This Swab and Viral Transport Medium market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Swab and Viral Transport Medium market.
The medical landscape is in the midst of an upheaval with another bottleneck confronting healthcare systems worldwide. The proliferation of molecular diagnostic testing amid pandemics such as COVID-19 has seen plummeting sales of critical equipment needed to collect and transport samples. This has ramped up production of swabs and transport media thus giving an impetus to the swab and viral transport medium market.
Demand Remains Buoyant as COVID-19 Testing Ramps up
Presently the world is witnessing a huge market opening up for swab and viral transport media. Authorities at the helm are working with hospital systems, states and distributors to cope with orders to the tune of several million plastic vials, tubes, and swabs.
With lockdowns being ordered worldwide to prevent propagation of the virus, manufacturers are working overtime to keep production of swab and viral transport media running. As heavier restrictions seem imminent, key stakeholders are working with suppliers and regional authorities to preserve manufacturing conditions to boost the growth of swab and viral transport medium market.
Market Growth Analysis
Disclaimer: This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in the report.
Nasopharyngeal (NP) Swabs Garner Traction in Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market Space
The lowly nasopharyngeal (NP) swabs, have emerged as frontrunners and have gained prominence as COVID-19 pandemic reaches fever pitch. NP swabs have come into the spotlight on the back of their extra-long, flexible and thin shafts that make it easy for them to reach the NP area inside the nose. In tandem, it is their manufacturing process that is complex and reduces the eventuality of severe contamination of nucleic acids that interfere with real-time PCR systems. Once used, the potency of virus on the swab is kept intact by transporting them in vials full of a solution known as viral transport media which keeps the virus viable and testable. Current test procedures necessitate the need to use two swabs, one for a flu test to rule out the need for coronavirus test and the second one if the flu test comes negative. NP swabs, through research were also found to be more effective in detecting coronavirus from day 8 of symptom onset.
Regions are opening doors for new testing sites which will give an uptick to demand for NP swabs and specialty swabs. Governments are also considering expanding testing material options to pave way for nasal swabs to keep up with demand for increased testing.
Key Stakeholders Double Down on Innovation and Stringency to Facilitate Large-Scale Testing
DiaSorin, a prominent manufacturer of swabs specifies NP swabs in 3 ml of Copan Universal Transport Media (UTM) or BD Viral Transport Media .Manufacturers also opine that swabs with a synthetic tip made from Dacron, nylon, rayon, aluminum and plastic be used. Conventional variants such as calcium alignate swabs that are traditionally used to obtain samples for bacterial culture may contain inhibitory substances that interfere with PCR testing.
Another company Longhorn Vaccines and Diagnostics has come out with a new product called as the PrimeStore Molecular Transport Medium (MTM) that has received the FDA clearance for respiratory samples. The mixture in this formulation is very easy to scale and made from unique reagents not utilized in COVID-19 testing chain. It also inactivates the virus thus obviating potential hazards in the transport process.
The Panther Fusion SARS-CoV-2 test, a brainchild of Hologic recommends the utilization of nylon or rayon tipped swab and has been effectively verified with BD VTM, Copan UTM and transport media formulations from Remel Micro Test. Amid rampant testing, the Centre for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines say that an oropharyngeal swab is an acceptable specimen if NP swabs run short. The BD Universal Viral Transport (UVT) System has amalgamated swabs, vials and pre-packaged kits to facilitate easy collection and transportation for diagnosis of COVID-19. Demand for swab and viral transport media is accelerating as the industry is working with FDA for the validation and approval of other swabs and transport systems for testing of coronavirus.
Competition Landscape Analysis Reveals Exhaustive Overview of Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market
In a separate section that covers the competition scenario of swab and viral transport medium market landscape, the report provides in-depth profiling of the leading players actively operating in this space. Some of the major companies covered in the report include Becton Dickinson (BD), Copan, Puritan, Starplex Scientific, Thermoscientific and Trinity Biotech. Recently this year, a company named Hardy Diagnostics made and shipped transport media for test samples for which an uncapped demand is outstripping production. Millions of dollars’ worth of solution are on order to preserve the virus from tested samples.
In addition to financial profiles of companies, this report section provides insights on their key developmental strategies, SWOT analysis, and global market position. With a systematic tier-wise breakdown of the competitive landscape of the global swab and viral transport medium ecology, the report intends to benefit the key stakeholders operating across the value chain in swab and viral transport medium marketplace, including manufacturers, providers, and suppliers, R&D companies, medical research laboratories, and other potential investors.
The global swab and viral transport medium market report is an extensive assessment of the first-hand information gathered by expert market research analysts, compiled with insightful inputs provided by some of the leading industry experts and value chain participants. Starting with the exhaustive analysis of most impactful trends observed in the swabs and viral transport mediums, the study further extends to significant macroeconomic growth indicators, key growth influencers, taxonomy, and geographical outlook of the swab and viral transport medium market. Emphasizing on the evaluation of attractiveness of each of the market segments and sub-segments, the report throws light on competitive benchmarking.
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
- An overview of evolving market dynamics in the swab and viral transport medium industry
- Detailed segmentation of swab and viral transport medium market
- Historical, current, and prospective examination of market size in terms of value and volume
- Recent developments and influential trends in swab and viral transport mediums
- Opportunity assessment of swab and viral transport medium market
- Competitive landscape analysis of swab and viral transport medium marketplace
- Key player developments in swab and viral transport medium space
- Niche and potential segments in swab and viral transport medium market that reflect promising opportunities
- A neutral perspective on the entire market performance over the forecast period
- Must-have insights in-the-bag for swab and viral transport medium market players
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose FMI?
- With a global presence and a trusted partner to several Fortune 500 firms, FMI covers 1 billion+ data points to build a diversified portfolio for market benchmarking
- Market Reports researched and peer reviewed by industry experts from across the globe
- We follow a multi-dimensional method of analysis monitoring a three-layer data validation process
- In addition to demand-side market assessment, our data triangulation methodology involves supply-side research
- Primary research includes mandatory field interviews with stakeholders involved
- Customizing reports according to client specification is also our forte
What will you discover from Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market report?
- The current and future market size, covering each aspect and nuanced trends across key national and geographic markets
- An overview of the market report, providing an imperative visual of the varied market subdivisions and overall forecast statistics in terms of value and volume
- Extensive database and key dynamics elevating the market with varied verticals associated
- Underlying Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market forces that are compelling consumers or businesses to purchase the product
- How novel technologies and consumer-centric innovations will create new value-adding opportunities for companies active in the Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market
- What will be environment and regulatory impacts on the market over the next decade
Which framework has been used to develop the Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market report?
- Investment Feasibility Matrix - It shows returns on investment, level of competition, success rate of investment, and potential risks associated with the market. The analysis shows that the competition is high in the established market, while the returns for short-term investment are also taken into consideration
- Relative Maturity Mapping – The relative maturity is measured according to three growth phases (growth, maturity, decline)
- Relative PLC (Product Life Cycle) – Analysis of the emergence of prominent players and competitive test prices which are driving factors behind every market. (expected market behavior, observed market behavior, expected market performance, observed market performance)