Gene Synthesis Market to Click US$ 1 Bn in 2025
Gene synthesis has been making significant strides in various research fields with the emergence of synthetic biology. Realizing its potential in developing anti-malarial drugs and antibiotics, medical research centers such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH) are investing in genomic research. By 2025, worldwide revenue of the gene synthesis market will surpass US$ 1 Bn. Market players are pairing up with research institutes, biopharmaceutical companies, and clinical research organizations (CROs) to develop and upgrade primary healthcare technologies as well as new products and services.
Base Year Considered
Actual Estimates/Historical Data
2014 - 2018
2019 - 2029
Value (USD) Mn
Service, Application, End User, and Region
North America (US & Canada), Europe (UK, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Russia, BENELUX and Rest of Europe), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and Rest of LA), East Asia (China, Japan and South Korea) South Asia (India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Rest of South Asia), Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) and MEA (GCC, South Africa, Turkey, Northern Africa and Rest of MEA)
GenScript Biotech Corporation, Eurofins Scientific and Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. Major 15 players covered.
Revenue forecast, company share, competitive landscape, growth factors, and trends.
Gene Synthesis Market - Key Research Findings
- The global gene synthesis services market size in 2018 was valued at US$ 300 Mn.
- The gene synthesis services market is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of nearly 20% over the forecast period of 2019-2029.
- The services segment is expected to remain the most preferred type in the gene synthesis services market.
- The growth of this particular segment can be primarily attributed to rising interest and acceptance amongst researchers and diagnostic centers due to cost-effectiveness, sensitivity, and efficacy.
- North America is set to account for one-third of the revenue share in the global gene synthesis market by the end of 2029.
- The North America market is estimated to continue to be an opportunistic market for gene synthesis providers.
- Academic and research institutes will continue to be a prominent end-use category in creating significant growth opportunities for gene synthesis market players.
- Standard gene synthesis and custom gene synthesis are expected to witness relatively high demand in research institutes, due to quality products and demand from customers. Gene synthesis procedure-related equipment will also witness significant growth.
- Therefore, with increase in the number of genomic-based studies for the development of noble therapeutics, academic and research institutes will continue to be challenged to deliver high class research outputs, and this is anticipated to increase the market growth of gene synthesis services, globally.
Key Factors Shaping Gene Synthesis Market
Customized Solution Offerings for Specific Needs Presenting Lucrative Opportunities for Market Growth
Due to the research community’s ever-evolving needs, the demand for specialized gene types has grown to the point where most vendors that are currently offering these services cannot depend solely on sales from catalog services.
Some examples of customized solutions in the gene synthesis market include express genes services, complex genes services, gene fragment services, fast gene synthesis, and PCR fragments, which are offered to match researchers’ demand for a particular type of gene.
Research users tend to prefer specific solutions for their gene requirements, to avoid the time and effort required to validate custom genes prior to use in critical experiments. Vendors usually focus on establishing a strong distribution network to enable services to reach customers from their manufacturing facilities within a short time duration.
Strategic Acquisitions and Mergers
Top players are focusing on acquisitions at regional levels. This trend is being observed across North America, Europe, and in Asian countries such as India, Japan, and China. Such strategies also enable companies to enter new emerging markets as well as enhance their presence in existing markets. For instance, in 2018, Vigene and ASC Therapeutics announced a long-term strategic partnership for gene therapy development and manufacturing.
More Collaborative Activities between Key Players and Research Institutes Propelling Demand for Gene Synthesis Services
Rapidly increasing collaborative activities, including collaborations and agreements undertaken by gene synthesis service providers with research institutes, biopharmaceutical companies, and clinical research organizations (CROs), are expected to propel the growth of the gene synthesis market over the forecast period.
Companies enter into collaborations with an aim to develop and upgrade key healthcare technologies, as well as develop new products and services.
Gene Synthesis Market: Structure Analysis
- The global gene synthesis market is a highly consolidated market. Approximately 70% - 80% share of the market is held by tier-1 players.
- In high-impact markets such as the U.S. and Europe, there are stringent regulations for the approval of gene synthesis products for diagnostic applications. Also, the approval of reagents that is needed to fulfil the requirement of Biologics License Application (BLA), New Drug Application (NDA), CE Mark, or other regulatory filing, limits growth opportunities for the gene synthesis market, especially among emerging players.
- Continuous investments in providing robust services have led to the commercialization of gene synthesis services that have the ability to be incorporated into many solutions.
