United States and Canada Educational Tourism Market
A Detailed Analysis of United States and Canada Educational Tourism Market on the Basis of Youth Travelling, Student Exchange Program, International Research Program, Workshop Travel, and Language School
When Innovation Meets Education- Unveiling the Thriving Landscape of Educational Tourism in the United States and Canada in FMI's Study!
United States and Canada Educational Tourism Market Outlook (2023 to 2033)
The United States and Canada educational tourism market reached a valuation of US$ 83.1 billion in 2022. By the end of 2033, this market is expected to reach a valuation of US$ 304.3 billion.
Sales revenue is likely to increase at a CAGR of 12.6% during the forecast period from 2023 to 2033. The United States and Canada market holds a share of around 25 to 30% in the global educational tourism industry.
The market for education tourism in the United States and Canada has been experiencing significant growth in recent years. Both countries have established themselves as popular destinations for international students seeking high-quality education and cultural experiences.
There are several factors which contribute to growth in the market. Reputation of the United States and Canada-based diverse course offerings, educational institutions, favorable visa policies, and a welcoming environment for international students might support sales.
Availability of numerous types of scholarships for abroad education, internship programs, and other employment opportunities can further attract students from around the world. Educational institutes, multiple tours & travel agencies, and related service providers have responded by developing tailored programs.
They are also offering comprehensive support services and enhancing the student experience. This trend is expected to continue in the United States and Canada as it would help maintain their commitment to international education and continue to invest in the development of their education systems.
Both the United States and Canada have rich cultural and historical heritage, with numerous landmarks, museums, and UNESCO World Heritage sites. These attractions can draw tourists who are interested in learning about the history, art, architecture, and traditions of these countries.
The United States and Canada are also home to few of the world's top-ranked universities and educational institutions. Several international students choose to study in these countries to benefit from their high-quality education systems. As a result, educational tourism is on the rise as students, families, and researchers visit campuses, attend conferences, or participate in exchange programs.
English and French are the primary languages spoken in the United States and Canada, respectively. Numerous individuals worldwide aspire to learn these languages to enhance their career prospects or communicate effectively in a globalized world. Educational tourism offers language immersion programs, language courses, and language-focused cultural experiences, which is set to aid demand.
The United States and Canada are at the forefront of scientific research, technological advancements, and innovation. Several people visit these countries to gain exposure to cutting-edge research, attend seminars & workshops, or collaborate with leading experts in various fields. This factor is anticipated to drive educational tourism demand across both countries.
Latest United States & Canada Educational Tourism Market Trends Listed by Future Market Insights (FMI):
- Increasing demand for experiential learning programs is driving educational tourism growth in both countries.
- Growing popularity of virtual and online education platforms is providing opportunities for remote educational tourism experiences.
- Rising eco-conscious and sustainable educational tourism is focusing on environmental conservation and responsible travel practices.
- Surging interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) education tourism is aiding demand.
- Expansion of educational tourism with rising specialized academies and vocational training centers catering to niche fields is propelling growth.
- Emergence of educational tourism packages combining language learning, cultural immersion, and professional skill development is boosting sales.
|United States & Canada Educational Tourism Market Estimated Size (2023E)||US$ 92.5 billion|
|Projected Market Valuation (2033F)||US$ 304.3 billion|
|Value-based CAGR (2023 to 2033)||12.6%|
|Collective Value Share: Top 5 Players (2022A)||30% to 35%|
Don't pay for what you don't need
Customize your report by selecting specific countries or regions and save 30%!
2018 to 2022 Educational Tourism Sales Outlook in the United States & Canada Compared to Demand Forecast from 2023 to 2033
The United States & Canada educational tourism market has witnessed significant changes in recent years. The industry primarily involves group tours and school trips to historical sites and iconic landmarks, providing students with a quality learning experience.
In recent years, however, there has been a shift toward more experiential and personalized learning opportunities. With expansion of technology and digital resources, educational tourism now incorporates online courses, virtual tours, and interactive platforms that would enable students to explore multiple subjects from their homes.
