Preparative and Process Chromatography Market Outlook and Key Findings
- The global preparative and process chromatography market is set to grow at an impressive pace through 2030
- North America and Europe collectively hold over 60% market share
- Asia Pacific is expected to witness the highest growth rate due to growing R&D investments
- COVID-19 has resulted in a short-term breakdown, but recovery expected in the first quarter of 2021
Preparative and Process Chromatography Market Snapshot
The primarily used preparative chromatography techniques are gas chromatography, liquid chromatography (including super critical fluid chromatography), and HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography).
Process chromatography comes into picture post preparative chromatography. It analyzes purification process performed during preparative chromatography.
An ever-increasing usage of chromatography techniques in nutraceuticals and food industry is expected to hold the hopes high for the preparative and process chromatography market in the forecast period (2020-2030).
Thin-layer chromatography coupled with HPLC technique has been enhanced by introducing loads of novel detectors like array detectors that facilitate detection at several wavelengths.
The latest trend catching up is use of chromatography techniques in purifying biopharmaceutical products.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. offers a range of purification products supporting development of biopharmaceuticals. “POROS” chromatography resins made by the company suffice analytical as well as process scale bioseparations. They are reported to offer higher throughput.
Centrifugal Partition Chromatography: The Future of Chromatography
Research states that CBD (Cannabidiol) is the basic non-psychotropic phytocannabinoid (pCB) present in Cannabaceae plant looked upon as one of the promising therapeutic tools in a broad range of psychiatric (psychosis, depression, anxiety) and non-psychiatric (impact on oxidative stress, inflammation) disorders.
All kinds of pCBs are exclusively found in the cannabis, with 100+ pCBs identified as of now.
As such, isolation becomes difficult with HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) sue to structural similarities in cannabis compounds along with adsorption behaviour on the solid stationary phases.
This is where CPC (centrifugal partition chromatography) comes across as an alternative to purification processes as it has high loading capacity, lower solvent consumption, renders 100% recovery of loaded sample, and easy scale-up.
With more number of pCBs getting identified day after day, the market pertaining to centrifugal partition chromatography.
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.
Expansion Remains Key to Growth
The preparative and process chromatography market players are climbing the expansion ladder to gain an edge over one another. This trend is bound to help the market stand in a good stead in the forecast period (2020-2030).
For instance –
- In Jul 2020, BIA Separations signed agreements with IT Technologies Pte. Ltd., GeneX India Biosciences Pvt. Ltd. for the latter to act as BIA Separations’ products’ and services’ sole distributors across Malaysia, Singapore, and India.
- In Nov 2019, SSI (Shimadzu Scientific Instruments), in collaboration with ETC (Enabling Technologies Consortium), tabled Nexera preparative Supercritical Fluid Chromatography System, a next-generation prep SFC system for providing reliable high-performance semi-prep purification to the pharmaceutical industry.
- In Jul 2019, Nanologica inked an agreement with Chinese Yunbo Technology (Beijing) to deliver preparative chromatography media as a part of production of silica at a large scale at Sterling Pharma Solutions Ltd. (contract manufacturer).
- In Oct 2017, Servier CDMO announced investment of US$ 7.5 Mn in the intensified technology inclusive of continuous chromatography with SMB (stimulated moving bed) and SFC (super critical fluid chromatography), that too, with close to 90% of solvent recycling, so as to lessen environmental impact.
Preparative and Process Chromatography Market Trends
The preparative and process chromatography market is witnessing extensive R&D. As per the IFPMA (International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations), pharmaceutical entities spend nearly US$ 149.8 Bn every single year on research. On these grounds, the research in preparative and process chromatography market includes –
FPLC (Fast Protein Liquid Chromatography) is being used for purifying biomolecules (say – proteins).
The basic advantage of an FPLC is that a UV detector has been combined with detectors to enable monitoring of pH and conductivity of sample and buffers alike. The separated biomolecules are automatically collected in fractions by fraction collector.
3D printing enables rapid fabrication of and cost-effective devices to develop automated analytical methods. The latest trend in this regard is membrane-based 3D printed separation devices that are fabricated by multi-material and print-pause-print 3D printing, or enhanced 3D printed holders to enable solid-phase extraction.
The Covid-19 Impact on Preparative and Process Chromatography Market
The outbreak of Covid-19 has compelled several governments to impose lockdown (partial/total).
As such, several ventures around the world are witnessing shortage of crude materials, which, has, in turn, slowed down the preparative and process chromatography market.
This scenario is expected to continue in the subsequent two quarters as well. The market is expected to pick up pace with the dawn of 2021.
Preparative and Process Chromatography Market: Region-wise Analysis
North America holds the highest share of preparative and process chromatography market. This could be attributed to the increasing number of funds diverted towards research in life sciences.
Europe comes in second with players looking out for local collaborations to reach out to wider geographies.
Asia Pacific is expected to grow at the fastest pace due to tide turning in the favour of R&D. For instance – As per Invest India, investment in R&D accounted for close to US$ 782 Bn in 2018 in India. This trend is expected to fuel the growth of the preparative and process chromatography market in the forecast period (2020-2030).
Key Players in the Preparative and Process Chromatography Market
The preparative and process chromatography market players are launching new products, which is expected to bolster the market between 2020 and 2030.
For instance –
- Agilent Technologies, in Jun 2019, launched the intelligent LC/MS system to suffice chromatographers at the American Society for Mass Spectrometry Conference (ASMS). The mass selective detector is the specialty of this system
- In Oct 2018, Nuvia HP-Q resins with CHT Ceramic Hydroxyapatite XT Media were launched by Bio-Rad. CHT XT does make way for high-resolution and efficient single step clearance of the aggregates along with other impurities. It also purifies enzymes, polyclonal, and monoclonal antibodies
- In 2017, GE Healthcare launched a novel protein A chromatography resin, and decided on spending US$ 70 Mn every year in the subsequent 5 years to manufacture it
The other players in the preparative and process chromatography market include:
- Pall Corporation
- Merck KGaA
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Shimadzu Corporation
- Waters Corporation
- Novasep Holding S.A.S
- Chiral Technologies, Inc
Preparative and Process Chromatography Market: The Way Forward
The preparative and process chromatography market is expected to witness an exponential growth between 2020 and 2030, as say FMI’s analysts. Though Covid-19 has resulted in a short-term slowdown, the market is expected to speed up in the years to come.
The market players, apart from new product launches and inorganic expansion, need to focus on innovation. Digitization has penetrated almost every sphere, and chromatography is no exception. Emphasis on 3D printing in separation will unleash opportunities for new ventures and partnerships going forward.
- Consumables (Columns, Chemicals and Reagents, Resins)
- Consumables (Columns, Chemicals and Reagents, Resins)
- Biotechnology & Pharmaceutical Industry
- Food & Nutraceutical Industry
- Academic Research Laboratories
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia
- Middle East and Africa