This Xylitol market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Xylitol market.
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol commonly used as a substitute for table sugar. Sugar alcohols are derived from natural sources such as fruit and vegetables. On an industrial scale, xylitol is produced from wood and corn-cob through the conversion of plant fiber xylan to xylitol.
It is used as a sweetener in various kinds of products such as sugar-free candies, chewing gums, mints, diabetic and oral care products. Xylitol is essentially considered a refined sweetener and as such is only composed of carbohydrates devoid of any nutritional components.
Market Dynamics of Xylitol Market:
Xylitol derives its competitive advantage due to several beneficial properties. These are not limited to the technical benefits offered by most sugar substitutes but also sensory factors such as texture and taste. Xylitol looks and tastes very similar to table sugar. The other driving factor is that of lower calorie content. When compared to table sugar, xylitol offers about 40% lesser calorie count. These factors combined with its ‘naturally-derived’ status, make xylitol an important product in the increasingly health-conscious market.
Given its low-calorie content and negligible effects on blood sugar, xylitol is an attractive product for diabetics. It doesn’t contain fructose and has minimal effects on insulin and blood sugar level. The validation for these claims is found in the fact that xylitol has a glycemic index of 7 while table sugar is in the range of 60-70. The glycemic index measures how quickly a particular food raises blood sugar.
Market Growth Analysis
Disclaimer: This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in the report.
Xylitol is also considered useful in battling dental plaque. Xylitol helps in this regard by controlling the ability of oral bacteria, such as Streptococcus mutans, to regenerate and colonize. Some of the other benefits ascribed to the use of xylitol are increased absorption of calcium, increase in production of saliva and the reduction of the acidity of saliva. These functions help in strengthening the enamel and even in the prevention of osteoporosis to a certain extent.
The major constraining factor of the market is the presence of a considerable number of sugar alcohols in the market. Some of the prominent substitutes include sorbitol, mannitol, and isomalt. Apart from these other naturally derived products such as stevia also pose a considerable threat. The use of these substitutes is mainly centered on the issues of production costs, end-use, and consumer acceptance.
Market Segmentation of Xylitol Market:
The xylitol market is segmented on the basis of raw material and application.
On the basis of raw materials, the market is segmented into various natural plant sources such as oats, berries, mushrooms, corn husk and sugar cane bagasse. The dramatic difference in retail prices of Xylitol is a result of the differences in the raw material used and thereby the method of extraction. For instance, Corn-cub offers xylitol at a low cost and is the preferred source of Chinese manufacturers. This source also presents certain difficulties associated with the use of GMO corn. The high extraction costs and unsustainability of certain sources such as that of birch bark are further amplified when the fact that the whole tree has to be cut down for the process is considered.
On the basis of application, the market is segmented into food, beverages, healthcare, cosmetics, and other industrial uses. The food segment is further sub-divided into confectionery, dairy products, bakery and others. Confectionery occupies the major market share within the food segment. Within the confectionery segment chewing gum is the major product category followed by chewable products such as candies and mints. Dairy products are also increasingly using xylitol as a viable substitute for sucrose. Since xylitol is mostly consumed in small quantities, bakery segment occupies a minor market share.
The healthcare segment is also a prominent category due to the widespread use of xylitol for diabetes, oral care and ear infections. Xylitol is also used in cough syrups and various throat-related drugs. In the cosmetics industry, it finds use as a moisture retaining agent (humectant) in lotions, beauty creams and body cleansers.
Regional Outlook of Xylitol Market:
The market has been segmented into seven geographic regions including North America, Latin America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia-Pacific, Japan and, Middle East and Africa. Owing to certain production advantages, China in the world’s leading supplier of Xylitol. The production of xylitol from corn-cub instead of wood offers China considerably less production cost. Other emerging countries such as Brazil and India are expected to perform well as more regional based sources, such as sugarcane bagasse, are developed.
In terms of consumption, North America, and Europe dominate the market. Within Europe, the product is particularly popular in Finland. This consumption is mainly in the form of sugar-free chewing gum, which is the major end-use of xylitol. Much of the chewing gum produced in Europe uses xylitol.
Key Market Players in Xylitol Market:
Some of the key players in the market include DuPont Danisco, Cargill, Ingredion, Roquette Freres, Shandong Futaste, and CSPC Shengxue Glucose.
The report covers exhaustive analysis on:
- Xylitol Market Segments
- Xylitol Market Dynamics
- Historical Actual Market Size, 2013 - 2015
- Xylitol Market Size & Forecast 2016 to 2026
- Supply & Demand Value Chain
- Xylitol Market Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies involved
- Value Chain
- Xylitol Market Drivers and Restraints
Regional analysis for Xylitol Market includes
- North America
- U.S. & Canada
- Latin America
- Brazil, Argentina & Others
- Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia and New Zealand
- Greater China
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa
- GCC Countries
- Other Middle East
- North Africa
- South Africa
- Other Africa
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Xylitol Market Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose FMI?
- With a global presence and a trusted partner to several Fortune 500 firms, FMI covers 1 billion+ data points to build a diversified portfolio for market benchmarking
- Market Reports researched and peer reviewed by industry experts from across the globe
- We follow a multi-dimensional method of analysis monitoring a three-layer data validation process
- In addition to demand-side market assessment, our data triangulation methodology involves supply-side research
- Primary research includes mandatory field interviews with stakeholders involved
- Customizing reports according to client specification is also our forte
What will you discover from Xylitol Market report?
- The current and future market size, covering each aspect and nuanced trends across key national and geographic markets
- An overview of the market report, providing an imperative visual of the varied market subdivisions and overall forecast statistics in terms of value and volume
- Extensive database and key dynamics elevating the market with varied verticals associated
- Underlying Xylitol Market forces that are compelling consumers or businesses to purchase the product
- How novel technologies and consumer-centric innovations will create new value-adding opportunities for companies active in the Xylitol Market
- What will be environment and regulatory impacts on the market over the next decade
Which framework has been used to develop the Xylitol Market report?
- Investment Feasibility Matrix - It shows returns on investment, level of competition, success rate of investment, and potential risks associated with the market. The analysis shows that the competition is high in the established market, while the returns for short-term investment are also taken into consideration
- Relative Maturity Mapping – The relative maturity is measured according to three growth phases (growth, maturity, decline)
- Relative PLC (Product Life Cycle) – Analysis of the emergence of prominent players and competitive test prices which are driving factors behind every market. (expected market behavior, observed market behavior, expected market performance, observed market performance)