Future Market Insights, in its incisive study on the mining lubricants market, opines that the market is slated for 3.3% growth through the forecast period (2020-2030). Growing investments in Asia Pacific are likely to offset subdued growth in key markets, with coal and iron ore mining sector driving demand.
Manufacturers are working on product differentiation strategies to develop lubricants that have prolific anti-friction properties, high pressure additives and the correct anti-wear agents. Sharper profit margins are underpinned by lubricants used in equipment such as coal crawler excavators.
Key Takeaways of Mining Lubricants Market Study
- The mining lubricants market is slated to reach US$ 2.98 Bn by 2030
- High performing lubricants and greases are growing in demand as covid-19 tightens operating costs
- Coal mining largest application avenue, accounting for over 50% mining lubricants market share
- Open pit mining is heightening the adoption of loaders, roof bolters, draglines and haul trucks thus boosting demand for lubricants
- Bio-based lubricants pipped as a log-term solution, but current market dynamics in favor of synthetic variants
For mining companies, operational and maintenance costs account for a significant share. Increasing awareness among companies about the proper usage of lubricants has decreased the maintenance cost of equipment. Moreover, it has also helped companies to avoid unexpected shutdowns", says an FMI analyst.
Mining Lubricants Market – Competition Landscape
For More Detailed Insights on Mining Lubricants Market
Technological advancements in lubricants is acting as a catalyst for mining lubricants market players to move up the value chain. The mining lubricants marketplace remains moderately fragmented, with Shell, Exxonn Mobil and Chevron as the traditional triumvirate. With size of mining equipment undergoing a seismic shift, manufacturers are strategizing to come out with differentiated offerings that lower maintenance costs.
- Schaeffer, a privately held US company specializing in heavy duty lubricants, has demonstrated the capability of extending working time of mining equipment by several hours. Besides this, the company’s lubricants create a highly durable shield thus reducing metal-to-metal contact and friction
- Total, on the other hand, closely collaborates with its mining company clients, advising them on correct lubricant storage solutions. It recommends the first in, first out approach thus reducing costs on obsolete inventories by as much as 6% - 19%
- Exxon Mobil, in the year 2019, expanded its refinery at Singapore for better upgradation of Group II lubricants stock to remain competitive in the market
COVID-19 Impact on Mining Lubricants
In the first quarter of 2020, lubricant players have bore the brunt of the COVID-19 crisis as the virus rampaged across China, Europe and North America. Many had to fully or partially shut down operations. Sales of lubricants were down by as much as 70%-75% in Asia Pacific. Industry experts predict a gloomy outlook for the near term as it will take a few quarters for the market to come back to normalcy.
With lockdowns in force in Europe, Asia and North America, there has been a cessation in mining activity. Consumption of lubes has dropped and many lube refiners are being forced to cut down their throughput by at least 20%-30%. The daily global oil demand is also set to shrink by a few million barrels leaving an unpleasant residual impact on the mining lubricants market. The use of inventories to meet pending demand and cash reserves will help lubricant manufacturers to sail through this turbulent time in the short-term.
Want to Know More?
Future Market Insights has published a market research report on the Mining lubricants market that contains global industry analysis for 2015–2019 and opportunity assessment for 2020–2030. The report provides insightful analysis of the Mining lubricants market through four different segments- product type, source, application, and region. The Mining lubricants market report also provides demand trends of different types across industry verticals, a comprehensive list of service providers in the market, various projects around the world, along with a detailed overview of the parent market.
About Chemicals & Materials division of FMI
The Chemicals & Materials division at FMI offers distinct and pin-point analysis about the chemicals & materials industry. Coverage of the chemicals market extends from commodity, bulk, specialty and petrochemicals to advanced materials, composites, and nanotechnology. The team also puts special emphasis on ‘green alternatives’, recycling and renewable technology developments, and supply-demand trade assessment. Our research studies are widely referred by chemical manufacturers, research institutions, channel partners, and government bodies for developing – ‘The Way Forward’.
About Future Market Insights (FMI)
Future Market Insights (FMI) is a leading provider of market intelligence and consulting services, serving clients in over 150 countries. FMI is headquartered in London, the global financial capital, and has delivery centres in the U.S. and India. FMI's latest market research reports and industry analysis help businesses navigate challenges and take critical decisions with confidence and clarity amidst breakneck competition. Our customized and syndicated market research reports deliver actionable insights that drive sustainable growth. A team of expert-led analysts at FMI continuously track emerging trends and events in a broad range of industries to ensure that our clients prepare for the evolving needs of their consumers.