This Patellar Implant market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Patellar Implant market.
The patella, or the kneecap, is a thick, circular-triangular bone and functions as a cover and joint for the anterior articular surface consisting of the thigh bone. The patella allows the knee to extend while it discourages lateral movement and dislocation during flexion.
Patellar Implant Market: Drivers and Restraints
The increasing incidence rate of knee diseases including arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, psoriatic arthritis, trauma and others is a critical driver for the global patellar implant market. The growing number of diseases is driven indirectly by a rise in risk factors such as poor diet, sedentary lifestyles, obesity, occupations with high levels of joint stress and others. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, osteoarthritis affects over 30 Million U.S. adults. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention further states that almost 800,000 total knee replacements were performed in the U.S. in 2017, making it the most common inpatient surgery. The statistics further emphasize that knee replacement surgeries increased by 86% in men and 99% in women during the last decade.
Technological advancements in patellar implants such as improvements in design and development of inert materials and coatings to combat implant-based trauma and avoid biological rejection have resulted in faster market growth for patellar implants. Development of zirconium-based patellar implants with low coefficient of friction and less chondral damage also provides a lucrative avenue for market growth. Advancements in surgical procedures such as the development of minimally-invasive quadriceps-sparing knee replacement surgery, which involves smaller footprint and lesser hospitalization stay owing to its minimally invasive nature are largely driving the market demand for patellar implants. Development of complementary diagnostic imaging technologies such as computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging and others has resulted in greater confidence and a concurrent number of procedures being performed.
Market Growth Analysis
Disclaimer: This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in the report.
The restraints on the global patellar implant market include the high cost of the procedure, risk of infection and rejection, thrombosis, and pain during surgery. The scarcity of trained manpower and specialty hospitals, coupled with the low per capita income in developing regions, are further constraining the market. Infection rates are less than 1% in cases, while deep vein thrombosis – which represents the most serious risk – occurs in less than 15% of the patients. Other risks include persistent pain or stiffness after surgery, which occurs in 8 to 23% of the patients and prosthesis failure occurs in approximately 2% of patients. Such challenges could deter market growth of patellar implants during the forecast period.
Patellar Implant Market: Overview
The global market for patellar implants is consolidated with a few large players dominating the scene. The monopsony market is reducing competition driving the price higher which is driving the market value but reducing market expanse. The market trends include a definite shift in favor of developing regions of Asia Pacific, such as India and China. There is also a strong trend of collaboration between large hospitals and third party payers owing to the growing expanse of healthcare insurance.
Patellar Implant Market: Regional Wise Outlook
The global patellar implant market can be classified into the following region: North America, Latin America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia-Pacific, Japan, Middle East and Africa. North America, led by the U.S., is expected to account for the largest share in the global patellar implant market, owing to the concentration of key market players, enhanced purchasing power of healthcare players owing to consolidation, large research and development expenditure, excellent reimbursement and large per capita income in the region.
The Asia Pacific patellar implant market excluding Japan is expected to grow at the most significant CAGR, owing to the growing healthcare expenditure and patient population. China and India are expected to account for the lion’s share of the market growth. The Europe patellar implant market is expected to be led by Germany, France and the U.K., which is benefitted by the large and developed medical devices sector in Germany. The Middle East and Africa Patellar implant market is expected to be skewed in favor of the gulf economies of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Qatar. The development of large medical complexes such as the King Fahd hospital in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia coupled with the large public healthcare share of which is approximately 75% of the total healthcare expenditure is expected to drive a large market for patellar implants.
Patellar Implant Market: Market Participants
Some of the major players operating in the global patellar implant market are Zimmer Biomet, DePuy Synthes (Johnson & Johnson), Stryker, Medacta International, Sharma Orthopedic India Pvt. Ltd., Arthrosurface, Kinamed Incorporated, Smith & Nephew and others. Collaborations between players and strategic business partnerships are among the most attractive strategies, which can yield a premium. Partnerships between large hospitals and players is a neglected strategy that can yield dividend, owing to the faster adoption and lower cost.
The research report presents a comprehensive assessment of the market and contains thoughtful insights, facts, historical data, and statistically supported and industry-validated market data. It also contains projections using a suitable set of assumptions and methodologies. The research report provides analysis and information according to market segments such as geographies, application, and industry.
The report covers exhaust analysis on:
- Market Segments
- Market Dynamics
- Market Size
- Supply & Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies involved
- Value Chain
Regional analysis includes:
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico. Brazil)
- Western Europe (Germany, Italy, France, U.K, Spain)
- Eastern Europe (Poland, Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, ASEAN, Australia & New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC Countries, S. Africa, Northern Africa)
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Patellar Implant Market Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
Patellar Implant Market: Segmentation
To gain a bird’s eye view of the global patellar implant market, the report is segmented on the basis of material of construction, cementing technique, sex, end user and region.
Based on the material of construction, the global patellar implant market can be segmented as,
Based on the cementing technique, the global patellar implant market can be segmented as,
- Cement less
Based on the sex, the global patellar implant market can be segmented as,
Based on the end user, the global patellar implant market can be segmented as,
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current, and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose FMI?
- With a global presence and a trusted partner to several Fortune 500 firms, FMI covers 1 billion+ data points to build a diversified portfolio for market benchmarking
- Market Reports researched and peer reviewed by industry experts from across the globe
- We follow a multi-dimensional method of analysis monitoring a three-layer data validation process
- In addition to demand-side market assessment, our data triangulation methodology involves supply-side research
- Primary research includes mandatory field interviews with stakeholders involved
- Customizing reports according to client specification is also our forte
What will you discover from Patellar Implant Market report?
- The current and future market size, covering each aspect and nuanced trends across key national and geographic markets
- An overview of the market report, providing an imperative visual of the varied market subdivisions and overall forecast statistics in terms of value and volume
- Extensive database and key dynamics elevating the market with varied verticals associated
- Underlying Patellar Implant Market forces that are compelling consumers or businesses to purchase the product
- How novel technologies and consumer-centric innovations will create new value-adding opportunities for companies active in the Patellar Implant Market
- What will be environment and regulatory impacts on the market over the next decade
Which framework has been used to develop the Patellar Implant Market report?
- Investment Feasibility Matrix - It shows returns on investment, level of competition, success rate of investment, and potential risks associated with the market. The analysis shows that the competition is high in the established market, while the returns for short-term investment are also taken into consideration
- Relative Maturity Mapping – The relative maturity is measured according to three growth phases (growth, maturity, decline)
- Relative PLC (Product Life Cycle) – Analysis of the emergence of prominent players and competitive test prices which are driving factors behind every market. (expected market behavior, observed market behavior, expected market performance, observed market performance)