Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment Market Outlook and Key Findings
- The global ankylosing spondylitis treatment market is expected to grow at a steady CAGR through 2030
- Ankylosing spondylitis treatment market players focusing on innovation & regulatory approvals
- North America and Europe collectively account for more than 50% of market share – revenue concentrated in the US and EU4
- Inclusion of nanocurcumin to bolster the ankylosing spondylitis treatment market in the forecast period
Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment Market Analysis
As per Arthritis Care & Research,almost 20-50% of people suffering from ankylosing spondylitis are reported to show spinal progression of certain level in the last two years of follow-up.
The TNF inhibitor treatments and NSAIDs (Non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs) have been cornerstone therapies regarding managing ankylosing spondylitis and other types of inflammatory arthritis conditions.
The European Congress of Rheumatology (EULAR) annual meeting presented a French study raising a concern that rheumatologists, in spite of being knowledgeable about biosimilars, abstain from switching over to them due to lack of confidence in this treatment option.
On the other hand, European Journal of Integrative Medicine, Sep 2019, stated that Moxibustion, a type of heat therapy combined with traditional treatments is likely to provide short-term benefit to the ones affected by ankylosing spondylitis. This therapy is already put into practice all over East Asia.
Besides, findings at the Universita Degli Studi del Molise (Italy) state that physiotherapy is advantageous for ankylosing spondylitis-affected patients.
Though anti-inteleukin medications and anti-tumor necrosis have improved prognosis for a sizable number of patients; physiotherapy helps those who do not respond positively to these drugs. Moreover, modern day treatments press for physical rehabilitation and therapy.
Of late, research conducted at the University of Medical Sciences (Iran) concluded that T reg cells (suppressing the immune system) were upregulated in ankylosing spondylitis-affected patients who received a dose of nanocurcumin for 4 months in a row. Turmeric contains curcumin in the form of a naturally-occurring yellow colored substance.
The factors mentioned above are expected to compel the governments to divert a greater portion of their revenue towards extensive research, thereby driving the ankylosing spondylitis treatment market.
Market Players are Focusing on R&D and Innovations
The ankylosing spondylitis treatment market players are focusing on innovation and approval to gain a competitive edge over one another.
This trend is bound to help the ankylosing spondylitis market stand in a better stead between 2020 and 2030.
For instance –
- In Jun 2020, Germany-based real-world data stated that Simponi (golimumab), a TNF inhibitor, is one of the most effective therapies for ankylosing spondylitis-affected patients.
- In Feb 2020, Taltz (ixekizumab) was approved by Health Canada for treating adults with ankylosing spondylitis who weren’t responsive to traditional therapies.
- In Dec 2019, Avsola (infliximab-axxq), biosimilar to Remicade (infliximab) for treating ankylosing spondylitis, was approved by the US FDA. Amgen is the maker of this biosimilar.
- In Nov 2019, AbbVie, at 2019 American College of Rheumatology (ACR)/Association for Rheumatology Professionals (ARP) Annual Meeting, presented positive results from phase 2 & 3 SELECT-AXIS 1 trial for treatment against ankylosing Spondylitis in the form of Rinvoq.
- In Nov 2019, the US FDA approved Abrilada (adalimumab-afzb), biosimilar to Humira (adalimumab) for treating people infected with 7 inflammatory diseases (ankylosing spondylitis included). Abrilada is credited to Pfizer.
- In Sep 2019, outcome of phase 2 study that examined filgotinib suggested that oral therapy could prove to be an effective treatment regarding active ankylosing spondylitis.
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.
Covid-19 Impact on Ankylosing Spondylitis Market
Ankylosing Spondylitis infected patients need to be extra careful amidst Covid-19. If they, by any means, signal towards active respiratory infection, they should consult their medical practitioner before continuing with the medications as that infection could be Covid-19, which may ask for a combination of varied medications/precautions.
Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment Market Trends
The healthcare industry is moving towards extensive research with regards to ankylosing spondylitis, so as to continue with the geometric progression on the count of innovations.
For instance –
- In Jul 2020, scientists at Rockefeller University inferred that newly discovered “PRIME cells” are capable of tamping down the inflammation caused due to rheumatoid arthritis. As such, one could foretell and treat rheumatoid arthritis flares. This discovery is bound to open doors to invention of biosimilars to treat this kind of spondylitis before it reaches the advanced stage.
- In Jun 2020, Celltrion Healthcare received recommendation from CHMP (Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use) for use of Remsima in ankylosing spondylitis.
- In Oct 2019, SAA (Spondylitis Association of America) entered into partnership with PatientPoint for improving education regarding spondylitis and also extend support to rheumatology practices all over the US.
Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment Market: Regional Analysis
- North America holds the largest share of ankylosing spondylitis treatment market due to feasible reimbursement scenario in the US coupled with massive approvals for biosimilars by the US FDA.
- European ankylosing spondylitis treatment market is benefitting from governments investing in research regarding effective treatment for ankylosing spondylitis.
- Asia Pacific is expected to witness a linear transition in the ankylosing spondylitis treatment market due to countries like India and China moving from indolence to awareness regarding ankylosing spondylitis treatment
Major Players in the Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment Market
The ankylosing spondylitis treatment market players have been devising biosimilars to combat ankylosing spondylitis.
Also, branded drugs’ patent expiry is opening doors for biosimilars. For instance – Remicade expired in 2015. This resulted in Inflectra getting introduced in 2016. The year 2017 witnessed introduction of Renflexis. Likewise, in 2019, Avsola got introduced.
The major players in the ankylosing spondylitis treatment market include:
- Mitsubishi Tanabe
Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment Market: The Way Forward
The ankylosing spondylitis treatment market, as stated by FMI, is expected to witness a steady growth rate between 2020 and 2030.
The market players are working on war footing to devise medications for ankylosing spondylitis.
Inorganic growth parameters could also be pondered about. For instance – strategic partnerships across various geographies could help in reaching out to more number of patients
- Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs
- Anti-Inflammatory Drugs
- Immunosuppressive Drugs
- TNF Blockers
- JAK Inhibitors
Route of Administration
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia
- Middle East and Africa