This Smart Contact Lens market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Smart Contact Lens market.
The smart contact lens contains a wireless chip and miniaturized sensor for monitoring of physiological parameters such as glucose levels in tears of a diabetic patient or intraocular pressure in glaucoma patients. These sensors are embedded inside the two layers of soft lenses and a tiny hole in the outer layer allows the tear to flow into the sensor which measures the necessary parameters and data is transmitted to the wireless device for storage, via hair-this antenna. U.S. FDA has recently approved a smart contact lens to continuously monitor intraocular pressure in patients of glaucoma, which is the major cause of irreversible blindness. Triggerfish smart contact lens is a single use lens worn for 24 hours by glaucoma patients. According to Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute, U.S., 60.5 Mn people across the world are affected with glaucoma and the number is expected to increase to 79.6 Mn by 2020. Advances in ophthalmology and contact lens technology would thus be beneficial for glaucoma patients and also to the manufacturers of innovative products such as smart contact lens. Currently many companies are working on the smart contact lens technology to apply it in various health aspects. Google Inc. is developing a smart contact lens with Alcon, an eye care division of Novartis AG, which can detect the blood glucose levels from the tears and is expected to launch in the global market in next 5-6 years.
Smart Contact Lens Market: Drivers and Restraints
Advances in ophthalmology and growing demand for the more efficient and revolutionary glaucoma management approaches are the factors expected to drive the growth of global smart contact lens market. Increasing prevalence of glaucoma, increasing cases of diabetes related complications such as eye disorders, cataract and blindness, expanding aging demographics with presbyopia (long-sightedness), rising demand for user-friendly and self-monitoring devices are some other factors expected to fuel the growth of global smart contact lens market. According to American Diabetes Association, diabetes patients are 40% more susceptible to the glaucoma and 60% more likely to develop cataract than people without diabetes and the susceptibility to diabetes related glaucoma increases with age.
Smart Contact Lens: Overview
Intraocular Pressure Monitoring application type segment would constitute the global market for smart contact lens in 2016. In March 2016, United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the Triggerfish Sensor which helps ophthalmologists to identify the best time to measure the intraocular pressure, which can eventually damage the vision of a patient. Triggerfish is the only FDA approved smart contact lens so far while Google’s smart lens technology for continuous glucose monitoring and correction of presbyopia is under clinical investigation and would launch in the global market. The technology is expected to transform the way of management of chronic diseases such as diabetes and glaucoma. For instance, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Korea is involved in the development of a combination of smart contact lens and eyeglass which can be used to monitor a diabetes and dispensing of medication on-demand.
Smart Contact Lens: Regional Overview
Region wise, the global smart contact lens market is classified into regions namely, North America, Latin America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia-Pacific, Japan, Middle East and Africa.North America leads the global smart contact lens market followed by Europe. The clinical trials for Triggerfish Sensor have been conducted in countries such as France, Denmark, India, Canada, Spain, Israel, Germany, Belgium, Poland and Switzerland.
Smart Contact Lens: Key Players
Some of the key players in global smart contact lens market are Sensimed AG, Google Inc., Novartis AG, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., Innovega Inc. and others.
The research report presents a comprehensive assessment of the market and contains thoughtful insights, facts, historical data, and statistically supported and industry-validated market data. It also contains projections using a suitable set of assumptions and methodologies. The research report provides analysis and information according to categories such as market segments, geographies, type of product and applications.
The report covers exhaustive analysis on:
- Market Segments
- Market Dynamics
- Market Size
- Supply & Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies involved
- Value Chain
Regional analysis includes
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil)
- Western Europe (Germany, Italy, U.K, Spain, France, Nordic countries, BENELUX)
- Eastern Europe (Russia, Poland, Rest Of Eastern Europe)
- Asia Pacific Excluding Japan (China, India, ASEAN, Australia & New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, S. Africa, N. Africa, Rest Of MEA)
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Smart Contact Lens Market Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
Smart Contact Lens: Segmentation
The global smart contact lens market has been classified on the basis of application, end user and geography.
Based on application, the global smart contact lens market is divided into following:
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Intraocular Pressure Monitoring
Based on the end user type, the global smart contact lens market is divided into following:
- Home Care Settings
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose FMI?
- With a global presence and a trusted partner to several Fortune 500 firms, FMI covers 1 billion+ data points to build a diversified portfolio for market benchmarking
- Market Reports researched and peer reviewed by industry experts from across the globe
- We follow a multi-dimensional method of analysis monitoring a three-layer data validation process
- In addition to demand-side market assessment, our data triangulation methodology involves supply-side research
- Primary research includes mandatory field interviews with stakeholders involved
- Customizing reports according to client specification is also our forte
What will you discover from Smart Contact Lens Market report?
- The current and future market size, covering each aspect and nuanced trends across key national and geographic markets
- An overview of the market report, providing an imperative visual of the varied market subdivisions and overall forecast statistics in terms of value and volume
- Extensive database and key dynamics elevating the market with varied verticals associated
- Underlying Smart Contact Lens Market forces that are compelling consumers or businesses to purchase the product
- How novel technologies and consumer-centric innovations will create new value-adding opportunities for companies active in the Smart Contact Lens Market
- What will be environment and regulatory impacts on the market over the next decade
Which framework has been used to develop the Smart Contact Lens Market report?
- Investment Feasibility Matrix - It shows returns on investment, level of competition, success rate of investment, and potential risks associated with the market. The analysis shows that the competition is high in the established market, while the returns for short-term investment are also taken into consideration
- Relative Maturity Mapping – The relative maturity is measured according to three growth phases (growth, maturity, decline)
- Relative PLC (Product Life Cycle) – Analysis of the emergence of prominent players and competitive test prices which are driving factors behind every market. (expected market behavior, observed market behavior, expected market performance, observed market performance)