- Major players in the gene synthesis market are GenScript Biotech Corporation, Eurofins Scientific, and Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Global gene synthesis market players are also focussed on emerging markets such as Brazil, India, and Mexico, thanks to their significant marketing network of distributors. Moreover, due to strategic partnerships and tie-ups with local sales bodies, and presence of international offices in other regions, major players can deliver their service offerings to retain their customer base.
Gene Synthesis Services Stays Atop
Market players continue to create considerable value from gene synthesis services, owing to their high efficacy and sensitivity. In addition, gene synthesis services are relatively cheaper, and, as such, are highly preferable among customers. Under the service category, standard and custom gene synthesis services would be leading the way. Together, both these services procure around ¾ of revenue generated by gene synthesis services. Furthermore, market players are uncovering new revenue lines in gene fragments and GMP gene synthesis services, which are exhibiting a growth rate of over 20%.
North America in Vanguard, Asia Emerges as Fastest-growing Market
North America is at the forefront when it comes to advanced healthcare infrastructure and well-established service laboratories. Moreover, governments in the region have been heavily funding medical research and novel drug development. By 2026, the gene synthesis market in North America will cross half-a-billion in revenue. Governments in Asia are also carving out a notable proportion of their budgets for genomic and cancer research. Emerging as a global destination for R&D investments, market players are shifting their focus towards Asia to substantially boost their value creation.
* This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in report.
Market Players Must Turn to Molecular Services to Stay Competitive
Although the gene synthesis market consists of several large- and small-scale players, there are limited companies completely focused on providing molecular services. Keeping sole focus on molecular services improves the quality of service, customer loyalty, as well as an established distribution network that ensures product availability, globally. R&D expenditure on life sciences has been prominent, and is expected to grow stably in the coming years. Players investing in delivering molecular diagnostics services to cater to research requirements will be well placed for outsized returns.
High preference for gene synthesis services
Gene fragment services to gain rapid momentum
Research and development activities remain primary application area
Adoption in diagnostics to jump
Academic and research institutes remain leading end user
Application in contract research organizations (CROs) to surge
How Growth will Unfold
Academic and research institutes house strong scientific and technological expertise. They have been focusing on advanced basic research, including applied research, especially when governments prefer cost-effective approaches to conduct development projects. As genomic-based studies for the development of noble therapeutics continue to swell, academic and research institutes are likely to strive in delivering high-class research outputs. While they will generate greater total returns to shareholders, employment of gene synthesis in pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies are offering white spaces to market players.
* This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in report.Click Here To Know How The Growth Will Unfold
Custom Market Research Services
FMI offers custom market research services that help clients to get information on their business scenario required where syndicated solutions are not enough.
A recent market study published by Future Market Insights on the gene synthesis market includes global industry analysis of 2014-2018 and opportunity assessment for 2019-2029, and delivers a comprehensive assessment of the most important market dynamics. After conducting thorough research on the historical as well as current growth parameters of the market, the growth prospects of the market are obtained with maximum precision.
Gene Synthesis Market Taxonomy
The global gene synthesis market is segmented in detail to cover every aspect of the market and present a complete market intelligence approach to the reader.
- Gene Synthesis Services
- Standard Gene Services
- Express Gene Services
- Complex Gene Services
- Custom Gene Synthesis
- Gene Fragments Services
- GMP Gene Synthesis
- Research & Developmental Activities
- Other Applications
- Academic & Research Institutes
- Biotechnology Companies
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Contract Research Organizations (CROs)
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia
- Middle East and Africa (MEA)
The report initiates with the executive summary of the gene synthesis market, which includes a summary of key findings and statistics of the market. It also includes supply-side and demand-side trends pertaining to the gene synthesis market.
Readers can find the definition and a detailed segmentation of the gene synthesis market in this chapter, which will help them understand the basic information about the gene synthesis market. Along with this, comprehensive information pertaining to types of gene synthesis services and their features are provided in this section. This section also highlights the inclusions and exclusions, which helps the reader understand the scope of the gene synthesis market report.
Gene synthesis market report provides the key market trends that are expected to significantly impact market growth during the forecast period. Detailed industry trends are provided in this section.
This section includes the key successful factors and strategies being adopted by key market participants.
This section explains the global market value analysis and forecast for the gene synthesis market during the forecast period. This chapter includes a detailed analysis of the historical gene synthesis market, along with an opportunity analysis of the future. Readers can also find the absolute $ opportunity for the current year (2019), and an incremental $ opportunity for the forecast period (2019-2029).