Several individuals in the United States and Canada have ancestral ties to these countries or are interested in tracing their family roots. Heritage tourism, including genealogy research, visits to ancestral homes, and cultural exploration, would attract tourists seeking to connect with their heritage.
Both the countries host numerous international conferences, symposiums, and academic events in various fields, attracting scholars, researchers, and professionals from around the world. These events can provide networking opportunities, knowledge exchange, and professional development, contributing to growth of educational tourism.
The United States and Canada also boast diverse landscapes, including breathtaking national parks, mountains, forests, and coastlines. Outdoor education programs, eco-tourism, and adventure tourism have gained popularity as travelers seek opportunities to explore & learn about the environment, conservation, and sustainable practices.
The United States and Canada educational tourism market is projected to witness a CAGR of 12.6% from 2023 to 2033. During the historical period, the market exhibited a CAGR of 9.5%.
The United States and Canada are renowned for their medical and healthcare education systems. Numerous aspiring doctors, nurses, and healthcare professionals choose to pursue their education in these countries.
Educational tourism in the healthcare field includes visits to medical schools, hospitals, and specialized training centers. Rising number of new services across both countries is likely to drive demand.
Comparative View of Adjacent United States & Canada Educational Tourism Markets
United States & Canada Educational Tourism Market:
|Attribute||United States & Canada Educational Tourism Market|
|CAGR (2023 to 2033)||12.6%|
|Market Value (2023)||US$ 92.5 billion|
|Growth Factor||Increasing emphasis on internationalization of education and global learning experiences is set to aid demand.|
|Key Trend||Growing popularity of educational tourism focused on entrepreneurship and innovation programs is a leading trend.|
Executive Education Program Market:
|Attribute||Executive Education Program Market|
|CAGR (2023 to 2033)||11.2%|
|Market Value (2023)||US$ 46,322.0 million|
|Growth Factor||Demand for continuous professional development and upskilling among executives & senior professionals is likely to propel growth.|
|Key Trend||Rising customized executive education programs tailored to specific sectors and organizational needs is a key trend.|
United States Leadership Development Program Market:
|Attribute||United States Leadership Development Program Market|
|CAGR (2023 to 2033)||5.9%|
|Market Value (2023)||US$ 6,782.9 million|
|Growth Factor||Need for cultivating effective leadership skills and nurturing talent within organizations is projected to accelerate demand.|
|Key Trend||Integration of technology and digital learning platforms in leadership development programs to enhance accessibility & engagement is a significant trend.|
Key Dynamics in the United States & Canada Educational Tourism Market
- Collaboration between Educational Institutions and Tourism Organizations
Various educational institutes and tour & tourism service providers are focusing on partnering with each other to serve end users with quality tourism services. Collaboration involves joint marketing efforts, development of specialized programs, and integration of tourism resources. They are aiming to provide students with a more comprehensive and immersive educational tourism experience.
Tours and tourism organizations might contribute their local insights, vast network, and logistical support. Universities might provide educational tourism, whereas student exchange programs would offer specialized knowledge and curriculum.
Together, they can design educational tourism programs which are a blend of academic information related to historical locations, exploration of cultural sites, and hands-on experiences. They might help in fostering a deeper understanding of the destination’s heritage, and traditions.
Collaborative approach would further enhance the appeal of educational tourism. It is likely to attract professionals, students, scholars, and lifelong learners who seek enriching and meaningful educational journeys.
- Rise of Educational Tourism Agencies
Rise of educational tourism agencies has been a key driver in growth in the United States and Canada educational tourism market. These agencies specialize in designing and organizing educational trips & programs for students and learners of all ages. These cater to both domestic and international travelers.
By offering immersive experiences, as well as access to educational institutions, cultural sites, and landmarks, these agencies provide a convenient & comprehensive solution for individuals. These also offer new programs for groups seeking to combine travel with learning. As a result, the educational tourism industry in both countries has witnessed significant growth as more people recognize the value of combining travel with educational opportunities.
