Pneumococcal Testing Market Value to Triple Through 2030
Pneumococcal outbreak is the leading cause of mortality among infants aging below 5 years. Alerted by the situation, the WHO and UNICEF have launched immunization programs, as well as awareness campaigns for pneumonia across continents. Governments are also playing an instrumental role by increasingly investing in development of novel preventive & treatment drugs, and better pneumonia diagnostic technologies. These trends would have a measurable impact on pneumococcal testing market over the decade ahead. As per the new FMI study, the global adoption of pneumococcal testing would surge nearly thrice over 2020-2030.
Pneumococcal Testing Market - Key Research Findings
- The global pneumococcal testing market in 2019 was valued at US$ 1.1 Bn.
- Growth in the prevalence of pneumococcal diseases, increase in adoption of diagnostic measures, recent advances in pneumococcal diagnostics and increase in technological innovation with development of nucleic acid detection tests for major pneumonia pathogens and immune-chromatographic pneumococcal urinary antigen tests are the primary factors for the growth of pneumococcal testing market.
- Rise in awareness about the benefits of early diagnosis among the patient population has increased the number of diagnostic tests are the factors expected for the driving the market growth.
- Collectively, Europe and North America, will account for more than half of the revenue shares in the Pneumococcal Testing market by the end of 2030.
- North America will continue to be a prominent regional market for pneumococcal testing due to the increasing prevalence of pneumococcal diseases and recent advancement in diagnostic test.
- The confirmed caseloads of the COVID-19 in the US have surpassed that of the European countries - Italy, and Spain - emerging as the ground zero of the pandemic. The US FDA has approved molecular diagnostic, and ELISA kits for emergency use authorization (EUA) to spot the nucleic acid from SARS-CoV-2, the virus behind COVID-19.
- Point of Care (POC) testing remains highly preferred method of pneumococcal testing. POC testing accounted for a major revenue share in 2019, and is projected to maintain the trend throughout the forecast period.
- Point of Care Testing growing at a significant growth rate owing to its delivering the results in real time which help physician to make a correct and better decision in treatment of diseases.
- Hospitals and clinics will continue to be the most prominent end users of pneumococcal testing. This is attributed to the availability of pneumococcal testing kits and skilled personnel for better clinical management of various diseases across several medical domains
- Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) accounted for a significant revenue share in the market owing to its high sensitivity and specificity and convenience of performing compared to other methods.
Key Factors Shaping the Pneumococcal Testing Market
Rise in Incidents of Pneumococcal Diseases
The major clinical syndromes of pneumococcal disease are pneumonia, bacteremia, and meningitis. As per Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention 2017, estimates that 150,000 hospitalizations from pneumococcal pneumonia occur annually in the United States. Pneumococci account for up to 30% of adult community-acquired pneumonia.
Bacteremia occurs in up to 25-30% of patients with pneumococcal pneumonia. The case-fatality rate is 5-7% and may be much higher among elderly persons. Complications of pneumococcal pneumonia include empyema, pericarditis, and respiratory failure. In Europe and the USA, S. pneumoniae is the most common cause of community-acquired bacterial pneumonia in adults.
Recent Advances in Molecular Test for the Diagnosis of Pneumococcal Bacteria
Molecular diagnostic tests have been the single major development in pneumonia diagnostics over recent years. Nucleic acid detection tests (NATs) have greatly improved the ability to detect respiratory viruses and bacterial pathogens that do not normally colonize the respiratory tract. NATs have several advantages over other existing diagnostic tools. They potentially detect low levels of all-known pneumonia pathogens in clinical specimens.
There are now a wide variety of user-friendly platforms that have enabled NATs to be deployed in laboratories outside of specialist tertiary referral centers. Although NATs have mainly focused on detecting the presence of a particular microorganism, they may also provide additional information, such as data on antimicrobial resistance and strain typing.
Shift from Single-Analyte Testing to Multiplex Testing
Molecular diagnostic testing has moved toward a broader syndromic screening approach. This trend is the result of sophisticated technologies that enable the detection of >1 analyte at a time. Test devices vary from low multiplex (2-5 analytes) to 25 or more different analytes, often now combining a mixture of pathogen types, and also antibiotic resistance markers.
New highly multiplexed cartridge-based systems can detect the majority of bacterial pathogens that cause community, ventilator-associated, and hospital-acquired pneumonia within 1-2 hours. In addition, these systems can detect >20 antibiotic resistance genetic markers. The intent is to provide a POC early diagnosis that can lead to more focused appropriate antimicrobial therapy.
