This Retinal Gene Therapy market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Retinal Gene Therapy market.
Retinal gene therapy is performed for inherited retinal diseases. Gene therapy can improve the vision impairment caused by mutation in RPE65 gene. The recently launched retinal gene therapy, Luxturna, is being used for patient with Leber congenital amaurosis type 2, it is a form of inherited disease which causes impaired vision at birth leading to a more progressive degeneration. There are many retinal gene therapy clinical trials present at the moment using recombinant viruses.
Retinal Gene Therapy Market: Drivers and Restraints
Retinal gene therapy is projected to grow at an enormous rate. Retina is a desirable target for gene therapy, it is growing because of it being an irreplaceable part of human body. Retinal gene therapy market is expected to experience new entrants, with promising candidates in clinical phases of drug approval.
Market Growth Analysis
Disclaimer: This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in the report.
The market is expanding exponentially over the last year, with many drugs in ongoing clinical trials. Currently, retinal gene therapy market have only one FDA approved product, Luxturna from Spark Therapeutics. The product received FDA approval in year 2017, starting an era of possible retinal gene therapy. Recently it was announced that Roche is interested in purchasing the company for approximately US$ 4.8 Bn, the interests from leading pharmaceutical manufacturers highlight the potential within this retinal gene therapy market. The market is influenced with a high prevalence of Stargardt disease, a common type of inherited retinal dystrophies, prevalence of around 1 in 12,000. Accurate and early diagnosis can lead to a better market structure, with patients willing to enroll in the clinical trials process. More number of approved products can lead to a more convenient reach for patients. The availability of the approved therapy is also minimal in emerging economies, if available, emerging countries can be the most attractive segments in terms of value addition. Qualified surgeons and standard infrastructure is required for retinal gene therapy procedures, it involves a surgical and delivery plan with great precision. Socio-economic condition can lead to the late entry of such modality in emerging countries. But, if treatment is present for a previously stated incurable disorder, it should reach out to as many as possible. Cost associated with the retinal gene therapy is considerably high as observed in other gene therapy procedures. The cost of retinal gene therapy is estimated to be around US$ 450,000 to US$ 850,000 in the US
Retinal Gene Therapy Market: Overview
The global market for retinal gene therapy would expand with the emergence of new manufacturers and better technological advances. Retinal gene therapy is favored to become the standard treatment, given the advantages with eye it has been at the forefront of translation research of gene therapy. The research initiatives for retinal gene therapy date back to the mid-1990s. The success of the very first retinal gene therapy will be replicated by other entrants, it just require a planned clinical trial platform for human testing to observe the level of expression achieved.
Retinal Gene Therapy Market: Regional Wise Outlook
Geographically, the retinal gene therapy market is segmented into seven regions viz. South Asia, East Asia, North America, Latin America, Oceania, Europe, and Middle East and Africa. The North America retinal gene therapy market is the leader in the concerned global retinal gene therapy market. The only product approved is from a US based manufacturer, which reflects to the current market share for North America. The retinal gene therapy is also available in Europe from Spark Therapeutics. The deal is such that Novartis has exclusive rights to commercialize and distribute “Luxturna” in Europe and in all other countries outside the US, when regularized for use. So, clearly the current market for retinal gene therapy is consolidated in these two region.
The only player involved in this market of retinal gene therapy is Spark Therapeutics, Inc. The present market structure of retinal gene therapy is expected to change with efforts and research present in clinical phase.
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments.
The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
- Market Segments
- Market Dynamics
- Market Size
- Supply & Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies involved
- Technology Matrix
- Value Chain
Regional analysis of the Retinal Gene Therapy market report includes
- North America
- Latin America
- South Asia
- East Asia
- Middle East and Africa
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Retinal Gene Therapy Market Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
Retinal Gene Therapy Market: Segmentation
Tentatively, the global retinal gene therapy market has been segmented on the basis of product type, end user and geography.
Based on product type, the global retinal gene therapy market is segmented as
- Voretigene Neparvovec
Based on end user, the global retinal gene therapy market is segmented as:
- Specialty Clinics
- Academic Research Institutes
Retinal Gene Therapy Market Report Highlights:
- Overview of Global Healthcare Market
- Evolution of the technology
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose FMI?
- With a global presence and a trusted partner to several Fortune 500 firms, FMI covers 1 billion+ data points to build a diversified portfolio for market benchmarking
- Market Reports researched and peer reviewed by industry experts from across the globe
- We follow a multi-dimensional method of analysis monitoring a three-layer data validation process
- In addition to demand-side market assessment, our data triangulation methodology involves supply-side research
- Primary research includes mandatory field interviews with stakeholders involved
- Customizing reports according to client specification is also our forte
What will you discover from Retinal Gene Therapy Market report?
- The current and future market size, covering each aspect and nuanced trends across key national and geographic markets
- An overview of the market report, providing an imperative visual of the varied market subdivisions and overall forecast statistics in terms of value and volume
- Extensive database and key dynamics elevating the market with varied verticals associated
- Underlying Retinal Gene Therapy Market forces that are compelling consumers or businesses to purchase the product
- How novel technologies and consumer-centric innovations will create new value-adding opportunities for companies active in the Retinal Gene Therapy Market
- What will be environment and regulatory impacts on the market over the next decade
Which framework has been used to develop the Retinal Gene Therapy Market report?
- Investment Feasibility Matrix - It shows returns on investment, level of competition, success rate of investment, and potential risks associated with the market. The analysis shows that the competition is high in the established market, while the returns for short-term investment are also taken into consideration
- Relative Maturity Mapping – The relative maturity is measured according to three growth phases (growth, maturity, decline)
- Relative PLC (Product Life Cycle) – Analysis of the emergence of prominent players and competitive test prices which are driving factors behind every market. (expected market behavior, observed market behavior, expected market performance, observed market performance)