- Growing Blend of Tourism and Education
Blending tourism and education has become a driving force in the United States and Canada education tourism market. This emerging trend combines the excitement and exploration of travel with knowledge and learning opportunities of education.
By incorporating educational experiences into travel journeys such as visits to historical sites, cultural institutions, and academic institutions, individuals can broaden their horizons. They can also gain valuable knowledge and insights.
Integration of tourism and education has sparked a growing demand for educational travel programs. It is projected to create a thriving market that caters to individuals seeking both leisure and educational enrichment.
Which Factors Might Hamper Educational Tourism Demand in the United States & Canada?
- Strict visa regulations and immigration policies can discourage potential students and tourists from considering educational opportunities in the United States & Canada.
- Political instability or uncertainty in either country might create an unfavorable perception among international travelers, leading to a decline in educational tourism.
- Safety concerns such as high crime rates or frequent natural disasters can deter individuals from choosing the United States and Canada as their destinations.
- Emergence of other countries as attractive educational destinations, offering quality education at a lower cost, can divert students and tourists away from both countries.
- Increasing costs of education, accommodation, and living expenses in the United States and Canada might make these destinations less affordable for international tourists.
Get the data you need at a Fraction of the cost
Personalize your report by choosing insights you need
and save 40%!
|Market Share (2023)||73.9%|
|Market Share (2033)||57.1%|
|BPS Analysis||(-) 1678|
|Market Share (2023)||26.1%|
|Market Share (2033)||42.9%|
Why is Educational Tourism Demand Skyrocketing in the United States?
Need for Hands-on Experiences to Push Demand for Educational Tours in the United States
The United States educational tourism market is experiencing steady growth, as an increasing number of travelers are seeking immersive learning experiences to enrich their knowledge. They are also looking to foster cultural understanding.
Tourists are no longer solely interested in traditional sightseeing. But, they are actively seeking opportunities to engage in educational activities that provide them with hands-on experiences and deeper insights into various subjects.
The trend is driven by growing desire for personal development and recognition of the value of experiential learning. The United States market is thriving, offering a wide range of programs and destinations that cater to diverse interests and learning preferences of travelers.
The country is predicted to be one of the most lucrative markets during the forecast period, according to Future Market Insights (FMI). The United States is expected to account for over 73.9% of the market share in 2023.
Why Are Sales of Educational Tourism Programs Increasing in Canada?
Cultural Richness of Canada to Spur Demand for Educational Vacations
Canada educational tourism industry is expected to account for over 26.1% of share in 2023 due to the presence of various high-quality educational institutes. The country is home to renowned universities and colleges. These offer excellent academic programs and research opportunities, attracting students from around the world.
Canada's diverse cultural heritage, including its indigenous traditions and multicultural society, provides a unique learning experience. International students would benefit from exposure to different perspectives and global networking opportunities.
They can further enhance their educational journey. This combination of high-quality education, cultural richness, and global perspective might make Canada a preferred destination for educational tourism.
Which Type of Education is Expected to Gain High Popularity?
Demand for Experiential Learning Tourism to Surge among Students Looking to Pursue Higher Education
Based on education type, the higher education segment is anticipated to dominate the United States and Canada educational tourism market. It is likely to expand at a CAGR of 7.5% from 2023 to 2033. It currently holds a leading share of around 35.5%.
Studying in the United States and Canada provides students with the opportunity to network with professionals, researchers, and fellow students from around the world. Connections made during their educational journey can be valuable for future career prospects and international collaborations.
Both countries offer various scholarships, grants, and funding opportunities to support international students in pursuing higher education. These financial incentives can make studying in the United States and Canada more accessible and affordable for several students.
Educational institutions in the United States and Canada prioritize student support and provide comprehensive services such as counseling, career guidance, and academic assistance. This supportive environment would help in enhancing the higher educational experience for international students.
The United States and Canada are also known for their high standards of education and world-class faculty. Students who seek quality education and exposure to cutting-edge research are drawn to these countries to benefit from the expertise & resources available at their institutions.
