Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) Treatment Market - Key Research Findings
- Global Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market size in 2018 – nearly US$ 7,800 Mn.
- The Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market is expected to grow at an approximate CAGR of 7.2% over 2018-2028.
- North America and Europe are expected to remain the largest regional markets for Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment
- North America and Europe are among the prominent regions in the Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market owing to the increasing adoption of biologics and biosimilars, along with the growing adoption of combination treatment for psoriatic arthritis.
- The launch of new drugs and a strong product pipeline is expected to exploit the growth prospects of the Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market
- Major players in the Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market, such as Pfizer Inc., Amgen Inc., Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., etc., are entering into strategic collaborations and acquisitions for drug development. Majority of the manufacturers of psoriatic arthritis products are focusing on launching their products in Europe due to chances of early approval as compared to FDA. For instance, in 2017 Amgen and Simcere entered into a strategic collaboration to co-develop and commercialise biosimilars in China.
- Biologics segment is expected to remain the most preferred drug type segment of the Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market
- The growth of this segment can be primarily attributed to the global growth of the biologics market. The growth of the biologics market can be mainly attributed to factors such as high efficacy and less adverse effects, coupled with continuous research for the treatment of chronic diseases. These are also among factors that are expected to propel the Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market.
Top 3 Factors Shaping the Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) Treatment Market
Launch of new products and availability of inexpensive biosimilar antibody therapeutics are among the major trends in the Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market
Key market players, such as Pfizer Inc., Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., AbbVie Inc., and Amgen Inc., are focusing on developing next-generation antibody therapeutics, along with the increasing psoriatic arthritis treatment-seeking rate and patient acceptance. For example-
- Inflectra, which is a biosimilar of Remicade that was approved by the European Union in 2013, is now available globally
- Inflectra was commercially launched in 2015 in the U.S., when it generated a revenue of US$ 30 Mn. Within the first year of its launch, it registered 540% Y-o-Y growth in sales across the world in 2016
- Novartis AG, a leader in prescription medicines for psoriatic arthritis treatment, recently received European Union approvals for two biosimilars for rheumatoid arthritis
Increasing prevalence of psoriatic arthritis is expected to create strong demand for Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment
According to Arthritis Foundation, around 60 to 70% of patients with psoriasis ultimately suffer from PsA, and 15 to 20% of arthritis patients develop psoriasis. Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) is prevalent among 0.05% to 0.25% of the general population, and 6% to 41% of patients worldwide suffer from psoriasis. According to the National Psoriasis Foundation, psoriasis is among the most prevalent autoimmune diseases in the U.S., and 2.4 million people suffer from psoriatic arthritis.
High adoption rate of conventional DMARD therapies in cost-sensitive markets is estimated to boost the Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market over the forecast period
Conventional DMARDs are being used for Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment since the launch of Ridaura in 1985. Despite enormous progress in Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment with biologic DMARDs during the past 16 years, conventional DMARDs are being used as a first- and second-line therapy for Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment in the resource-limited settings of emerging markets such as India, Africa, and Brazil, among others.
Moreover, manufacturers are investigating some novel anti-rheumatic disease-modifying agents that are expected to be in the market in next few years. The uptake of these agents by patients and prescribers is expected to contribute to market growth. For instance, Piclidenoson is being developed as a first-line therapy and as an alternative to methotrexate.
Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) Treatment Market Structure Analysis
- The global Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market is a consolidated market owing to the presence of major market players
- Some of the prominent companies in the Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market include Pfizer Inc., Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., AbbVie Inc., Amgen Inc., Novartis AG, AstraZeneca Plc UCB S.A., Eli Lilly & Co, and Celgene Corporation
- Companies are focusing on obtaining extended approvals for already approved drugs to boost their position in the psoriatic arthritis treatment market
- Manufacturers are focusing on maintaining a strong pipeline as well on sustaining their revenue losses due to patent expiry. For this purpose, companies are continuously investing in the development of new drugs
- Some of the major manufacturers that contribute a high revenue share in the Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market are Pfizer Inc., Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., Amgen Inc., and AstraZeneca Plc
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.
Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) Treatment: Unlocking the Potential of Biosimilars
Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment continues to gain high demand due to the launch of biologics & biosimilar therapies, and the growing adoption of novel treatments. In the recent years, manufacturers have renewed their focus on strategic collaborations for the development of biosimilars and the expansion of their businesses in emerging markets. The global demand for Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment is rising as a result of the launch of biosimilars and follow on biologics that are undergoing clinical trial programs.
Competitive LandscapeMarket Set to Grow by 2.0X between 2018 and 2028
The Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market is likely to witness steady growth over the course of the forecast period, which is expected to be driven by the increasing prevalence of Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) across the world, and increasing clinical research for the development of new drugs for the treatment of psoriatic arthritis. Furthermore, increase in funding for research and development is another factor shaping the economic growth, which is also contributing to the growth of the Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market.
Emerging Countries Promise New Opportunities for the Growth of Biosimilars
North America is expected to contribute the highest revenue share in the global Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market in 2019. However, healthy growth is expected in developed and developing regions, especially Europe and Asia Pacific, as governments and private players in these regions are focusing on developing novel therapies for the treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA).
Among the emerging countries, India and China are likely to present sustainable growth opportunities for stakeholders in the Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market. Due to strong growth of India and China, the Asia Pacific region is likely to emerge as a lucrative market during the forecast period.
The Broader Perspective
Stakeholders in the Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) treatment market are focusing on developing new oral treatments with the potential to benefit psoriatic arthritis patients, which further increases the adoption of oral treatments. Manufacturers are focusing on offering effective products by using a combination of drugs such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs. Investments in R&D are expected to continue to grow during the assessment period.
How Growth will Unfold
The biologics segment is expected to maintain its leading position over other drug types during the assessment period, whereas the disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs segment is expected to grow at a moderate growth rate.
PSORIATIC ARTHRITIS (PSA) TREATMENT MARKET TAXONOMY
The global psoriatic arthritis (PsA) treatment market is segmented in detail to cover every aspect of the market and present a complete market intelligence approach in front of the reader.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Disease modifying Anti-rheumatic drugs
- TNF Inhibitors
- Interleukin inhibitors
By Route of Administration
By Distribution Channel
- Hospital pharmacies,
- Retail pharmacies,
- Mail order pharmacies
- North America
- Latin America
- South Asia
- East Asia
- Middle East & Africa