AI in Military Market Overview
Artificial intelligence (AI) is an expeditiously growing technology arena with a great potential for use in implementing and enhancing national security. Security agencies and government departments in nations spread across the globe are deploying AI technologies in military, to cater to demands raised by a wide range of defense functions.
AI research and development is being undertaken to accommodate intelligence accumulation and analytics, cyber operations, logistics, command and control, information operations, and facilitation of different levels of military-grade vehicular autonomy.
Impact of Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic on AI in Military Market
Artificial intelligence is finding a number of new applications and use cases across almost every industry vertical. Deployment of AI in military is estimated to play a key role as national governments and defense agencies strategize to combat spread of infections among military personnel and civilians.
For instance, the Joint Artificial Intelligence Center (JAIC) has developed and deployed a prototype artificial intelligence tool that utilizes vast sources of data streams in order to predict COVID-19 infection hotspots and the related logistical and supply-chain challenges.
Also, Defense Innovation Unit and Defense Threat Reduction Agency have built Rapid Analysis of Threat Exposure (RATE) technology that consists of wearable and non-invasive devices that ensure issuance of infection warning up to 48 hours prior to a personnel becoming symptomatic. Deployment of AI in military is helping guarantee military readiness, and ensure protection against further spread of coronavirus.
AI in Military: Market Dynamics
Though the technology has a great potential to facilitate a multitude of benefits, implementation of AI in military may also incur some challenges. For instance, implementation of AI in military could facilitate autonomous operability, help make informed decisions, and enhance speeds and scales of military and defense related processes.
However, integration of AI in military may also turn out to be vulnerable to uncommon forms of technical and manual manipulation. Therefore, end-users have a vast range of opinions on influential nature of AI in military. While some end-users believe that AI in military will have a minimal impact, most end-users believe that AI in military will have an evolutionary impact, even if the technology does not revolutionize the global industry.
AI in military presents unique challenges primarily because bulk of the development is taking place in commercial sector. Additionally, commercial AI applications demand significant modification before being efficient for use in military and defense. Cultural issues also restrict AI acquisition, as commercial AI companies are disinclined towards partnering with national governments and defense agencies due to ethical concerns.
AI in Military Market: Competition Landscape
Some of the key players in the global AI in military market are
- Charles River Analytics
- General Dynamics
- Harris Corporation
- Northrop Grumman
- Thales Group
- BAE Systems
- Lockheed Martin
Following are some key developments in the global AI in military market:
- In February 2020 Leidos announced the acquisition of the security automation and detection business of L3Harris Technologies. This acquisition of will help Leidos enhance the attractiveness of its automated security inspection and concealed weapon detection technologies primarily in defense and critical infrastructure protection arenas.
- In July 2020 BAE Systems announced the acquisition of Collins Aerospace’s military-grade Global Positioning System (GPS) from Raytheon. Together with the acquired team of military-grade GPS professionals BAE Systems will be able to enhance its market attractiveness and implement new capabilities in their existing solutions for customers including U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) and allies.
AI in Military Market: Regional overview
Artificial intelligence has already been implemented in military operations in Middle Eastern nations like Syria and Iraq. Congressional decision making has great potential to shape further development of AI in military with legislative and budgetary initiatives influencing growth in military sector. International rivalry in AI market is motivating the United States to enhance its competitive stand for innovative AI in military deployments.
China is one of the leading competitors in developing and deploying AI in military and the national government released a forecast in 2017 that highlighted how the nation planned to lead the global AI development arena by the end of 2030.
Currently China is focused on deploying AI in military to ensure faster and well-informed decision making while developing variety of autonomous and semi-autonomous vehicles for its military. Russia is also actively developing and deploying AI in military with a key focus on Robotic Process Automation (RPA).
The AI in Military market report is a compilation of first-hand information qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts and inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segment.
The market report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
The report covers exhaustive analysis on
- AI in Military Market Segments
- AI in Military Market Dynamics
- AI in Military Market Size
- Supply and Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition and Companies Involved in the Market
- Technology Landscape
- Value Chain of the Market
- Market Drivers and Restraints
Regional analysis includes
- North America (U.S. Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico Brazil Rest of Latin America)
- Europe (Germany Italy U.K Spain France Nordic countries BENELUX Russia Rest of Europe)
- East Asia (China Japan South Korea)
- South Asia and Pacific (India Malaysia Indonesia Singapore Australia & New Zealand Rest of South Asia and Pacific)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC Countries Turkey Northern Africa South Africa Rest of MEA)
AI in Military Market: Segmentation
The global AI in military market can been segmented on the basis of solution and application
- Information Operations
- Cyberspace Operations
- Lethal Autonomous Weapons Systems (LAWS)