Oscillating Positive Expiratory Pressure Devices Market – Key Research Findings
- The global oscillating positive expiratory pressure (OPEP) devices market was valued at ~US$ 100 Mn in 2018.
- The oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of ~5% during the forecast period of 2019-2029.
- The mouthpiece oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices segment is expected to remain the most preferred product type segment in the oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices market.
- The growth of this particular segment can be primarily attributed to ease-of-use and wide adoption for respiratory patients.
- North America is stipulated to account for half of the revenue share in the OPEP devices industry by the end of 2029.
- The East Asia market is estimated to continue to be an opportunistic market for oscillating positive expiratory pressure device manufacturers and distributors, owing to increasing awareness about these devices among healthcare professionals and demand for drug-free disease management options.
- The chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) segment is projected to continue as a prominent segment in terms of revenue, generating significant growth opportunities for oscillating positive expiratory pressure device market players.
- Over the past decade, the oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices market has experienced a series of innovations in terms of design, which has helped attain enhanced efficacy and ease of use.
- The hospital pharmacies segment, by distribution channel, is projected to continue as the prominent channel throughout the forecast period in the oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices market. Acute as well as sever episodes of COPD-related exacerbation is the prime reason behind the significant growth of the hospital pharmacies segment.
- Exacerbation related to COPD often requires extensive care. Patients with acute exacerbation are often advised to undergo airway clearance therapy. As such, oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices have the highest sales in healthcare settings.
Key Factors Shaping the OPEP Devices Market
Increasing Respiratory Diseases Generating Demand for OPEP Devices
Respiratory diseases with increased mucus production often require airway clearance therapies, and oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices provide the desired option for such therapies. Other conventional therapies such as chest physical therapy, positive expiratory pressure devices, and bronchodilators often provide limited relief from coughing with low mucus excretion.
Respiratory diseases are often linked to increased mucus production. Excessive mucus generation often interferes with the treatment of chronic respiratory diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis, asthma, etc. Increasing prevalence of smoking among the general population is the prime cause of respiratory diseases.
Healthcare professionals often look for alternative and comparatively economical ways for the treatment of chronic diseases such as COPD, and oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices provide the exact benefit with airway clearance.
Ease of Use of OPEP Devices Expected to Present Big Gains
Oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices can be used in any setting. The simple technique to use oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices often draws more traction among people with respiratory diseases. Oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices can be disassembled and reassembled with ease.
The effortless disassembling process helps in quickly cleaning the device after use using various simple methods such as autoclaving, boiling, or in a dishwasher. Oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices can be used by patients in any position, which allows patients with the severe form of COPD to use the device as per his convenient position, especially during hospitalization.
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.
Reduced Cost of Managing Pulmonary Diseases with OPEP Devices
The economic burden of pulmonary diseases is often high due to the prolonged nature of the disease, higher cost treatment, etc. Oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices help expel mucus effectively. Excessive mucus production often makes the management of cystic fibrosis and other respiratory diseases costly. Excessive mucus production in these patients often affects the quality of life and increases their economic burden, significantly.
Oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices help in expelling mucus on a daily basis, resulting in lower hindrance in the efficacy of drug administration for the treatment of pulmonary diseases. Various studies are being carried out to evaluate the economic impact of oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices in managing pulmonary diseases, and studies have shown that, there is reduced economic burden when oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices are used.
Oscillating Positive Expiratory Pressure (OPEP) devices Market Structure Analysis
- The global oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices market is dominated by top 2 manufacturers with a revenue share of ~65%.
- Expansion of business through mergers, acquisitions, collaborations, and alliances are the strategies followed by key players in the oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices
- Major players in the oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices market are Smiths Medical, Inc., Allergan plc, Monaghan Medical Corporation, Trudell Medical International, Cegla GmbH & Co. KG, PARI GmbH, WyMedical Pty Ltd, AirPhysio, Medica Holdings, LLC., D-R BURTON HEALTHCARE, and others.
OPEP Devices - Aligning with Transition to Value-based Healthcare
With the rapid pace of technological advancements in recent years, medical devices have witnessed significant developments, but continue to face additional obstacles as compared to consumer goods. Medtech companies are required to understand multiple stakeholders – patients, users, healthcare professionals, providers, and payers.
