Non-opioid Pain Patches Market to Exceed US$ 4 Bn in 2026
The global non-opioid pain patches market value will cross US$ 4 Bn during the latter half of the forecast period (2019-2029). Growing acceptance of non-addictive pain therapeutic solutions and supportive government policies are key factors boosting the market’s revenue pool. The healthcare sector is at the center of efforts to curb the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic that has taken a toll on humankind as well as the global economy. Market players are thus making critical decisions about each group – consumers (for communication and product distribution), customers (pharmacies, and retailers), and employees (to help them keep pace with evolving conditions and regulations).
Base year considered
Actual estimates/Historical data
2014 - 2018
2019 - 2029
Value (USD) Mn
Product Type, Distribution Channel, and Region
North America (US & Canada), Europe (UK, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and Rest of LA), East Asia (China, Japan and South Korea) South Asia (India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Rest of South Asia), Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) and MEA (GCC Countries, South Africa, Turkey, Northern Africa, and Rest of MEA)
Sanofi S.A., Pfizer Inc. and Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co., Inc.
Major 15 players covered.
Revenue forecasts, company shares, competitive landscape, growth factors, and trends
Non-opioid Pain Patches Market - Key Research Findings
- The global non-opioid pain patches market was valued at US$ 3 Bn in 2018.
- The non-opioid pain patches market is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 4.0% during the forecast period of 2019-2029.
- The lidocaine patches segment is expected to remain the most preferred product type segment in the non-opioid pain patches market.
- Growth of this particular segment can be primarily attributed to the rising interest and acceptance of non-addictive pain medications, and increasing research & development activities of lidocaine-based non-opioid pain patches.
- North America is stipulated to account for one-half of the revenue share in the global non-opioid pain patches market by the end of 2029.
- The North America market is estimated to continue to be the opportunistic market for non-opioid pain patch manufacturers, owing to encouraging regulatory rules and regulations for new non-opioid pain product approvals, their use in chronic pain treatment, and significant adoption of non-opioid products.
- Hospital pharmacies will continue to be the prominent distribution channel category in creating significant growth opportunities for non-opioid pain patches market players.
- Lidocaine non-opioid pain patches and diclofenac non-opioid pain patches are expected to witness relatively high demand in hospital pharmacies, due to the high patient pool of chronic pain conditions. Long acting non-opioid pain patches will also show significant growth, owing to high effectiveness and better patient convenience.
- Therefore, increase in the number of topical non-opioid clinical studies for the development of novel therapeutics, and subsequent product launches, are anticipated to increase the growth of the non-opioid pain patches market, globally.
Key Factors Shaping Non-opioid Pain Patches Market
Growing Global Epidemic of Chronic Pain to Boost Demand for Non-opioid Pain Patches
Musculoskeletal pain conditions are rising, including health conditions such as chronic pain, cancer pain, osteoarthritis, and other conditions. In addition, acute and chronic pain burden is continuously growing, due to sedentary lifestyle and increasing cases of chronic as well as life threatening diseases such as cancer. For instance, global chronic pain prevalence among adults varied between 11% and 20%, and chronic pain prevalence indicates that an estimated 1 in 5 U. S. adults had chronic pain in 2016.
In this category, opioid medication to treat acute and chronic pain is becoming highly overdosed and unsafe for long-term treatments. Non-opioid topical analgesic treatment is becoming the preferred alternative therapy for musculoskeletal pain, owing to clinical effectiveness with minimum side-effect-based treatment options.
On the flip side, self-isolation norms and restrictions on transportation and logistics amidst the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is putting a strain on the non-opioid pain patches market. The number of confirmed caseloads of COVID-19 is increasing rapidly, and, as such, governments all over the world are imposing travel regulations. Although retail pharmacies and drug stores, which come under essential supplies, are open, market players are facing pressure due to the widening supply-demand gap.
Alternative Therapeutic Option to Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Analgesics Presenting Lucrative Opportunities for Market Growth
Due to the addictive vulnerability of opioid analgesics, the demand for topical non-opioid patches has grown to the point where leading developers are currently focusing on extensive research & development of non-addictive topical pain patch products. Industry players are actively taking initiatives to increase availability of non-opioid pain patch products for acute as well as chronic pain. New alternative non-addictive topical therapeutics are mostly being developed to increase the duration of analgesic action and improved skin adhesion.
Some examples of product development in the non-opioid pain patches market include ZTlido (lidocaine topical pain patch) 1.8% patch developed by Sorrento Therapeutics. In 2018, this product was approved for the treatment of pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia (PHA). This patch marks significant advancement in the non-opioid pain patches market, because it can deliver pain relief for up to 12 hours, including during exercise.
Strategic Deals by Leading Players to Spur Non-Opioid Pain Patches Availability and Product Awareness
Leading players are focusing on increasing collaborative product development, and partnership and acquisition deals, to get early market entry and high market share. This key trend is being observed across North America, Europe, and in Asian countries such as India, Japan, and China. Such strategies also enable companies to enter new emerging markets, as well as enhance their presence in existing markets.