Growth of the Market in Emerging Economies
Increasing prevalence of pneumococcal diseases, and other diseases in the Asia Pacific (APAC) are factors offering a strong impetus to the growth of the pneumococcal testing market. The launch of advanced molecular diagnostics testing prominently accounts for the growing popularity of pneumococcal testing across developing regional markets. Cconsistent rise in the number of manufacturers and distributors, is likely to contribute to the growth of the pneumococcal testing market in the near future.
Pneumococcal Testing Market Structure Analysis
- Major players focus on inorganic growth strategies to make a strong hold on targeted in-licensing and acquisitions through expanding its R&D activities and its distribution channels particularly including its specialist retail chains
- Prominent players continue to address the unmet needs in the market through continuous product technological innovation.
- The Pneumococcal Testing market is characterised as a consolidate market likely to remain dynamic, growing in steady pace throughout the forecast period. Approximately 65% - 80% share of the market is held by tier-1 players.
Base year considered
Actual estimates /Historical data
2015 - 2019
2020 - 2030
Value (USD) Mn
Method, Product Type, Technology, End User, and Region
North America (US & Canada), Europe (UK, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Russia, BENELUX and Rest of Europe), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and Rest of LA), East Asia (China, Japan and South Korea) South Asia (India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Rest of South Asia), Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) and MEA (GCC, South Africa, Turkey, Northern Africa and Rest of MEA)
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., F-Hoffmann la Roche Ltd and Abbott Laboratories. Major 10 players are covered.
Revenue forecast, company share, competitive landscape, growth factors, and trends
Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) Maintains its Prominence
Immunofluorescence, although, has been the conventional laboratory method in several biological applications, the technology is cost-prohibitive and requires skilled personnel. Enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) has emerged as an alternative method, as it delivers high sensitivity and specificity, and is easier to perform compared to other methods for detection of substances in body. Prominent players in pneumococcal testing market are manufacturing and distributing ELISA kits for qualitative detection of coronavirus-infected pneumonia cases, patients with suspected clustering cases, and new coronaviruses in serum or plasma samples. By 2030, ELISA would represent a multibillion-dollar opportunity.
Market Players Continue to Invest in Developed Regions
Together, North America and Europe procure over 70% overall pneumococcal testing market value. Governments in these regions have been highly focused on bringing tech-driven transformations in the healthcare industry. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has been showing immediacy in approving molecular tests under emergency use authorization (EUA). Moreover, these tests are Conformité Européenne (CE) authenticated. The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has substantially taken a humanitarian toll, with the US, Spain, and France seeing major uptick in confirmed cases. As such, these regulatory approvals are influencing pneumococcal testing market players to manufacture and distribute testing kits worldwide in order to detect the nucleic acid from coronavirus.
* This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in report.
POCT - The Next Normal for VAP Diagnosis
Ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) diagnosis is challenging; while conventional culture-specific microbiological methods are considered the conventional approach, they are slow to enable clinicians to enhance prognosis with on-time antimicrobial therapy adjustment. Point-of-care testing (POCT) tools are used at or near the bedside, with delays ranging from a couple of minutes to a few hours. Adoption of POCTs for VAP allows for quicker diagnosis and antimicrobial therapy adjustments. In-time diagnoses lead to effective treatment, which, in turn, improve clinical outcome significantly, especially in intensive care unit (ICU) settings. Furthermore, POCT equipment enable lower volumes of blood sample to acquire similar outcomes.
Point of care testing stays preferable
Molecular diagnostics to see rise in adoption
High preference for enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA)
Immunofluorescence to gain traction
High demand for analyzers
Demand for consumables to increase
Hospitals remain primary end user
Clinics to offer lucrative prospects
How Growth will Unfold
Point-of-Care testing provides real-time outcomes helping physicians make accurate and better decisions in disease treatment. As the healthcare industry aggressively moves toward prevention, and early detection, point of care infection control would gain preference in managing acute and chronic diseases. Ongoing R&D efforts and advancements in complementary technologies will further remain on-ramp to novel POC in-vitro diagnostic (IVD) assays in the near term. Molecular diagnostic testing has shifted toward a broader syndromic screening approach, attributable to technologies that enable the detection of over one analyte simultaneously. FMI finds that, both the testing methods are exhibiting nearly identical growth rate annually.
* This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in report.Click Here To Know How The Growth Will Unfold
Custom Market Research Services
FMI offers custom market research services that help clients to get information on their business scenario required where syndicated solutions are not enough.
A recent market study published by Future Market Insights (FMI) on the pneumococcal testing market including global industry analysis for 2015-2019 & opportunity assessment for 2020-2030, delivers a comprehensive assessment of the most important market dynamics. After conducting a thorough research on the historical as well as current growth parameters of the market, growth prospects are obtained with maximum precision.