In the medical device manufacturing space, which is burdened with regulatory compliance, newer paradigm revolution, such as Industry 4.0, is envisaged to change the landscape – expanding the boundaries of innovative manufacturing opportunities and enabling the use of highly sophisticated technology.
As such, oscillating positive expiratory pressure (OPEP) devices have grabbed the spotlight amid the rise of chronic lung diseases, especially among the aging population, and the transition of the healthcare industry to value-based care.
The demand for airway clearance devices such as OPEP device are receiving significant impetus from the rising prevalence of cystic fibrosis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). According to the World Health Organization, COPD exacerbations are major events in the history of the disease, related mortality and disability will continue to increase worldwide until the next years, thereby potentially raising the demand for OPEP devices.
Demand Bolstered by Real-world Studies Supporting OPEP Devices’ Efficiency
In recent years, OPEP devices have garnered significant traction as a viable non-pharmacological therapy for increasing mobilization and elimination of mucus hypersecretions in the airways with the help of mucus clearance devices. In addition to decreasing viscoelastic properties of mucus plugs, OPEP devices help reduce breathlessness, prevent recurring infection, reduce re-hospitalization, and improve the quality of life.
In line with ever-growing patients’ expectations in quality of care, drug-free and non-invasive therapies have been making greater strides in the healthcare industry, and the result is likely to lead to increased demand for oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices. However, stringent regulatory guidelines set by the FDA for approval of medical devices continue to act as a roadblock for the OPEP devices market growth. Manufacturers are thus focusing on improving protocol compliance, reducing risks, and enhancing the workflow for healthcare providers.
Oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices are also being introduced to the standard of care for postoperative patients. During the postoperative period, pulmonary complications are a major cause of morbidity and mortality which are associated with substantial clinical and economic burden to the patients.
Real-world studies have found that the use of OPEP devices in combination with current standard care among post-operative patients after the development of PPCs (postoperative pulmonary complications) can improve outcomes, reduce re-hospitalizations, and lower associated hospital costs.
High-income Regions Present High Sales Opportunities
Amid the incessant rise of pollution level and rapidly changing lifestyles, respiratory disorders are growing in prevalence across the globe, creating constant demand for mucus clearing devices such as OPEP devices. High-income regions such as North America and Europe continue to be in the vanguard of the OPEP devices market, in the view of greater awareness among patients, advanced healthcare facilities, and strong presence of market players.
As the level of awareness of such devices are relatively low in mid- and low-income regions, market stakeholders are preparing for strategic collaborations and partnerships to enhance their distribution channels
Key Stakeholders Leaning on Online Pharmacies; Startups Gaining Ground
Regional markets for oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices continue to face limited availability of products, as key players operate in specific countries or regions. To attract a wider patient pool and increase their global reach, market players are tapping into opportunities in the e-commerce sector, which is likely to minimize costs associated with supply, distribution, and operations.
Apart from introducing a comprehensive line of products and technologies, manufacturers are targeted towards creating variation in their products to maintain an innovation supremacy. A number of medical device startups are also making foray into the fairly consolidated market with feature-rich products.
For instance, in June 2019, Solopep – an Ireland-based medical device startup – announced that it has developed ‘disposable’ oscillating positive expiratory pressure device for people with COPD, cystic fibrosis, and bronchiectasis. The development of disposable OPEP devices was necessitated by high maintenance requirement and risk factors associated with the conventional devices.
How Growth Will Unfold
Considering an increase in healthcare expenditure per capita in both developed and developing countries, the marketplace of medical devices such as oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices will continue to witness a steady growth. Creating greater awareness among patients and professionals will further add to the advantage of the market players.
Although the oscillating positive expiratory pressure devices market is still at its nascent stage, manufacturers will need to track the potential of emerging technologies to stay ahead of the pack. Further, regulatory compliance will remain a key to ensuring product quality and increasing patient satisfaction. In addition to offering customization of patient-specific products, stakeholders in the OPEP devices market are likely to enhance their ability to innovate and respond quickly to changing ways.
- Facemask OPEP Devices
- Mouthpiece OPEP Devices
- Bottle OPEP Devices
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies/ Online Sales
- North America
- Latin America
- South Asia
- East Asia
- Middle East & Africa