Key Growth Influencers - Lung Cancer Surgery Market
VATS Lobectomy Gaining Attention for Lung Cancer Treatment
Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) procedure underwent improvements in technique and refinement of surgical devices over the years. Key vendors, Medtronic plc. and Ethicon, have introduced advanced products such as power staplers and ultrasonic advanced energy instruments supporting VATS for lung cancer. These products reduce bleeding complications as compared to manual devices as well as reduce morbidity, offer faster recovery time, and shorter hospital stays.
Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) lobectomy is gaining acceptance over open lobectomy. According to the Society of Thoracic Surgery (STS) General Thoracic Surgery Database (GTSD), VATS lobectomy procedures has increased over time from 8% in 2003 to 44.7% in 2010 among lung cancer patients.
Advancements in Surgical Instruments to Ease Complex Procedures
Companies such as Medtronic, Ethicon, Intuitive Surgical Inc., and others are constantly launching new products in the lung cancer surgery market. Moreover, companies are focusing to develop and achieve regulatory approvals for new procedures and interventions. For instance,
- In May 2017, Ethicon launched ECHELON FLEX™ GST System (45mm) to deliver benefits of precision stapling performance to thoracic procedures.
- In May 2017, Intuitive Surgical Inc. introduced da Vinci X, a new da Vinci model in the United States for robotic-assisted surgery.
Advanced surgical instruments and endoscopic devices have increased the device versatility and ease of use in complex cases such as lung resection procedures. Technological transformation has led to a positive impact on the global lung cancer surgery market growth.
China, Japan, and U.S. Witnessing Rapid Technology Penetration
China, Japan, and the United States registered a higher incidence of lung cancer as compared to other countries. According to the International Association of Cancer Registries, the number of new cases of lung cancer is around 774,323, 118,971, and 227,356 in China, Japan, and the United States respectively.
Large patient pool and need for effective treatment approach are expected to increase the demand for lung cancer surgery devices. China, Japan, and the United States represent increased new technology adoption rate attributed to earlier launch of products in these countries and stronger reimbursement policies for lung cancer surgery procedures.
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.
Lung Cancer Surgery Market Structure Analysis
- The global lung cancer surgery market represents a fragmented competition scenario. Most of the key players maintain their strategic focus on the development of advanced energy devices, introduction of new imaging technology, and joint ventures & collaborations for innovative technological development. For instance,
- In March 2019, Titan Medical and Teleflex incorporated announced collaboration for the development of robotic ligation technology.
- Market leaders such as Ethicon (Johnson & Johnson), Medtronic Plc. Olympus Corporation, Intuitive Surgical Inc., PENTAX Medical Company contributed more than half of the market value share in the lung cancer surgery market in 2018.
- Robotic-assisted lung cancer surgery market is dominated by Intuitive Surgical Inc., manufacturer of da Vinci System. da Vinci System is the only robotic surgery system available for lung cancer surgery such as lobectomy.
- For a greater hold in the target market, lung cancer surgery device manufacturers continuously emphasis on strategies, such as mergers and acquisitions. For instance, in April 2019, Johnson & Johnson completed the acquisition of Auris Health Inc. a robotic platform technology manufacturer.
Lung Cancer Surgery Market Set for Twofold Revenue Growth over 2019 - 2029
There have been more than 2 million new lung cancer cases by 2018 end, which is a clear indicator of how rapidly the demand for lung cancer surgery will grow in the near future. Currently a billion-dollar market, the global lung cancer surgery landscape is set to observe a robust growth outlook during the next decade.
As chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) patients are at a high risk of suffering from lung cancer, the rising prevalence of COPD linearly reflects the growing need for lung cancer surgery. With technological advances disrupting the field of lung cancer surgery, FMI expects the market revenues to grow 2X over the period of next decade. Further, market players are innovating lung cancer surgical procedures that ensure minimal invasion and faster recovery time.
Surgical Energy Instruments at Forefront, RATSS Adoption at Pace
Surgical energy instruments remain significantly preferred for performing lung cancer surgeries through 2029, generating ~US$ 900 Mn. While demand growth for basic energy instruments is moderate, the advanced iterations hold a major market share. Ultrasonic instruments will maintain their supremacy throughout forecast period, whereas advanced bipolar instruments will witness promising growth.
Advent of robotics in healthcare has been driving adoption of robotic-assisted thoracic surgery systems (RATSS), which is estimated to witness a notable spike in revenues in the near future. Adoption will be prominent in North America and East Asia.
China and Japan Spearheading East Asian Market
Lead by the U.S. and Germany respectively, North America and Europe will maintain their hegemony in lung cancer surgery market, collectively holding a two-thirds market share. The lung cancer surgery market in East Asia is showcasing substantial growth, majorly accounted by strong growth prospects of market in China and Japan.
While the growth of developed regional markets will bank on massive healthcare expenditure and favorable reimbursement scenario, developing markets across Asia would prominently receive a push from expanding patient pool and faster technology penetration.
Market Players Rely on Advanced Lung Cancer Surgery Techniques
Advanced surgical instruments and endoscopic devices deliver enhanced device versatility and ease of operation in complex situations. For instance, Medtronic is launching robotic-assisted surgery system that includes surgical specialties general, urology, gynecology, thoracic, colorectal, and bariatric.
Johnson & Johnson recently introduced ECHELON CIRCULAR™ Powered Stapler for colorectal, gastric, and thoracic surgery. Such technology transformations are expected to propel the global lung cancer surgery market growth.
How Growth Will Unfold
Demand for lung cancer surgery in lobectomy will remain maximum, especially in developed countries. It has been observed that the video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) lobectomy is gradually replacing conventional lobectomy owing to the reduced morbidity, faster recovery, and shorter hospital stays associated with former. Segmentectomy and wedge resection, on the other hand, are suitable for early stage non-small cell lung cancers.
- Surgical Energy Instruments
- Advanced Energy Instruments
- Advanced Bipolar Instruments
- Ultrasonic Instruments
- Basic Energy Instruments
- Bipolar Instrument
- Monopolar Instruments
- Advanced Energy Instruments
- Robotic-Assisted Thoracic Surgery Systems
- Surgical Staplers
- Wedge Resection
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- North America
- Latin America
- South Asia
- East Asia
- Middle East and Africa