For instance, in 2018, Medpharm, a U.K.-based player specialized in topical and transdermal development, licensed its MedSpray technology to Virpax Pharmaceuticals. Virpax Pharmaceuticals is developing NSAID spray film 1.3%, a topical film patch, to deliver transdermal non-opioid NSAID medication via a metered-dose spray. The delivery system is characterized as a high adhesive topical film patch.
Companies are entering into collaborations with an aim to develop and upgrade key transdermal non-opioid pain technologies, as well as develop new products.
Non-opioid Pain Patches Market: Structure Analysis
- The global non-opioid pain patches market is a moderately consolidated market space. Approximately 60% - 70% share of the market is held by tier-1 players.
- In high-impact markets such as the U.S. and Europe, there are less stringent regulations for the approval of non-opioid pain patches for pain indication. Also, the approval of transdermal non-opioid product for pain indication is needed to fulfil the requirement of New Drug Application (NDA) or 510 (k) Pre-market Approval or CE Mark or other regulatory filing, which limits growth opportunities for the non-opioid pain patches market, especially among emerging players.
- Continuous investments by leading industry players in providing highly effective and safe therapeutics have led to the commercialization of superior non-opioid pain patch products with the ability to treat multiple pain conditions. This will boost the growth prospects of the non-opioid pain patches market.
- Major players in the non-opioid pain patches market are Sanofi S.A., Pfizer Inc., and Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co., Inc.
- Global non-opioid pain patches market players are also focused on emerging markets such as Brazil, India and China, thanks to their significant marketing network of distributors. Moreover, due to strategic partnerships and tie-ups with local sales bodies and the presence of international offices in other regions, major players can deliver their product offerings effectively.
Lidocaine Patches Continue to Shape Value Creation
Market players continue to invest in manufacturing lidocaine patches, which would generate greater total return to shareholders (TRS). Benefits of lidocaine patches - superior topical effectiveness with minimal side effects and prolong transdermal drug release - are enabling their broader application. By 2029, lidocaine patches worth over US$ 3 Bn will be leveraged in treating chronic pain conditions. Influenced by these numbers, manufacturers are indulging in continuous R&D activities to develop lidocaine-based non-opioid pain patches.
North America Represents Most Prospective Market
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has found that, pain-related conditions are the most common reason for frequent hospital visits in the U.S. Further, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has underlined opioid misuse as among various factors burdening the national economy, every year. These trends are underpinning the non-opioid pain patches market in North America. To curb expenses incurred for addiction treatment, governments in this developed region are introducing regulations to speed up the approval of novel non-opioid pain patches for chronic pain treatment. This study further reveals that, the North America non-opioid pain patches will hit US$ 2 Bn in 2022.
* This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in report.
Manufacturers Must Focus on Developing Topical Therapeutics
Given the addictive vulnerability of opioid analgesics, manufacturers are turning to the development of non-addictive topical pain patches for acute as well as chronic pain. These novel new alternative therapeutics are developed with an aim to increase the duration of analgesic action and improved skin adhesion. For instance, Sorrento Therapeutics has developed the ZTlido (lidocaine topical pain patch) 1.8% patch that can deliver pain relief for up to 12 hours, including during workout sessions. The product has been approved for the treatment of pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia (PHA).
Lidocaine patches capture higher revenue share
Diclofenac patches to exhibit faster growth rate
Hospital pharmacies account for greater sales
Sales via retail pharmacies & drug stores to accelerate
How Growth will Unfold
Majority of non-opioid pain patches are available as over-the-counter (OTC) products, and are purchased across various distribution channels according to a physician’s suggestion. Conventionally, hospitals have been accounting for substantial sales of non-opioid pain patches, attributable to frequent patient visits for pain management, especially musculoskeletal disorders. Moreover, the prolonged consumption of painkillers triggers medication-related adverse effects, and, as such, physicians prescribe these patches as an alternative to oral drugs. However, in developed regions, consumers prefer retail pharmacies and drug stores for purchasing OTC pain medication drugs and prescription medicines. Market players are thus uncovering new revenue lines through these distribution channels, which will outperform hospitals in 2024, in terms of value share.
* This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in report.Click Here To Know How The Growth Will Unfold
Custom Market Research Services
FMI offers custom market research services that help clients to get information on their business scenario required where syndicated solutions are not enough.
A recent market study published by Future Market Insights on the non-opioid pain patches market includes global industry analysis of 2014-2018 and opportunity assessment for 2019-2029, and delivers a comprehensive assessment of the most important market dynamics. After conducting thorough research on the historical as well as current growth parameters of the market, the growth prospects of the market are obtained with maximum precision.
Non-opioid Pain Patches Market Taxonomy
The global non-opioid pain patches market is segmented in detail to cover every aspect of the market and present a complete market intelligence approach to the reader.