Which Educational Tourism Type Has Prominent Demand in the United States & Canada?
High Popularity of Student Exchange Programs to Support Academic Tourism
Based on tourism type, the student exchange program segment is projected to dominate the market. It is expected to surge at a CAGR of 7.8% from 2023 to 2033.
Student exchange programs offer students the opportunity to immerse themselves in a foreign culture, enhance their language skills, and gain a global perspective. With rising focus on experiential learning, these programs provide a unique blend of academic study and cultural exploration.
Benefits of participating in such programs include increased intercultural competence, personal growth, and expanded career opportunities. As a result, demand for student exchange programs are rapidly growing, reflecting the desire of students to broaden their horizons and develop a global mindset.
Which Expense Segment is Likely to Lead the Market?
Availability of Good Accommodation to Bolster Sales of Knowledge-based Tourism Programs
Rising popularity of educational tourism has led to an increased need for suitable accommodations that cater specifically to students, scholars, and individuals. These expenses encompass a wide range of options, including hotels, hostels, dormitories, homestays, and student residences.
Educational tourists often prioritize convenient and affordable accommodations that offer proximity to educational institutions, cultural sites, and other relevant locations. Providers in the educational tourism industry in both countries are focusing on offering comfortable and secure lodging options. These would help promote learning, cultural exchange, and networking opportunities.
Demand for accommodation expenses is projected to expand at a robust CAGR of 6.5% throughout the forecast period. As more individuals recognize the value of immersive educational experiences while exploring new destinations, demand would likely surge. Currently, the accommodation expenses segment holds a key share of 33.2%.
Educational tourism service providers in the United States and Canada are expanding their program options to cater to a wider range of interests and educational goals. They would offer diverse programs such as language immersion, cultural exchange, STEM-focused experiences, leadership development, professional training, and specialized academic courses.
A few other service providers are focusing on delivering hands-on, experiential learning opportunities. They might design programs that would involve practical activities, site visits, interactive workshops, and immersive cultural experiences. They are aiming to enhance learning outcomes and engagement.
- In April 2021, UC Berkeley launched the Global Hub, a virtual platform designed to connect students, faculty, and staff from around the world. This platform aims to facilitate cross-cultural communication & collaboration and provide resources for international students & scholars.
- In 2021, Simon Fraser University launched a new Bachelor of Arts program in Indigenous Studies. It aims to provide students with a deeper understanding of indigenous cultures, histories, and world views.
Scope of the Report
|Estimated Market Size (2023)||US$ 92.5 billion|
|Projected Market Valuation (2033)||US$ 304.3 billion|
|Value-based CAGR (2023 to 2033)||12.6%|
|Forecast Period||2023 to 2033|
|Historical Data Available for||2018 to 2022|
|Market Analysis||Value (US$ billion)|
|Key Regions Covered||
|Key Countries Covered||
|Key Segments Covered||
|Key Companies Profiled||
|Report Coverage||Market Forecast, Company Share Analysis, Competition Intelligence, Market Dynamics and Challenges, and Strategic Growth Initiatives|
United States & Canada Educational Tourism Market Outlook by Category
By Tourism Type:
- Youth Travelling
- Student Exchange Program
- International Research Program
- Workshop Travel
- Language School
By Education Type:
- Language Courses
- Vocational Courses
- Higher Education
- Other Course Types
By Age Group:
- Less Than 12 Years
- 13 to 18 Years
- 19 to 25 Years
- 26 to 40 Years
- 41 to 55 Years
By Consumer Orientation:
- Education Fees
- Insurance Fees
- Accommodation Expenses
- Monthly Food & Grocery Expenses
- Other Expenses
- United States
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is the United States and Canada Educational Tourism Market Witnessing High Growth?
Rising high-quality education and cultural experiences fuel the market growth.
What is the Current Market Valuation?
The current market valuation is US$ 92.5 billion in 2023.
Who are the Key Players in the United States and Canada Educational Tourism Market?