This section gives information about drivers and restraints of the gene synthesis market. This section also includes macroeconomic factors and various opportunities of the gene synthesis market.
Based on service type, the gene synthesis market is segmented into gene synthesis service, gene fragments service, GMP gene synthesis, and others. In this chapter, readers can find information about Y-o-Y growth and market attractiveness analysis based on service.
Based on application, the gene synthesis market is segmented into diagnostics, therapeutics, research & developmental activities and other applications. In this chapter, readers can understand the Y-o-Y growth and market attractiveness analysis based on application.
This chapter provides details about the gene synthesis market based on the end user, and has been classified into (biotechnology companies, academic & research institutes, pharmaceutical companies, contract research organizations (CRO)). In this chapter, readers can understand the market attractiveness analysis based on end user.
This chapter explains how the gene synthesis market will grow across various geographic regions such as North America, Latin America, Europe, East Asia, South Asia, Oceania and Middle East & Africa.
This chapter includes a detailed analysis of growth of the North America gene synthesis market, along with a country-wise assessment that includes the U.S. and Canada. Readers can also find the regional trends, and market growth based on the Service type, application, end user, and countries in North America.
This chapter provides the growth scenario of the gene synthesis market in Latin American countries such as Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and the Rest of Latin America. Along with this, assessment of the market across target segments has been provided.
Important growth prospects of the gene synthesis market based on its end users in several countries such as the U.K., France, Germany, Spain, Italy, BEBELUX, Russia and the Rest of Europe are included in this chapter.
Important growth prospects of the gene synthesis market across target segments in several countries such as China, Japan and South Korea are included in this chapter.
In this chapter, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia countries are the prominent countries in the South Asia region. Readers can find detailed information about the growth parameters of the South Asia gene synthesis market during the forecast period of 2019-2029.
This section highlights the growth prospects of the gene synthesis market for Australia and New Zealand, during the forecast period of 2019-2029.
This chapter provides information about how the gene synthesis market will grow in major countries in the MEA region such as GCC Countries, South Africa, and the Rest of MEA, during the forecast period of 2019-2029.
This chapter highlights the tier structure analysis, market concentration analysis and company share analysis along with sales footprint analysis of key player operating in gene synthesis market.
In this chapter, readers can find a comprehensive list of all the prominent stakeholders in the gene synthesis market, along with a detailed information about each company, which includes company overview, revenue shares, strategic overview, and recent company developments. Some of the market players featured are Aldevron, LLC (US), Applied Biological Materials (abm) (Canada), Inc, Thermo Fisher Scientific (Ireland), BioCat GmbH.( Germany), Bio-synthesis, Inc.(US), Bioneer Corporation (South Korea), Eurofins Scientific (Europe), GENEWIZ (US), GenScript Biotech Corporation (China), ProteoGenix (US), Twist Bioscience (US), Vigene Biosciences (US), Bio Basic Inc.( Canada)
This chapter includes a list of acronyms and assumptions that provides a base to the information and statistics included in the gene synthesis market report.
This chapter help readers understand the research methodology followed to obtain various conclusions as well as important qualitative and quantitative information about the gene synthesis market.
How the research was conducted?
- C - Level Executives
- Service Representatives
- Sales Heads
- Portfolio Managers
- Purchasing Managers
- Researchers & Academicians
- Service Development Heads
- Strategy Advisors
- R&D Managers
- Service Providers
- Institute Purchasing Departments
- Academicians / Contract Manufacturing Managers
- Industry Experts
- Current Market Dynamics and Challenges
- Market Characteristics
- Market Performance and Growth Quadrants
- Competition Structure and Market Structure
- Strategic Growth Initiatives
- Service Adoption Rate
- Service Cost
- Regulatory Landscape
- Near-term and Long-term Market Growth Prospects
- Market Segment Splits and Authenticity
- Opinions on Market Projections and Validity of Assumptions
- Industry Magazines
- Industry Associations
- International Gene Synthesis Consortium
- Asian Synthetic Biology Association
- Industry Publications
- Frontiers Publication
- Hindawi BioMed Research International
- Taylor & Francis
- Company Press Releases
- Annual Reports and Investor Presentations
- Peer-reviewed Journals
- Government Websites and Publications
- Trade Websites
- Country-specific Regulatory Authorities
- World Bank, WHO, IMF, OECD
Primary Interview Splits