Surgical Pain to Account for Around Half of Opioid Analgesics Sales through 2031: FMI
According to a recent study by Future Market Insights (FMI), the global opioid analgesics market is projected to reach US$ 38.97 Bn in 2021, expanding at a 5.4% CAGR over the forecast period.
Opioid Analgesics Market
A recent market study published by Future Market Insights (FMI) on the opioid analgesics...
Opioids are a type of narcotic pain medication used to treat moderate to severe pain, such as diarrhea suppression, cough suppression, anesthesia, cancer pain, injury or trauma, surgical pain, and neuropathic pain.
Increasing incidence of chronic conditions such as cancer and chronic pulmonary obstructive disease (COPD) in the geriatric population is spurring demand for opioid analgesics. Opioids effectively help in post-operative pain management and pain caused by orthopedic disorders, resulting in high demand for the same.
As per the American Cancer Society, the global incidence of cancer was 19.3 million in 2020. According to the National Cancer Institute, 20% to 50% of cancer patients suffer from pain continuous pain.
Around 80% of patients suffering from advanced-stage cancer have severe pain. By 2030, the global burden of cancer is expected to grow to 21.7 million new cancer cases, majorly because of the growing aging population. As a result, sales of opioid analgesics are projected to rise in tandem.
Opioid analgesics are effective in relieving pain; however, excess consumption of opioids can result in mental and physical dependency. In response to this, manufacturers are investing in research and development to launch non-addictive opioid variants.
- Based on drug class, the oxycodone segment is expected to hold a market share of 19.7% in 2020.
- In terms of indication, the surgical pain segment is projected to hold 45.5% of the total opioid analgesics market share.
- The oral route of administration segment is expected to expand at a 6.5% CAGR through 2031.
- Sales of opioid analgesics through hospital pharmacies are projected to generate revenues worth Us$ 23,355.2 Mn by 2031.
- The U.S. is projected to lead the North America opioid analgesics market, capturing 86% of the total market share in 2021.
- Germany will emerge as a lucrative market with sales growing at a 3.8% CAGR in 2021.
- The U.K. is projected to lead the Europe opioid analgesics market, expanding at a 4.7% CAGR through 2031.
- China is anticipated to account for 54.2% of the East Asia opioid analgesics market share in 2021.
- Sales of opioid analgesics in India are expected to account for 35.4% of the South Asia market share in 2021.
- Japan opioid analgesics market is projected to expand at a 5.6% CAGR, and South Korea will account for 14.5% of the East Asia market share.
“Increasing adoption of opioid maintenance treatment (OMT) to treat opioid dependence (OD), along with availability of opioid medications through online retail channels will continue providing tailwinds to opioid analgesics sales,” says an FMI analyst.
Leading companies operating in the global opioid analgesics market are investing in research and development to launch commercially available and non-addictive opioids in the market to gain a competitive edge. Apart from this, mergers, acquisitions, and collaborations will remain a part of prominent growth strategies used by market players. Fos instance:
- In September 2018, Novartis, an international healthcare organization, signed an agreement for the marketing, sales, and distribution of well-known pain medicine brands Voltaren (diclofenac sodium) and Cataflam (diclofenac potassium) in Malaysia, Thailand, and the Philippines.
More Insights into Opioid Analgesics Market Report
Future Market Insights brings the comprehensive research report on forecasted revenue growth at global, regional, and country levels and provides an analysis of the latest industry trends in each of the sub-segments from 2016 to 2031. The global opioid analgesics market is segmented in detail to cover every aspect of the market and present a complete market intelligence approach to the reader. The study provides compelling insights on opioid analgesics segment based on drug class (morphine, codeine, fentanyl, meperidine, methadone, tramadol, oxycodone, dextromethorphan, buprenorphine and others), indication (surgical pain, cancer pain, neuropathic pain and other), route of administration (oral, parenteral, transdermal and other) distribution channel (hospitals, retail pharmacies, drug stores and online pharmacies) and across seven major regions.
About the Healthcare Division at Future Market Insights
Future Market Insights facilitates corporates, government, investors, and associated audiences in the healthcare sector to identify and accentuate vital aspects applicable to product strategy, regulatory landscape, technology evolution, and other crucial issues to achieve sustainable success. Our unique approach to gathering market intelligence equips you in devising innovation-driven trajectories for your business. Know more about our sector coverage here
About Future Market Insights (FMI)
Future Market Insights (FMI) is a leading provider of market intelligence and consulting services, serving clients in over 150 countries. FMI is headquartered in Dubai, and has delivery centers in the UK, U.S. and India. FMI's latest market research reports and industry analysis help businesses navigate challenges and make critical decisions with confidence and clarity amidst breakneck competition. Our customized and syndicated market research reports deliver actionable insights that drive sustainable growth. A team of expert-led analysts at FMI continuously tracks emerging trends and events in a broad range of industries to ensure that our clients prepare for the evolving needs of their consumers.
- Global Digital Pathology Market
- Healthcare Regulatory Affairs Outsourcing Market
- Cold Plasma Market
- Hdl Cholesterol Kits Market
- Single Dose Radiotherapy Services Market
- General Anesthesia Drugs Market
- Clinical Trials Market
- Injectable Drug Delivery Market
- Microfluidics Market
- Lab Automation Market
- Lung Cancer Surgery Market
- Veterinary Vaccines Market
- Prescription Delivery Services Market
- Vital Signs Monitoring Devices Market
- Weight Loss And Obesity Management Market