Education Zone and ProEd are the key players in the market.
What was the Historical CAGR of the United States and Canada Educational Tourism Market?
The market developed at a CAGR of 9.5% historically.
Which Region Presents Lucrative Growth Opportunities?
North America is estimated to witness lucrative growth opportunities through 2033.
Table of Content
1. Executive Summary 1.1. Global Market Outlook 1.1.1. Who Is Travelling? 1.1.2. How Much Do They Spend? 1.1.3. Direct Contribution of Tourism to GDP 1.1.4. Direct Contribution of Tourism to Employment 1.2. Tourism Evolution Analysis 1.3. Future Market Insights (FMI) Analysis and Recommendations 2. Market Introduction 2.1. United States & Canada Educational Tourism Market Outlook 2.1.1. Total Spending (US$ billion) and Forecast (2023 to 2033) 2.1.2. Number of Educational Tourists (billion) and Forecast (2023 to 2033) 2.1.3. Total Spending Y-o-Y Growth Projections (2023 to 2033) 2.1.4. Number of Educational Tourists Y-o-Y Growth Projections 3. Key Market Trends 3.1. Key Trends Impacting the Market 3.2. Market Dynamics 3.2.1. Drivers 3.2.2. Restraints 3.2.3. Opportunity Analysis 4. Categorizing of United States Educational Tourism Market 2022 4.1. Introduction/ Key Findings 4.2. Current Market Analysis By Tourism Type (% of Demand) 4.2.1. Youth Travelling 4.2.2. Student Exchange Program 4.2.3. International Research Program 4.2.4. Workshop Travel 4.2.5. Language School 4.2.6. Others 4.3. Current Market Analysis By Education Type (% of Demand) 4.3.1. Language Courses 4.3.2. Vocational Courses 4.3.3. Higher Education 4.3.4. Other Course Types 4.4. Current Market Analysis By Age Group (% of Demand) 4.4.1. Less Than 12 Years 4.4.2. 13 to 18 Years 4.4.3. 19 to 25 Years 4.4.4. 26 to 40 Years 4.4.5. 41 to 55 Years 4.5. Current Market Analysis By Consumer Orientation (% of Demand) 4.5.1. Men 4.5.2. Women 4.6. Current Market Analysis By Expenses (% of Demand) 4.6.1. Education Fees 4.6.2. Insurance Fees 4.6.3. Accommodation Expenses 4.6.4. Monthly Food & Grocery Expenses 4.6.5. Other Expenses 4.7. Key Findings, By Each Category 5. Categorizing of Canada Educational Tourism Market 2022 5.1. Introduction/ Key Findings 5.2. Current Market Analysis By Tourism Type (% of Demand) 5.2.1. Youth Travelling 5.2.2. Student Exchange Program 5.2.3. International Research Program 5.2.4. Workshop Travel 5.2.5. Language School 5.2.6. Others 5.3. Current Market Analysis By Education Type (% of Demand) 5.3.1. Language Courses 5.3.2. Vocational Courses 5.3.3. Higher Education 5.3.4. Other Course Types 5.4. Current Market Analysis By Age Group (% of Demand) 5.4.1. Less Than 12 Years 5.4.2. 13 to 18 Years 5.4.3. 19 to 25 Years 5.4.4. 26 to 40 Years 5.4.5. 41 to 55 Years 5.5. Current Market Analysis By Consumer Orientation (% of Demand) 5.5.1. Men 5.5.2. Women 5.6. Current Market Analysis By Expenses (% of Demand) 5.6.1. Education Fees 5.6.2. Insurance Fees 5.6.3. Accommodation Expenses 5.6.4. Monthly Food & Grocery Expenses 5.6.5. Other Expenses 5.7. Key Findings, By Each Category 6. Market Structure Analysis 6.1. Market Analysis by Tier of Universities and Service Providers (Educational Tourism) 6.2. Market Concentration 6.3. Market Share Analysis of Top Players 6.4. Market Presence Analysis 6.4.1. By Regional footprint of Players 6.4.2. Product