Are High Due To the Availability of Multiple Vendors in the Market
Maximum customers subscribe e-commerce platform for one month or quarterly plans and very few customers go for annual subscription. As a result, even though if the subscription number is high, there is no assurance that the vendors can retain those customers. The competition in the e-commerce market for FMCG is very high and the customers have multiple options to choose the vendor.
Though subscription based models are the source of high revenue generation, it is always associated with a high risk factor. Customers can easily switch from one vendor to another. Thus it is a major factor hindering the growth of e-commerce market for FMCG.
E-Commerce Market for FMCG Market: Competition Landscape
Examples of some of the market participants in the global e-commerce market for FMCG market identified across the value chain include
- Shopify, Inc.
- SAP SE
- Oracle Corporation
- Magento Commerce (Adobe)
- Salesforce.com, Inc.
- Intershop Communications AG
- Kentico Software
- Unilog Content Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
Following are some key strategies and developments in the global e-commerce market for FMCG market:
- In May 2019, PVH Asia Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of PVH Corp. and one of the world’s largest apparel companies, selected Oracle Retail to modernize its customer experience and store technology. Its iconic brands include Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger. PVH Asia will implement Oracle Retail Xstore and Oracle Retail Customer Engagement to connect with the next generation of consumers.
E-Commerce Market for FMCG Market: Regional Outlook
North America is the fastest growing e-commerce market for FMCG owing to the high rates of internet penetration in this region. East Asia is anticipated to follow North America in terms of sales growth, due to increasing number of startups and small businesses in this region contributing towards the growth of the e-commerce market for FMCG. North America and East Asia together holds around 50% share of the global e-commerce market for FMCG.
The E-Commerce Market for FMCG market report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, and inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators, and governing factors, along with market attractiveness as per segment. The market report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
The report covers exhaustive analysis on:
- E-Commerce Market for FMCG Market Segments
- E-Commerce Market for FMCG Market Dynamics
- E-Commerce Market for FMCG Market Size
- Supply & Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies Involved in the Market
- Technology Landscape
- Value Chain of the Market
- Market Drivers and Restraints
Regional analysis includes:
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Rest of Latin America)
- Europe (Germany, Italy, U.K, Spain, France, Nordic countries, BENELUX, Russia, Rest of Europe)
- East Asia (China, Japan, South Korea)
- South Asia and Pacific (India, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Australia & New Zealand, Rest of South Asia and Pacific)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC Countries, Turkey, Northern Africa, South Africa, Rest of MEA)
- Detailed overview of parent E-Commerce Market for FMCG market
- Changing E-Commerce Market for FMCG market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current, and projected market size in terms of value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape of E-Commerce Market for FMCGMarket
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint
E-Commerce Market for FMCG Market: Segmentation
The e-Commerce Market for FMCG market can be segmented on the basis of type, platform, and region.
By type :
- Food & Beverage
- Personal Care
- Health Care
- Home Care
By platform :
- Mobile Application
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.