Medical Mask Sales to Surge over 2X Over 2019 - 2029
Changing patient demographics, rising healthcare expenses, complex technologies, and evolving customer demands - the challenges before the healthcare industry are numerous, yet so are the opportunities. Stakeholders in healthcare sector are radically shifting from responding to diseases to sustaining well-being. Medical masks are commonplace in surgeries and outpatient department (OPD) sessions in order to shield medical professionals from possible contamination. Moreover, the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has taken a humanitarian toll, as such, the general public is also banking on medical masks as part of preventative healthcare. Over the forecast period, 2019-2029, the worldwide usage of medical masks will experience over two-fold growth.
Medical Mask Market - Key Research Findings
- The global Medical Mask market size in 2019 was valued at ~ US$ 3,648.9 Mn.
- The Medical Mask market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of ~ 9.6%during the forecast period of 2019-2029.
- The N95 respirators segment is expected to remain as the most preferred product type segment in the Medical Mask market.
- The growth of this particular segment can be primarily attributed to increasing prevalence of respiratory disease.
- North America is stipulated to account for ~ one-third of the revenue shares in the medical mask market by the end of 2030.
- The North America market is estimated to continue to be the opportunistic market for medical mask providers, as the medical mask market is growing and mask are increasingly being used in hospitals and surgical centres.
- Academic and research institute will continue to be as prominent end-use category in creating significant growth opportunities for the medical mask market players.
- Face mask and full-face mask are expected to witness relatively high demand in research institutes. These mask are used by researchers during various research procedure to avoid contaminations and protection from harmful molecules. This is anticipated to increase the market growth of Medical Mask globally.
Key Factors Shaping the Medical Mask Market
Customized Solution Offerings for Specific Needs Presenting Lucrative Opportunities for the Market Growth
Due to the medical community’s ever-evolving needs, the demand for specialized medical masks that are customized according to applications. Some examples of customized product in medical mask market include surgical mask, N95 respirators, face mask, full-face mask, laryngeal masks and anesthesia masks, which are offered to match costumers demand for a particular application.
Health professional tend to prefer disposable medical mask during surgeries to avoid the time, cost and effort required to sterilization of masks. Manufacturer usually focus on establishing a strong distribution network to enable services to reach customers from their manufacturing facilities within a short duration.
Strategic Acquisitions and Mergers
Top players are focusing on increasing acquisitions at regional levels. This trend is observed across North America, Europe, and in Asian countries such as India, Japan, and China. Such strategies also enable companies to enter new emerging markets as well as enhance their presence in existing markets. For instance- For instance, in 2019, Examinetics announced the collaboration with Moldex-Metric, Inc. to offer nationwide online respirator clearance evaluations.
The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has been putting a constant pressure on the medical mask market. As the number of confirmed cases increasing exponentially, manufacturers are ramping up the production of medical masks in order to bridge the supply-demand gap. While China – origin of the pandemic - has shut down its manufacturing operations, stakeholders are exploring different regions for medical mask supply.
More Collaborative Activities between Key Players and Research Institutes Propelling the Demand for Medical Mask
Rapidly increasing collaborative activities, including collaborations and agreements undertaken by medical mask provider companies with research institutes, hospitals, surgical centers is expected to propel the growth of the medical mask market over the forecast period.
Companies enter into collaborations with an aim to develop and upgrade key healthcare technologies as well as develop new products.
Medical Mask Market Structure Analysis
- The global medical mask market is a highly consolidated market. Approximately % - % share of the market is held by tier-1 players.
- In high-impact markets such as the U.S. and Europe, there are stringent regulations for the approval of medical device. Also, the approval of medical mask for the medical application is needed to fulfil the requirement of FDA Application, CE Mark or other regulatory filing, limits growth opportunities for the medical mask market, especially among emerging players.
- Continuous investments in providing robust and product have led to commercialization of medical mask with the ability to incorporate in many solutions, for achieving faster growth to boost the growth prospects of the medical mask market.
- Major players in the medical mask market are GE Healthcare, 3M, Medline Industries, Inc. and Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Global medical mask market players are also focussed on emerging markets such as Brazil, India and Mexico, thanks to their significant marketing network of distributors. Moreover, due to strategic partnerships and tie-ups with local sales bodies and presence of international offices in other regions, major players could deliver their product offerings to retain their customer base.
Base year considered
Actual estimates/Historical data
2015 - 2019
2020 - 2030
Value (USD) Mn
Product Type, Application, End-User, and Region
North America (US & Canada), Europe (UK, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Russia, BENELUX and Rest of Europe), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and Rest of LA), East Asia (China, Japan and South Korea) South Asia (India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Rest of South Asia), Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) and MEA (GCC, South Africa, Turkey, Northern Africa and Rest of MEA)
GE Healthcare (US), 3M (US), Medline Industries, Inc. (US) and Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
Major 12 players covered.
Revenue forecast, company share, competitive landscape, growth factors, and trends
Surgical Masks and N95 Respirators - Key Value Creators
The novel coronavirus pandemic is a respiratory tract infection. As such, demand for medical masks, especially surgical masks, and N95 respirators, has remarkably increased. While N95 respirator mask particulate are highly preferable among healthcare professionals, given their excellent effectiveness, affordable cost of surgical masks is enabling their broader adoption amongst the general public. Together, both these medical masks procure over 60% value share, and the trend will continue through 2029. Furthermore, market players are investing in face, and full-face masks, which find application in academic and research institutes.
