This Desert Island Tourism market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Desert Island Tourism market.
Desert Island Tourism: Overview
The term desert island is a fairly misleading one. Most people assume that it is a hot, sandy island with the odd palm tree or so in sight, akin to an actual desert. It is actually just an archaic form of the word deserted. It doesn’t mean that the island in question is dry, but simply that it is uninhabited. There have been several novels throughout history which have highlighted these pristine, untouched wonders of nature. The most famous of them all would certainly be Daniel Defoe’s ‘Robinson Crusoe’ whose protagonist gets stranded in a location that is clearly not a ‘desert island’ but a deserted one. The story of Brendon Grimshaw who purchased Moyenne Island in the Indian Ocean is also well-known. He bought the island for $20,000 in 1964, moved there in 1973 and spent the remaining four decades of his life on it. This has given rise to a very niche aspect of tourism called desert island tourism. Many novels, films and TV shows have inspired people to experience the great outdoors, seclusion and intimacy that can only be offered by the desert island tourism. Tour operators have also eagerly cashed in on this fad and offer several options to discerning customers which allow them to escape civilisation and truly feel like a ‘part of nature’ again.
Desert Island Tourism: Drivers
Honeymooners and people seeking to visit an offbeat destination are likely to be the biggest customers for desert island tourism. Desert islands offer seclusion, privacy and intimacy like no other destination on the planet which makes them very appealing to newlywed couples. Some desert islands even offer private villas, secluded retreats, eco-resorts and luxury hotels now so that couples can spend time on their own without sacrificing any modern day creature comforts. The second largest group would be people who seek out exotic destinations that are not the traditional tourist magnets. What better way to attract these tourists than their very own desert island for a few days? The third driver could be people wishing to indulge in adventure sports or any outdoor activities. Desert islands frequently offer the option of hiking, mountain biking, walking, trekking, fishing, snorkelling and scuba diving. These options can satisfy the adventure junkie who might also crave some isolation from the hustle and bustle of modern day life.
Desert Island Tourism: Restraints
A major challenge for desert island tourism could be psychological barriers in people’s minds. It is quite unnerving to spend time so far away from civilisation without any access to modern technology. These destinations must make it clear to their customers that they are very much safe and can reach their customers within a very short time in case of any emergency or untoward incident. Customers are also provided with walkie-talkies or satellite phones which they can use if the whole experience is a bit too much. The second major challenge to desert island tourism is cost. Several tour operators charge anywhere between GBP 500 to 1000 for merely a week’s stay for two people with flights not being included. This makes it very expensive for all but the keenest, discerning or well-heeled of travellers.
Desert Island Tourism: Options
There are thousands of desert islands across the world which people can visit if they wish to explore. Some of the notable ones include Okunoshima Island (Japan), Jaco Island (East Timor), Clipperton Island (Mexico), Tree Island (South China Sea), Palmyra Atoll (Hawaii), Auckland Islands (New Zealand), Mu Ko Ang Thong (Thailand), Ball’s Pyramid (Australia), Cocos Island (Costa Rica), Aldabra Island (Seychelles) and many others.
Desert Island Tourism: Key Players
Some companies offer their customers desert island tourism packages are Docastaway, Phu Quoc Tours, Freedom Adventures, Kantiang Tours, Williams Tours, Emmanuel Tours, Island Safari etc.
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Desert Island Tourism Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
Desert Island Tourism
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint
Frequently Asked Questions
What research methodology is used to develop the Desert Island Tourism report?
- FMI utilizes three branched methods to derive market measurements used to compile any report study (data derivation, triangulation and validation).
- These approaches include accumulating data from both primary and secondary sources
- Primary research involves interviews with industry operators and FMI's network of contacts spanning the world's value chain of the Desert Island Tourism. This is supported by a comprehensive literature analysis of information gathered through secondary sources
- Analysis of several middle market stakeholders for country-wise data
What else does FMI offer apart from Desert Island Tourism report?
In addition to up-to-date market figures and customized of the Desert Island Tourism, FMI offer consulting services to help businesses within industry navigate challenges and take well-informed decisions amidst the breakneck competition.
How do you define competitors based on market structure? What aspects about a competitor are included in the company profile section?
- Most of the competitors are segregated according to their market share in 'Tier' wise statures.
- Global market participants are scrutinized and global competition metrics are included with numerous competitor profiles referring to their business background and go-to market strategies.