Increasing demand for high-performance lubricants with optimum viscosity has been a vital factor pushing consumption of viscosity index improvers. Although the global market for viscosity index improvers has been projected to exceed the US$ 5 Bn mark by 2029 end, the overall growth outlook would remain sluggish.
Consistently soaring consumption of vehicle lubricants such as engine oil, transmission fluids, and break oil by OEMs and aftermarket operators will continue to significantly contribute to the growth of viscosity index improvers market.
Viscosity Index Improvers Market Key Takeaways
- The demand for lubricants is estimated to reach 40 Mn Tons by the end of 2019.
- The penetration of high performance lubricants in automotive as well as industrial sectors is increasing with growing focus on lubrication for performance efficiency of industrial machinery and automotive components.
- Increasing labelling initiatives have propelled the demand for ISO-grade viscosity lubricants. High-quality lubricants have optimum viscosity, offer corrosion protection, and ensure oxidative stability.
- Major companies are focused on the development of bio-preferred or bio-based products, which are compliant with the changing regulatory scenario. For instance, Croda International Plc is developing ester-based viscosity index improvers, which are bio-preferred.
- High regulatory standards laid down by organizations such as NHTSA & EPA, and growing emphasis on fuel economy have made the usage of viscosity index improvers crucial.
- Viscosity index improvers are commonly used in multi-grade engine oils. Increased adoption of high-performance engines has boosted the demand for high-quality engine oils with appropriate viscosity, which in turn, is positively impacting the growth of the viscosity index improvers market.
- Other industries such as marine, railways, energy & power generation/transmission equipment are also increasing the demand of high-quality lubricants, thus propelling the growth of viscosity index improvers market.
The viscosity index improvers market is witnessing a paradigm shift in terms of innovation and manufacturing, from traditional synthetic products to bio-based or bio-preferred products that are in compliance with regulatory framework. This transition, along with production cost optimization, will drive substantial demand for the product in automotive as well as non-automotive applications.
For More Detailed Insights on Viscosity Index Improvers Market
Viscosity Index Improvers Market: Competition Landscape
According to FMI analysis, the global viscosity index improvers market is moderately consolidated with key market players such as Infenium International Limited, Chevron Oronite LLC, Afton Chemical Corporation, The Lubrizol Corporation, Evonik Industries AG, and Mitsui Chemicals accounting for a significant share in the global market. Leading market players are strategically engaging in the development of close working relations with lubricant manufacturers for ensuring long-term supply contracts.
Changing Regulatory Scenario Encourages Advancements in Lubrication Technology
The demand for viscosity index improvers is directly proportional to the production rate of lubricants. Changing regulatory scenario and imposition of emission standards have led to the development of high-quality lubricants, which has increased the penetration of lubricant additives such as viscosity index improvers. Development of new customized product variants for target applications along with existing products gives a competitive edge to manufacturers.
What the Report Offers
In its newest market study, Future Market Insights provides decisive analysis on the global viscosity index improvers market and provides significant insights through schematized market research. The report offers in-depth market study of the historical performance from 2014 to 2018, along with forecast statistics for 2019 to 2029. The market study offers comprehensive insights on various aspects of viscosity index improvers market based on product type (Polymethylacrylates, Ethylene Propylene Copolymers, Polyisobutylene, Hydostyrene Diene Copolymer, Others) and application (vehicle lubricants, industrial lubricants, transmission fluids) across the seven regions.
About Chemicals & Materials division of FMI
The Chemicals & Materials division at FMI offers distinct and pin-point analysis about the chemicals & materials industry. Coverage of the chemicals market extends from commodity, bulk, specialty and petrochemicals to advanced materials, composites, and nanotechnology. The team also puts special emphasis on ‘green alternatives’, recycling and renewable technology developments, and supply-demand trade assessment. Our research studies are widely referred by chemical manufacturers, research institutions, channel partners, and government bodies for developing – ‘The Way Forward’.
About Future Market Insights (FMI)
Future Market Insights (FMI) is a leading provider of market intelligence and consulting services, serving clients in over 150 countries. FMI is headquartered in London, the global financial capital, and has delivery centres in the U.S. and India. FMI's latest market research reports and industry analysis help businesses navigate challenges and take critical decisions with confidence and clarity amidst breakneck competition. Our customized and syndicated market research reports deliver actionable insights that drive sustainable growth. A team of expert-led analysts at FMI continuously track emerging trends and events in a broad range of industries to ensure that our clients prepare for the evolving needs of their consumers.