This Incretin Based Drugs market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Incretin Based Drugs market.
Incretins are a group of metabolic hormones that stimulate on the decrease in blood glucose levels. Incretin-based drugs include dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitors and Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists, which are a relatively new group of drugs used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes. These drugs are associated with a low risk of hypoglycemia and have the favorable effect on body weight. Oral anti-diabetic drugs fail to maintain the desired normal levels of glucose, particularly during postprandial conditions, this has resulted in a strong need for better therapeutics like incretin-based drugs. Incretin-based drugs increase the secretion of insulin by acting on pancreatic beta cells and also inhibits the release of glucagon by acting on the pancreatic alpha cells. Incretin-based drugs namely Incretin mimetics (GLP-1 agonist) and DPP-4 inhibitors work on the antidiabetic principle of incretin hormone.
Incretin-Based Drugs Market: Drivers and Restraints
The major drivers of global incretin-based drugs market are the sedentary lifestyle, rising old age population, increasing rate of cardiovascular diseases, obesity, increasing incidence of diabetes, and raising awareness of diabetes. Also, a large number of pre-diagnosed and undiagnosed patients across the globe are further fuel the market growth for incretin-based drugs. But the lack of reimbursement, poor accessibility to drugs especially in developing countries, high safety concerns and high treatment cost associated with incretin-based drugs are likely some of the restraints of incretin-based drugs market.
Several large cohorts of patients with diabetes, the use of incretin-based drugs as compared with combinations of oral antidiabetic drugs were not associated with an increased risk of hospitalization for heart failure.
Incretin-Based Drugs Market: Overview
Approximately 26 million diabetic patients in the United States and 35 million in the European Union alone is growing prevalence of diabetes worldwide posing a major public health challenge. Both the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are committed to ensuring the safety of drug products marketed for the treatment of diabetes and post marketing reports of pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer in patients taking certain antidiabetic medications like incretin-based drugs. Working in parallel, these agencies have reviewed epidemiologic data, clinical trial data and nonclinical toxicology studies related to blood glucose lowering drug products like exenatide and sitagliptin which are incretin-based drugs that stimulate postprandial insulin release by potentiating the incretin hormone pathways. The results highlighted that these incretin-based drugs reduce body weight and have better cardiovascular outcomes.
Incretin-Based Drugs Market: Region-wise Outlook
Regionally, the market can be segmented into North America, Eastern Europe, Western Europe, Asia-Pacific excluding Japan, Japan, Latin America and the Middle East and Africa. Global demand for incretin-based drugs is anticipated to be influenced by favorable government policies. Governments in many countries are taking steps to subsidize diabetes drugs so that economically weaker sections of the society have access to quality healthcare. Technological innovation in the development of drugs is also expected to provide an impetus to the growth of the market. Availability of rapid acting and long acting insulin analogs is emerging as an effective way of managing both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Demand for incretin-based drugs is increasing in Asia-Pacific, whereas North America and Western Europe are lucrative markets for incretin-based drugs owing to increasing awareness on diabetes diagnosis and management.
Incretin-Based Drugs Market: Key Players
Some of the major market players of incretin-based drugs market include AstraZeneca Plc, Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH, Eli Lilly and Company, GlaxoSmithKline Plc, Johnson & Johnson, Merck & Co., Inc., Novartis AG, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Ltd and Sanofi S.A. New product launches and approvals are a few strategies adopted by top industry players. In March 2015, Takeda Pharmaceutical got Japanese approval for oral tablet Zarate, a DPP-4 inhibitor. Recently GlaxoSmithKline launched subcutaneous injection of Tanzeum (albiglutide), a GLP-1 agonist for the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
This research report presents a comprehensive assessment of the market and contains thoughtful insights, facts, historical data, and statistically-supported and industry-validated market data. It also includes projections using a suitable set of assumptions and methodologies. The research report provides analysis and information according to market segments such as geography, product type, material type, and end-use.
The Report covers exhaust Analysis on:
- Market Segments
- Market Dynamics
- Market Size
- Supply & Demand
- Current Trends /Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies involved
Regional analysis includes
- North America
- Latin America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Incretin Based Drugs Market Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
Incretin-Based Drugs Market: Segmentation
By drug type, the incretin-based drugs market can be segmented into,
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor (GLP-1) agonists
- Dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitors
By formulation, the incretin-based drugs market can be segmented into,
- Oral Drugs
- Injectable Drugs
By distribution channel, the incretin-based drugs market can be segmented into,
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose FMI?
- With a global presence and a trusted partner to several Fortune 500 firms, FMI covers 1 billion+ data points to build a diversified portfolio for market benchmarking
- Market Reports researched and peer reviewed by industry experts from across the globe
- We follow a multi-dimensional method of analysis monitoring a three-layer data validation process
- In addition to demand-side market assessment, our data triangulation methodology involves supply-side research
- Primary research includes mandatory field interviews with stakeholders involved
- Customizing reports according to client specification is also our forte
What will you discover from Incretin Based Drugs Market report?
- The current and future market size, covering each aspect and nuanced trends across key national and geographic markets
- An overview of the market report, providing an imperative visual of the varied market subdivisions and overall forecast statistics in terms of value and volume
- Extensive database and key dynamics elevating the market with varied verticals associated
- Underlying Incretin Based Drugs Market forces that are compelling consumers or businesses to purchase the product
- How novel technologies and consumer-centric innovations will create new value-adding opportunities for companies active in the Incretin Based Drugs Market
- What will be environment and regulatory impacts on the market over the next decade
Which framework has been used to develop the Incretin Based Drugs Market report?
- Investment Feasibility Matrix - It shows returns on investment, level of competition, success rate of investment, and potential risks associated with the market. The analysis shows that the competition is high in the established market, while the returns for short-term investment are also taken into consideration
- Relative Maturity Mapping – The relative maturity is measured according to three growth phases (growth, maturity, decline)
- Relative PLC (Product Life Cycle) – Analysis of the emergence of prominent players and competitive test prices which are driving factors behind every market. (expected market behavior, observed market behavior, expected market performance, observed market performance)