Pneumococcal Testing Market Taxonomy
The global pneumococcal testing market is segmented in detail to cover every aspect of the market and present a complete market intelligence approach to the reader.
- Molecular Diagnostic
- Point of Care Testing
- Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA)
- Western Blot Test
- Nucleic Acid Sequence based Amplification
- Polymerase Chain Reaction
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- North America
- Latin America
- South Asia
- East Asia
The report initiates with the executive summary of the pneumococcal testing market study, which includes a summary of key findings and statistics of the market. It also includes market size and revenue distribution of market segment of the market.
Readers can find the definition and a detailed segmentation of the market in this chapter, which will help them understand the basic information about the market.
This chapter explains the key macroeconomic factors, drivers, restraints, trends and opportunity analysis that are expected to influence growth of the market over the forecast period. Moreover, in-depth information about the market dynamics and their impact analysis on the market have been provided in the successive section.
This section includes premium insights such as key promotional strategies, regulations, disease epidemiology and many more. This section helps readers understand the key factors associated with the market.
This section explains the global market value analysis and forecast for the during the forecast period. This chapter includes a detailed analysis of the historical market, along with an opportunity analysis of the future. Readers can also find the absolute $ opportunity for the current year (2019), and an incremental $ opportunity for the forecast period (2019-2029).
Based on method, the market is segmented Immunodiagnostics, Molecular Diagnostics, and Point of Care Testing. In this chapter, readers can find information about the key trends and developments in and market attractiveness analysis based on method.
This chapter provides details about the market based on technology, and has been classified into Immunofluorescence, Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA), Western Blot Test, Nucleic Acid Sequence based Amplification, Immunohistochemistry, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), and others. In this chapter, readers can understand the market attractiveness analysis based on technology.
This chapter provides details about the market based on product type, and has been classified into Consumables and Analyzers. In this chapter, readers can understand the market attractiveness analysis based on product type.
This chapter provides details about the market based on end user, and has been classified into hospitals, clinics, and Ambulatory surgical centers. In this chapter, readers can understand the market attractiveness analysis based on end user.
This chapter explains how the pneumococcal testing market will grow across various geographic regions such as North America, Latin America, Europe, South Asia, East Asia, Oceania, and Middle East & Africa (MEA).
This chapter includes a detailed analysis of growth of the North America market, along with a country-wise assessment that includes the U.S. and Canada. Readers can also find the regional trends, and market growth based on the application and countries in North America.
This chapter provides the growth scenario of the pneumococcal testing market in Latin American countries such as Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, and the Rest of Latin America. Along with this, assessment of the market across target segments has been provided.
This chapter provides the growth scenario of the market in Europe in several countries such as Germany, the U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Russia, BENELUX and the Rest of Europe are included in this chapter.
This chapter provides the growth scenario of the pneumococcal testing market in South Asia in several countries such as Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, India & rest of South Asia are included in this chapter.
This chapter highlights the growth of the in East Asia by focusing on China, Japan & South Korea. This section also help readers understand the key factors that are responsible for the growth of the pneumococcal testing market in East Asia.
This chapter highlights the growth of the in Oceania. This section also help readers understand the key factors that are responsible for the growth of the pneumococcal testing market in Oceania.
This chapter provides information about how the market will grow in major countries in the MEA region such as GCC Countries, South Africa, Northern Africa, Turkey and the Rest of MEA, during the forecast period.
In this chapter, readers can find a comprehensive list of all the prominent stakeholders in the market, along with a detailed information about each company, which includes company overview, revenue shares, strategic overview, and recent company developments. Some of the market players featured in the report are Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., F-Hoffmann la Roche Ltd, Abbott Laboratories and among others.
This chapter includes a list of acronyms and assumptions that provides a base to the information and statistics included in the pneumococcal testing report.
This chapter help readers understand the research methodology followed to obtain various conclusions as well as important qualitative and quantitative information about the pneumococcal testing market.
How the research was conducted?
- Marketing Directors
- Product Managers
- Business Development Officers
- Production Managers
- Sales Executives
- Industry Experts
- Current Market Dynamics and Challenges
- Yesteryear Trends
- Market Characteristics
- Market Performance and Growth Quadrants
- Strategic Growth Initiatives
- Near-term and long-Term Market Growth Prospects
- Market Segment Splits and Authenticity
- Opinions on Market Projections and Validity of Assumptions
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- Association for Molecular Pathology
- Journal of Molecular Diagnostics
- Company Press Releases
- Annual Reports and Investor Presentations
- Research Papers
- Government Websites and Publications
Primary Interview Splits