This Medical Tourism market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Medical Tourism market.
Medical tourism involves traveling across international borders to access medical treatment, which is not available in patients’ respective country. It generates direct foreign exchange income and adds to the overall economy of countries as well as offers business and employment opportunities to residents. In addition, medical tourism helps in growth relevant industries including, healthcare devices, pharmaceuticals, and tourism.
Moving ahead, governments in various countries are increasingly investing in water supply facilities and public transport system to attract high-end tourists to capitalize on growth of medical tourism market. Over the forecast period 2020-30, the medical tourism market will grow at a tremendous CAGR.
Global Medical Tourism Market – Growth Drivers
Lengthy waiting times and high treatment expenses of medical procedures are substantially influencing customers to opt for medical tourism. These factors are further backed by cheaper and easier overseas travel. Additionally, medical tourism offers relaxation from strict regulations from the insurance companies.
Medical expertise in tandem with international recognition are driving overseas patient flow, thus, expanding international medical tourism. For instance, the U.S. Joint Commission International (JCI) has accredited over 600 healthcare departments and hospitals across the world.
After Surgery Complications to Hamper Market Growth
While the medical tourism market is making significant strides, it brings tourists to vicinity of health risks after they return including, deep vein thrombosis, paratyphoid, and amoebic dysentery. Inadequate post-operative care and lack of proper rest are responsible for such adverse health conditions. Strict paper works, issues associated with visa approval, and limited reimbursement are further having a negative impact on the medical tourism market.
Impact of COVID-19 on Medical Tourism Market
The COVID-19 pandemic is having fatal impacts on the medical tourism market. International travels have come to a standstill in order to curb the spread of the coronavirus. Studies suggest halts in international travel for further six months will result in loss of US$ 3 Bn. Moreover, health resources of many countries are getting exhausted in terms of medical services.
That said, as governments gradually relax travel restrictions, patients will focus on hygiene and personalized treatment. They will opt for countries where there is continual sense of social distancing, and availability of proper transport facilities. Many countries are coming up with new visa policies, as well as asking for medical certificate from designated healthcare institutions. Further, tele-medicines and tele-consultation will gain upward trend in near future.
Regional Analysis of Medical Tourism Market
South and Southeast Asia will remain at forefront in the medical tourism market, primarily driven by supportive government policies. Thailand, South Korea, and Malaysia are among the highly preferred medical tourism destinations. Thailand, in particular, has approximately 500 private hospitals and the number is anticipated to grow significantly. Furthermore, growth in infrastructure, and low cost treatment are proliferating medical tourism market in Asia.
Medical Tourism Market: Competitive Landscape
Market players are focusing on offering excellent service quality, and optimum patient convenience at relatively cheaper costs for several treatments. For instance, Apollo Cradle and Children Hospital has launched its app to provide tele-consultation and medications for children who cannot visit hospital.
Further, various players are entering into mergers & acquisition (M&A), and to uphold hegemony in medical tourism market. For instance, Bumrungrad International Hospital (Bangkok) has collaborated with IBM Watson for better cancer care.
- Heart Institute
- Apollo Hospitals
- Prince Court Medical Centre
- Gleneagles Hospital
- Min-Sheng General Hospital
- Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital
- Raffles Medical Group
- Clemenceau Medical Centre
- Bangkok Hospital
- Bumrungrad International Hospital
- Fortis Healthcare Ltd.
- Wooridul Spine Hospital
- KPJ Healthcare Berhad
- Anadolu Medical Centre
- Asklepios Klinik Barmbek.
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil)
- Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Italy, Spain, Poland, Russia)
- East Asia (China, Japan, South Korea)
- South Asia (India, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia)
- Oceania (Australia, New Zealand)
- Middle East & Africa (GCC Countries, Turkey, Northern Africa, South Africa)
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Medical Tourism Market Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
Taxonomical Analysis of Medical Tourism Market
Medical tourism market can be segmented on the basis of the following,
By Treatment Type
- Dental Treatment
- Cosmetic Treatment
- Cardiovascular Treatment
- Orthopedic Treatment
- Cardiovascular Treatment
- Orthopedic Treatment
- Neurological Treatment
- Cancer Treatment
- Fertility Treatment
- Other Treatments
Frequently Asked Questions
What research methodology is used to develop the Medical Tourism Market report?
- FMI utilizes three branched methods to derive market measurements used to compile any report study (data derivation, triangulation and validation).
- These approaches include accumulating data from both primary and secondary sources
- Primary research involves interviews with industry operators and FMI's network of contacts spanning the world's value chain of the Medical Tourism Market. This is supported by a comprehensive literature analysis of information gathered through secondary sources
- Analysis of several middle market stakeholders for country-wise data
What else does FMI offer apart from Medical Tourism Market report?
In addition to up-to-date market figures and customized of the Medical Tourism Market, FMI offer consulting services to help businesses within industry navigate challenges and take well-informed decisions amidst the breakneck competition.
How do you define competitors based on market structure? What aspects about a competitor are included in the company profile section?
- Most of the competitors are segregated according to their market share in 'Tier' wise statures.
- Global market participants are scrutinized and global competition metrics are included with numerous competitor profiles referring to their business background and go-to market strategies.