foot print by Players 6.4.3. Channel Foot Print by Players 7. Competition Analysis 7.1. Competition Dashboard 7.2. Competition Benchmarking 7.3. Competition Deep Dive 7.3.1. EF Education First 184.108.40.206. Overview 220.127.116.11. Service Portfolio 18.104.22.168. Strategy Overview/campaigns 7.3.2. KILROY 22.214.171.124. Overview 126.96.36.199. Service Portfolio 188.8.131.52. Strategy Overview/campaigns 7.3.3. Capital Tours, Inc. 184.108.40.206. Overview 220.127.116.11. Service Portfolio 18.104.22.168. Strategy Overview/campaigns 7.3.4. Cross Cultural Journeys 22.214.171.124. Overview 126.96.36.199. Service Portfolio 188.8.131.52. Strategy Overview/campaigns 7.3.5. Qadri International Educational Consultants 184.108.40.206. Overview 220.127.116.11. Service Portfolio 18.104.22.168. Strategy Overview/campaigns 7.3.6. Intelligent Partners 22.214.171.124. Overview 126.96.36.199. Service Portfolio 188.8.131.52. Strategy Overview/campaigns 7.3.7. Futures Abroad 184.108.40.206. Overview 220.127.116.11. Service Portfolio 18.104.22.168. Strategy Overview/campaigns 7.3.8. Education Resources Network (ERN) 22.214.171.124. Overview 126.96.36.199. Service Portfolio 188.8.131.52. Strategy Overview/campaigns 7.3.9. IDP Education 184.108.40.206. Overview 220.127.116.11. Service Portfolio 18.104.22.168. Strategy Overview/campaigns 7.3.10. Glinks International Consultancy 22.214.171.124. Overview 126.96.36.199. Service Portfolio 188.8.131.52. Strategy Overview/campaigns 7.3.11. International Placewell Consultants, GULF 184.108.40.206. Overview 220.127.116.11. Service Portfolio 18.104.22.168. Strategy Overview/campaigns 7.3.12. ProEd 22.214.171.124. Overview 126.96.36.199. Service Portfolio 188.8.131.52. Strategy Overview/campaigns 7.3.13. Education Zone 184.108.40.206. Overview 220.127.116.11. Service Portfolio 18.104.22.168. Strategy Overview/campaigns 7.3.14. IQ Education Consultants 22.214.171.124. Overview 126.96.36.199. Service Portfolio 188.8.131.52. Strategy Overview/campaigns 7.3.15. (As Per Request) 184.108.40.206. Overview 220.127.116.11. Service Portfolio 18.104.22.168. Strategy Overview/campaigns 8. Assumptions and Acronyms Used 9. Research Methodology
Don't pay for what you don't need
Customize your report by selecting specific countries or regions and save 30%!
List of Tables
Table 01: Total Tourist Arrivals (billion), 2022 Table 02: Total Spending (US$ billion) and Forecast (2018 to 2033) Table 03: Number of Tourists (billion) and Forecast (2018 to 2033) Table 04: Spending per Traveler
List of Charts
Figure 01: Total Spending (US$ billion) and Forecast (2023 to 2033) Figure 02: Total Spending Y-o-Y Growth Projections (2018 to 2033) Figure 03: Number of Tourists (billion) and Forecast (2023 to 2033) Figure 04: Number of Tourists Y-o-Y Growth Projections (2018 to 2033) Figure 05: Spending per Traveler (US$ Bn) and Forecast (2023 to 2033) Figure 06: Spending per Traveler Y-o-Y Growth Projections (2018 to 2033) Figure 07: Current Market Analysis (% of demand), By Tourism Type, 2022 Figure 08: Current Market Analysis (% of demand), By Education Type, 2022 Figure 09: Current Market Analysis (% of demand), By Age Group, 2022 Figure 10: Current Market Analysis (% of demand), By Consumer Orientation 2022 Figure 11: Current Market Analysis (% of demand), By Expenses, 2022