This Food Grade Carrageenan Market market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Food Grade Carrageenan Market market.
Carrageenan is a hydrocolloid, derived from red seaweed. It is used as an ingredient in various food products, such as bakery, dairy, sauces and meat products. Carrageenan has no nutritional value, and on processing, it forms a gel. It has many functions, which differ from application to application. For instance, in ice creams, carrageenan prevents meltdown, in chocolates it provides body & the texture, acts as a thickening agent in custard and a stabilizer in whipped cream.
There are three main commercial classes of carrageenan available, namely, kappa, iota and lambda. Kappa is the most used carrageenan in food, where it acts as a stabilizer, bodying agent and emulsifier in cheese, ice cream, chocolate and puddings. Iota is used for ready-to-eat meals, whereas, lambda is mostly used for whipped cream. The food grade carrageenan is often mentioned in processed food ingredients as E407 or E407a, which means it has processed seaweed. In few food products, carrageenan mentioned as a dietary fiber. Carrageenan can be classified as:
Market Growth Analysis
Disclaimer: This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in the report.
Degraded carrageenan: Low molecular weight carrageenan is recognized as a carcinogen in lab animals, and is therefore classified as a “possible human carcinogen” by the International Agency for Research on Cancer.
Undegraded carrageenan: High molecular weight, and the food grade carrageenan belongs to the undegraded category.
Carrageenan, gets its name from ‘carragheen’, a village in Ireland, where seaweed grows along the coast. Carrageenan, which is used in food processing, is mostly grown in Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam and other nearby Asian countries.
One of the major drivers of the food grade carrageenan market is the rising demand of processed foods. With increasing awareness about the ingredients of processed foods, the demand for organic ingredients is also on the rise. Other very important factor for the growth in carrageenan market is the multi-functionality of the product. It acts as a thicker, stabilizer, texturing and gelling agent. This replaces a lot of other products used in processed foods. In various studies, it has been found that with food-grade carrageenan (undegraded), a small percentage of degraded carrageenan was present. This resulted in health problems like colon inflammation and ulcers. Due, to this, there goes a controversy, whether carrageenan is good for consumption or not.
The food grade carrageenan market is segmented on the basis of application, function and source. On the basis of application, the market is segmented into dairy, meat & meat products, bakery, confectionary, beverages, sauces and others. On the basis of the function, the food grade carrageenan market is further divided by gelling, thickening, stabilization and coating. And, the source of deriving carrageenan is segmented by marine, animal and plants.
The food grade carrageenan market is segmented on the basis of regions into North America, Latin America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia-Pacific excluding Japan (APEJ), Middle East & Africa (MEA) and Japan. Asia-Pacific is estimated to hold the largest share in the industry, with rising number of applications. European Union and Latin America are also large producers of food-grade carrageenan, which is exported all over the world.
The major players in the food grade carrageenan industry are, DuPont (U.S.), Cargill (U.S.), Kerry Group (Ireland), CP Kelco (U.S.), Ashland Inc (U.S.), Ingredion (U.S.), TIC Gums (U.S.) and Tate & Lyle (U.K.). Cargill and DuPont are estimated to be the leaders in the industry, with major production in Southeast Asian countries like Indonesia, Vietnam and Philippines. Carrageenan’s, are mostly purchased on the basis of their functionality in specific food applications and not as commodities. Most of the major carrageenan manufacturers concentrate on investing their budgets to maintain active applications in food industry and technical marketing groups to serve the ever-changing needs of their customers.
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
NOTE - All statements of fact, opinion, or analysis expressed in reports are those of the respective analysts. They do not necessarily reflect formal positions or views of Future Market Insights.
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Food Grade Carrageenan Market Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
The Report covers exhaustive analysis on:
- Food Grade Carrageenan Market Segments
- Food Grade Carrageenan Market Dynamics
- Historical Actual Market Size, 2013-2015 for Global Food Grade Carrageenan Market
- Food Grade Carrageenan Market Size & Forecast 2016 to 2026
- Value Chain
- Food Grade Carrageenan Market Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition and Companies involved in Food Grade Carrageenan Market
- Global Food Grade Carrageenan Market Drivers and Restraints
Regional analysis for Global Food Grade Carrageenan Market includes:
- North America
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia and New Zealand (ANZ)
- Greater China
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa
- GCC Countries
- Other Middle East
- North Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of MEA MEA
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics of the Global Food Grade Carrageenan industry
- In-depth market segmentation of Global Food Grade Carrageenan industry
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of volume and value of Global Food Grade Carrageenan industry
- Recent industry trends and developments of Global Food Grade Carrageenan industry
- Competitive landscape of Global Food Grade Carrageenan industry
- Strategies of key players and product offerings in the Global Food Grade Carrageenan industry
- Potential and niche segments/regions exhibiting promising growth in Global Food Grade Carrageenan industry
- A neutral perspective towards market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint.