Digital Printing for Packaging Market – Key Research Findings
- The global digital printing for packaging market size in 2019 is expected to be ~US$ 15 Bn.
- The digital printing for packaging market is anticipated to witness a CAGR of ~6.0%, during 2019-2029.
- North America is expected to account for a fourth of the global digital printing for packaging market in terms of revenues.
- Among the various product type segments, labels are expected to be prominent in terms of sales, followed by flexible packaging.
- Tier 1 manufacturers of digital printing for packaging are increasing their product offerings to cater to the extensive demand for digital printing.
- The liquid toner electrographic printing segment is observed to be one of the most lucrative segments in the global digital printing for packaging market.
Key Factors Shaping the Global Digital Printing for Packaging Market
- Digital Printing Highly Preferred for Printing Jobs of Shorter Run Lengths
Conventional printing technologies incur high initial setup cost and hence, per unit cost is high for low volume printing. Moreover, high frequency of orders of shorter run lengths require scheduling multiple jobs and frequent plate changing. Customized communications, as part of packaging strategy, have led to a downward trend in run sizes.
Manufacturers are looking for more precise ways of defining the equipment type and longer run lengths for printing. It is also observed that print service suppliers are mainly aiming to automate their printing technology. Therefore, short print jobs for packaging have permitted digital printing machinery manufacturers such as HP and Xeikon, to supply technology, which addresses the challenges in modern printing.
- Solutions for Variable Data Printing (VDP) Requirements
Digital printing for packaging incurs lower total cost for smaller amounts of printing jobs as compared to conventional printing technologies. Thus, companies can now print smaller quantities of packaging solutions with digital printing, with variable information, allowing the possibility of an innovative approach to packaging solutions. Variable data printing has ensured business opportunities for the digital printing for packaging market through possibilities, including printing static elements onto packaging or printing a combination of static and variable elements.
- In March 2017, Xeikon launched Xeikon PX3000 digital printer that allows variable data printing through multiple file formats and prints at higher speeds as compared to previous presses.
Digital Printing for Packaging Market: Structure Analysis
- The global digital printing for packaging market is a fragmented market due to the extensive presence of regional players.
- Some of the major players in the digital printing for packaging market include Eastman Kodak Company, Xeikon N.V., HP Inc., and Quad/Graphics, Inc.
- Leading manufacturers in the digital printing for packaging market are improving their global footprint through an expansion strategy.
- In February 2017, Elanders AB collaborated with HP Inc. for the expansion of its LGI site in Germany.
- In May 2016, Colordruck Baiersbronn expanded its printing packaging operations by implementing the Landa S10 nanographic press in its folding carton manufacturing plant.
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.
Digital Printing for Packaging - Enhancing Customisation and Flexibility
The packaging industry is witnessing a paradigm inclination toward digital on-package printing to enhance customisation and flexibility in high as well as low volume runs. Brands continue to uptake new possibilities, offering customers with more personalised designs that get their products to sell faster from store shelves.
Market Set to Grow 1.8X between 2019 and 2029
The digital printing for packaging continue to gain unabated popularity, as end-users look to benefit from dynamic on-package printing, to include a range of designs under same category. New opportunities are coming to the fore, as the digital printing continues to simplify design handling complexities, reduce operational time, and enhance flexibility in product customisation and order placement.
Developing Markets Present Downstream Opportunities for Stakeholders
Stakeholders in the digital printing for packaging market continue to witness measurable returns on investments in developed markets, namely, North America and Europe – collectively, these two regions account for ~50% shares. Developing markets are likely to send ripples of growth opportunities for the market, and stakeholders are leveraging these by supporting their customers with future-proof technologies.
The Broader Outlook
Leading players in the digital printing for packaging market are focused toward helping end-users explore new pathways with a ‘smart’ package, by catering to their need for greater traceability, smaller batch sizes, and product customisation.
How Growth Will Unfold
Digital printing for packaging will witness the largest adoption in the food industry. However, revenues from adoption in beverage, pharmaceutical and personal care & cosmetics industries will grow relatively faster through 2029.
By Print Technology Type
- Liquid Toner Electrophotography Printing
- Nano-graphic Printing
- Inkjet Technology
- Others (Dye tonner)
By Product Type
- Flexible Packaging
- Films & Wrap
- Bags & Sacks
- Pouches & Sachets
- Corrugated Packaging
- Folding Cartons
- Bottles & Jars
- Metal Cans
By End Use
- Personal care & cosmetics
- Electronic comp.
- Other (Automotive, etc)