Inline Quality Control Sensors Market
Market Insights on Inline Quality Control Sensors covering sales outlook, demand forecast & up-to-date key trends
Inline Quality Control Sensors Market: Global Industry Analysis 2013 - 2017 and Opportunity Assessment; 2018 - 2028
Inline quality control sensors outlook
Increasing need for detecting contamination to push the demand for Inline quality control sensors
Inline quality measurement enables processes to run with a higher level of control. Changes in the process, caused by raw materials, energy supply, or operational influences, can be detected immediately. Types of inline quality control sensor include Point profile sensors, Line profile sensors, and Snapshot sensors.
- Profile sensors are the speed demons of the 3D smart sensor family. Using a single laser point, these sensors are able to scan at very high speed (32 kHz).
- line profile sensors project a line of laser light onto an object to measure the contour or profile of the surface.
- Snapshot sensors are different from laser-based sensors in that they use blue LED structured light as their projection source.
Inline quality control tracks the process every second to complement lab testing, completing the picture and facilitating continuous quality improvements. Manufacturer offers a wide portfolio of technologies and process instrumentation that help to –
- Ensure product quality and protect your brand
- Avoid product losses
- Increase plant availability
- Reduce raw material
The types of inline quality control methods are checking weighers, sensors as well as machine vision systems. Inline quality control sensors are used for various purposes, such as keeping packaged products in sync, detecting mission packages, and removing waste products from the conveyor belt.
The pharmaceutical industry and the food & beverages industries have extensive rules and regulations governing the quality of the manufacturing and packaging process thus these inline quality control sensors are mostly used in these industries.
Inline quality control sensors are mostly used for detecting contamination in packed foods, quality control in packaging processes, and ensuring reliable air-tight packaging. Inline quality control also ensures product quality, avoid product loss and increase plant availability.
Assembly and error-proofing applications can be costly if not done correctly. Solutions for these applications range from single-point lasers to complex camera systems requiring appropriate lighting.
Growing innovation in food & beverage packaging technologies and stringent regulations for packaging boost the growth of the inline quality control sensor market. The growing research and development and frequent upgrades in the sensor technology, significantly enhance their ability to detect several parameters inline
Rules and regulations in the packaging industry are subject to changes. Increasingly stringent standards to ensure quality of products and their safety are being implemented. Manufacturers of both end products as well as packaging formats must meet various standards in order to sustain in the market. Conventionally, there are several different types of inline quality control methods that are being currently used. These include check weighers, sensors as well as machine vision systems. Of these, packaging line quality control sensors have been witnessing steady growth since the past few years as these have become more sophisticated and can now detect various parameters in a product. Inline quality control sensors are used for various purposes, such as keeping packaged products in sync, detecting mission packages and removing waste products from the conveyor belt.
Inline quality control sensors market: Research Methodology
Both supply and demand side analysis were performed to arrive at the market size for inline qulaity control sensors.
The key manufacturers of various inline quality control sensors were identified and their revenues were recorded from various databases and their annual reports. Segmental revenue was then calculated to determine the percentage of revenue share that is generated from the sales of inline quality control sensors. Various focused group discussions were conducted, supported by interviews with marketing heads of inline quality control sensor manufacturers, independent consultants and distributors among others, to validate the data.
The overall market size for sensors used in automation was determined and the penetration of inline variants for the packaging industry was estimated. Bottom-up analysis was then used to validate the numbers. To estimate the numbers, the demand for inline quality control sensors was mapped for all the key manufacturers and their production facilities.
Inline quality control sensors market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global Inline quality control sensors market are –
Tier 1 companies (Those with revenue generated from selling inline quality control sensors > US$ 8 Mn)
- LMI Technologies Inc.
- Sick AG
- Banner Engineering Corp.
- Nix Sensor Ltd.
- Arck Sensor
Tier 2 companies (Those with revenue generated from selling inline quality control sensors lying in the range of US$ 5 Mn – US$ 8 Mn)
- Shinkoh-electronics Co., Ltd.
- Micro-Epsilon Messtechnik GmbH & Co. KG
- ROPTEC GmbH
- Stemmer Imaging Ltd.
- Baumer Group
Tier 3 companies (Those with revenue generated from selling inline quality control sensors < US$ 5 Mn)
- Contrinex AG
- Abiz Technology Co., Ltd.
- Leuze Electronic GmbH + Co. KG
- FocalSpec Oy
- Keyence Corporation
- Rockwell Automation, Inc.
Key developments & Trends
Inline quality control sensors are mostly used in industries, such as the pharmaceutical industry and the food & beverages industry, where extensive rules and regulations govern the quality of the manufacturing and packaging process. Tasks, such as detecting contamination in packed foods, quality control in packaging processes and ensuring reliable air-tight packaging are critical and therefore, the need of the hour. The global inline quality control sensors market is characterized by constant research and development and frequent upgrades in the sensor technology, which significantly enhances their ability to detect several parameters inline. Some of the key trends in the inline quality control sensors market are -
- Rapid adoption of inline quality control sensors by food & beverage companies to reduce operator interventions and product returns. For instance, a cleaning product manufacturer based in North America recently installed a iVu Plus TG sensor. This sensor helps them identify mislabeled bottles and products which are not aligned correctly for packaging. The sensor was preferred due to its easy setup and highly efficient automated comparison of the products with an approved image.
- Manufacturers are focusing on smart cameras and machine vision systems, which can cater to both portable and inline instrumentation needs of packaging facilities.
- Beverage giants, such as The Coca Cola Company, use high speed cameras which work 24x7, at speeds up to 800 clicks per minute, which is in sync with their bottling capacity.
The road ahead
Rapid innovation in the food & beverage packaging technologies and stringent regulations for packaging standards are the two key factors expected to fuel the growth of the global inline quality sensors market. As global food & beverage as well as pharmaceutical giants consider moving their production hubs from the costlier Europe and North American countries to the Asia Pacific region, a significant demand for inline quality control sensors is expected to be generated from China, India and ASEAN countries during the forecast period.
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macroeconomic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
Inline quality control sensors market: Segmentation
The global inline quality control sensors market has been segmented as -
Based on product type, the global Inline quality control sensors market has been segmented as follows –
- Point profile sensors
- Line profile sensors
- Snapshot sensors
- Point profile sensors usually use a single laser point to scan at very high speeds. The results obtained from the scan can be used to perform functions, such as inspect displacement in a fast-moving process and build a contour or profile along the direction of the movement of the belt.
- Line profile sensors are used to measure the contour or the profile of the surface. They do that by means of a line of laser light. Line profile sensors can generate 3D point cloud for 3D feature inspection. One of the advantages of having line profile sensors is the range of object sizes they are compatible with. Line profile quality control sensors can measure the shape of very small (10 mm) to large width objects (1.5 m), moving at high speed.
- Snapshot sensors are ideal for inline inspection applications in which the object is momentarily stationary. Therefore, they are mostly used for pick and place and similar robotic applications.
Based on end use, the global Inline quality control sensors market has been segmented as follows –
- Food & Beverages
The pricing of inline quality control sensors is based on their type and configuration i.e. point profile, line profile and snapshot variants.
Based on geography, the global Inline quality control sensors market has been divided into seven key regions –
- North America
- Latin America
- Asia Pacific excluding Japan (APEJ)
- Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)