- Lidocaine Patches
- Diclofenac Patches
- Methyl Salicylate Patches
- Capsaicin Patches
- Ketoprofen Patches
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies & Drug Stores
- Online Pharmacies
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia
- Middle East and Africa
The report initiates with the executive summary of the non-opioid pain patches market, which includes a summary of key findings and statistics of the market. It also includes supply-side and demand-side trends pertaining to the non-opioid pain patches market.
Readers can find the definition and a detailed segmentation of the non-opioid pain patches market in this chapter, which will help them understand the basic information about the non-opioid pain patches market. Along with this, comprehensive information pertaining to types of non-opioid pain patches products and their features are provided in this section. This section also highlights the inclusions and exclusions, which helps the reader understand the scope of the non-opioid pain patches market report.
Non-opioid pain patches market report provides the key market trends that are expected to significantly impact market growth during the forecast period. Detailed industry trends are provided in this section.
This section includes the key successful factors and strategies being adopted by key market participants.
This section explains the global market value analysis and forecast for the non-opioid pain patches market during the forecast period. This chapter includes a detailed analysis of the historical non-opioid pain patches market, along with an opportunity analysis of the future. Readers can also find the absolute $ opportunity for the current year (2019), and an incremental $ opportunity for the forecast period (2019–2029).
This section gives information about drivers and restraints of the non-opioid pain patches market. This section also includes macroeconomic factors and various opportunities of the non-opioid pain patches market.
Based on product type, the non-opioid pain patches market is segmented into lidocaine patches, diclofenac patches, methyl salicylate patches, capsaicin patches, ketoprofen patches, and others. In this chapter, readers can find information about Y-o-Y growth and market attractiveness analysis based on products.
Based on distribution channels, the non-opioid pain patches market is segmented into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies & drug stores, and online pharmacies. In this chapter, readers can understand the Y-o-Y growth and market attractiveness analysis based on distribution channels.
This chapter explains how the non-opioid pain patches market will grow across various geographic regions such as North America, Latin America, Europe, East Asia, South Asia, Oceania and Middle East & Africa.
This chapter includes a detailed analysis of growth of the North America non-opioid pain patches market, along with a country-wise assessment that includes the U.S. and Canada. Readers can also find the regional trends, and market growth based on the product type, distribution channels, and countries in North America.
This chapter provides the growth scenario of the non-opioid pain patches market in Latin American countries such as Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and the Rest of Latin America. Along with this, assessment of the market across target segments has been provided.
Important growth prospects of the non-opioid pain patches market based on its distribution channels in several countries such as the U.K., France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia and the Rest of Europe are included in this chapter.
Important growth prospects of the non-opioid pain patches market across target segments in several countries such as China, Japan and South Korea are included in this chapter.
In this chapter, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia countries are the prominent countries in the South Asia region. Readers can find detailed information about the growth parameters of the South Asia non-opioid pain patches market during the forecast period of 2019-2029.
This section highlights the growth prospects of the non-opioid pain patches market for Australia and New Zealand, during the forecast period of 2019-2029.
This chapter provides information about how the non-opioid pain patches market will grow in major countries in the MEA region such as GCC Countries, South Africa, and the Rest of MEA, during the forecast period of 2019-2029.
This chapter highlights the tier structure analysis, market concentration analysis and company share analysis along with sales footprint analysis of key player operating in non-opioid pain patches market.
In this chapter, readers can find a comprehensive list of all the prominent stakeholders in the non-opioid pain patches market, along with a detailed information about each company, which includes company overview, revenue shares, strategic overview, and recent company developments. Some of the market players featured are Sanofi S.A. (France), Pfizer Inc. (U. S.), GlaxoSmithKline Plc. (U. K.), Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co., Inc. (Japan), Clarion Brands (U. S.), Endo Pharmaceuticals (Ireland), TEH SENG Pharmaceutical (Taiwan), Veridian Healthcare (U. S.), Sorrento Therapeutics (SCILEX Pharmaceuticals Inc.) (U. S.), Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (Israel), and Teikoku Seiyaku Co. Ltd. (Japan).
This chapter includes a list of acronyms and assumptions that provides a base to the information and statistics included in the non-opioid pain patches market report.
This chapter help readers understand the research methodology followed to obtain various conclusions as well as important qualitative and quantitative information about the non-opioid pain patches market.
How the research was conducted?
- C - Level Executives
- Marketing Directors
- Product Managers
- Business Development Officers
- Production Managers
- Procurement Heads
- Sales Executives
- Raw Material Suppliers
- Industry Experts
- End Users
- Current Market Dynamics and Challenges
- Yesteryear Trends
- Market Characteristics
- Market Performance and Growth Quadrants
- Competition Structure and Market Structure
- Strategic Growth Initiatives
- Near-term and Long-term Market Growth Prospects
- Market Segment Splits and Authenticity
- Opinions on Market Projections and Validity of Assumptions
- Industry Publications
- World Health Organizations (WHO)
- National Institute of Health (NIH)
- Company Press Releases
- Annual Reports and Investor Presentations
- Research Papers
- Government Websites and Publications
- Trade Websites
Primary Interview Splits