This Pharmaceuticals Excipients market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Pharmaceuticals Excipients market.
A pharmaceutical excipient, also referred as bulking agent, filler, or diluent, is a natural or synthetic substance formulated with the active ingredient of a medication, included in a pharmaceutical dosage form to aid the manufacturing process, to protect, support or enhance stability, or for bioavailability or patient acceptability. They are also helpful in product identification and enhance the overall safety or functionality of the product during storage or use.
Thousands of different excipients are used in medicines and make up, on average, about 90% of each product. They represent a market value accounting about 0.5% of the total pharmaceutical market according to industry experts.
Market Growth Analysis
Disclaimer: This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in the report.
Segmentation of Pharmaceutical Excipient Market
Segmentation on basis of functionality:
Excipients can be classified into 7 categories on the basis of the kind of function they perform: diluents, binders, disintegrants, glidants, lubricants, tablet coating & films and coloring agents.
Diluents, which include sugar compounds such as lactose, dextrin, glucose, sucrose, sorbitol etc., and inorganic compounds such as silicates, salts of calcium & magnesium, sodium chloride etc., are used for providing bulk and enables accurate dosing of potent ingredients.
Binders are mainly natural or synthetic polymers such as starch, sugar alcohols and cellulose derivatives which are used to bind the tablet ingredients together to give form and mechanical strength.
Disintegrants aids dispersion of the tablets in the gastrointestinal tract, releasing the active ingredient along with increasing the surface area for dissolution.
Glidants like colloidal anhydrous silicon, are used in reducing the friction and adhesion between particles and improves the flow of powders during tablet manufacturing.
Coloring agents are mainly synthetic dyes used to improve patient acceptability, aid identification and prevent counterfeiting.
Segmentation on basis of regions:
Global market of pharmaceutical excipients is sub-segmented into 7 key regions- North America, Latin America, East Europe, West Europe, Asia Pacific excluding japan and Middle East & Africa.
Developed regions like North America and Europe are expected to experience a slow growth, due to already established excipients market, during the forecast period while the emerging market like Asia-Pacific is expected to record a strong growth during the same period owing to the availability of cheap labor, skills in abundance and comparatively lower cost of the raw materials. Countries like Brazil, India, and China are expected to be the major contributors in the growth of these emerging markets mainly due to the rising per capita income and increase in the number of companies from the developed regions willing to outsource their excipients manufacturing activities due to low manufacturing and labor costs in these regions.
Drivers and Restraints
The global pharmaceutical excipients market is expected to grow at a healthy CAGR during the forecast period due to increasing utilization of parenteral products owing to rise in the global burden of chronic and lifestyle diseases and heavy investments by the pharmaceutical industry on the development of biologics.
Additionally, Adoption of modern science like nanotechnology to impart innovative functions to the excipients used for target specific functionality of the active ingredients, resulting in reduced drug toxicity, a major challenge faced by the pharmaceutical industry, is also propelling the global market during the forecast period.
The product demand is increasing in the emerging markets like Asia-Pacific and Latin America, therefore proper expansion planning, focus on various R&D and innovations to launch new products would be a great opportunity.
The growth of the market is hampered to a certain extent by the factors like declining investments in R&D by excipients producers, and increasing regulatory requirements leading to scarcity of U.S. FDA approved manufacturing sites.
Major players in the global market of pharmaceutical excipients are BASF (Germany) and Ashland, Inc. (U.S.) which dominate the market share with their diversified product portfolio and aggressive sales strategies.
Some other key players include Avantor Performance Materials, Inc. (U.S.), The Dow Chemical Company (U.S.), FMC Corporation (U.S.), Evonik Industries (Germany), Lubrizol Corporation (U.S.), Roquette (France) and Colorcon, Inc. (U.S.)
Business expansions, new product launches, mergers & acquisitions and collaborations with educational universities are the key strategies adopted by most companies in the global pharmaceutical excipients market. The need for innovative functional excipients in the pharmaceutical industry will lead to innovations in the market during the forecast period. Owing to this strategy, leading players are continuously introducing several advanced excipients and modified categories of existing excipients in the market.
The research report presents a comprehensive assessment of the market and contains thoughtful insights, facts, historical data and statistically-supported and industry-validated market data and projections with a suitable set of assumptions and methodology. It provides analysis and information by categories such as market applications and product type.
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
NOTE - All statements of fact, opinion, or analysis expressed in reports are those of the respective analysts. They do not necessarily reflect formal positions or views of Future Market Insights.
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Pharmaceuticals Excipients Market Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
The report covers exhaustive analysis on:
- Market Segments
- Market Dynamics
- Market Size
- Supply & Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies involved
- Value Chain
Regional analysis includes
- Greater China
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics of the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and product offerings
- Potential and niche segments/regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective towards market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose FMI?
- With a global presence and a trusted partner to several Fortune 500 firms, FMI covers 1 billion+ data points to build a diversified portfolio for market benchmarking
- Market Reports researched and peer reviewed by industry experts from across the globe
- We follow a multi-dimensional method of analysis monitoring a three-layer data validation process
- In addition to demand-side market assessment, our data triangulation methodology involves supply-side research
- Primary research includes mandatory field interviews with stakeholders involved
- Customizing reports according to client specification is also our forte
What will you discover from Pharmaceuticals Excipients Market report?
- The current and future market size, covering each aspect and nuanced trends across key national and geographic markets
- An overview of the market report, providing an imperative visual of the varied market subdivisions and overall forecast statistics in terms of value and volume
- Extensive database and key dynamics elevating the market with varied verticals associated
- Underlying Pharmaceuticals Excipients Market forces that are compelling consumers or businesses to purchase the product
- How novel technologies and consumer-centric innovations will create new value-adding opportunities for companies active in the Pharmaceuticals Excipients Market
- What will be environment and regulatory impacts on the market over the next decade
Which framework has been used to develop the Pharmaceuticals Excipients Market report?
- Investment Feasibility Matrix - It shows returns on investment, level of competition, success rate of investment, and potential risks associated with the market. The analysis shows that the competition is high in the established market, while the returns for short-term investment are also taken into consideration
- Relative Maturity Mapping – The relative maturity is measured according to three growth phases (growth, maturity, decline)
- Relative PLC (Product Life Cycle) – Analysis of the emergence of prominent players and competitive test prices which are driving factors behind every market. (expected market behavior, observed market behavior, expected market performance, observed market performance)