Opportunities Prevail in Developed Regions
North America and Europe have been the test beds for tech-driven transformations in the healthcare industry. In addition, governments in both the developed regions have been significantly increasing their healthcare expenditure in an effort to facilitate patients with better care delivery. The COVID-19 spread has overwhelmed the healthcare systems, particularly in countries - Italy, Spain, and the US. The epidemiological numbers continue to rise, thus, accenting for the need of medical masks for both, medical professionals, and general public.
* This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in report.
Government-backed Initiatives to Offer Impetus to Market Growth
Governments and non-profit organizations worldwide are allocating resources and coordinating standards in order to spur innovation and production of medical masks. Case in point, Honeywell International Inc. has expanded its production capacity for N95 respirators and began new manufacturing operation in Phoenix on government’s call. On similar grounds, the Chinese government is providing funding for the establishment of manufacturing facility for production of medical masks. Such initiatives would upgrade existing standards and identify gaps in the industry, thereby boosting the revenue pool of medical mask market.
Surgical masks stay in-demand
N95 respirators to pick pace
High application in respiratory safety
Usage in surgeries to rise
Hospitals remain key end user
Research and academic institutes to create stable demand
How Growth will Unfold
In 2019, hospitals captured around half of overall medical mask market revenue, primarily attributable to prolonged hospital stays, and rise in surgical procedure rates. However, FMI reveals that this figure is likely to drop markedly over the decade ahead. By 2029, market players will create over US$ 5 Bn from hospitals. Moving on, manufacturers are substantially shifting their focus toward research and academic institutes. Researchers require medical masks during various research activities in order to avoid contaminations and ensure protection from harmful molecules. Furthermore, both, hospitals and research and academic institutes, will share equal divide in the medical mask market.
* This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in report.Click Here To Know How The Growth Will Unfold
Custom Market Research Services
FMI offers custom market research services that help clients to get information on their business scenario required where syndicated solutions are not enough.
A recent market study published by Future Market Insights on the medical mask market includes global industry analysis of 2015-2019 and opportunity assessment for 2020-2030, and delivers a comprehensive assessment of the most important market dynamics. After conducting thorough research on the historical as well as current growth parameters of the market, the growth prospects of the market are obtained with maximum precision.
Medical Mask Market Taxonomy
The global medical mask market is segmented in detail to cover every aspect of the market and present a complete market intelligence approach to the reader.
- Surgical Mask
- N95 Respirators
- Face Mask
- Full-Face Mask
- Laryngeal Masks
- Disposable Laryngeal Masks
- Reusable Laryngeal Masks
- Anesthesia Masks
- Disposable Anesthesia Masks
- Reusable Anesthesia Masks
- Respiratory Safety
- Infections Disease
By End User
- Diagnostic Laboratories
- Research and Academic Institute
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia
- Middle East and Africa (MEA)
The report initiates with the executive summary of the medical mask market, which includes a summary of key findings and statistics of the market. It also includes supply-side and demand-side trends pertaining to the market.
Readers can find the definition and a detailed segmentation of the market in this chapter, which will help them understand the basic information about the market. Along with this, comprehensive information pertaining to types of medical mask and their features are provided in this section. This section also highlights the inclusions and exclusions, which helps the reader understand the scope of the market report.
Medical mask market report provides the key market trends that are expected to significantly impact market growth during the forecast period. Detailed industry trends are provided in this section.
This section includes the key successful factors and strategies being adopted by key market participants.
This section explains the global market value analysis and forecast for the market during the forecast period. This chapter includes a detailed analysis of the historical market, along with an opportunity analysis of the future. Readers can also find the absolute $ opportunity for the current year (2019), and an incremental $ opportunity for the forecast period (2019–2029).
This section gives information about drivers and restraints of the market. This section also includes macroeconomic factors and various opportunities of the market.
Based on product type, the market is segmented into surgical mask, N95 respirators, face mask, full-face mask, laryngeal masks and anesthesia masks. In this chapter, readers can find information about Y-o-Y growth and market attractiveness analysis based on product.
Based on application, the market is segmented into respiratory safety, infections disease, allergies and surgeries. In this chapter, readers can understand the Y-o-Y growth and market attractiveness analysis based on application.
This chapter provides details about the market based on the end user, and has been classified into (hospitals, academic & research institutes, diagnostic laboratories, individual). In this chapter, readers can understand the market attractiveness analysis based on end user.
This chapter explains how the market will grow across various geographic regions such as North America, Latin America, Europe, East Asia, South Asia, Oceania and Middle East & Africa.
This chapter includes a detailed analysis of growth of the North America market, along with a country-wise assessment that includes the U.S. and Canada. Readers can also find the regional trends, and market growth based on the product type, application, end user, and countries in North America.
This chapter provides the growth scenario of the market in Latin American countries such as Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and the Rest of Latin America. Along with this, assessment of the market across target segments has been provided.
Important growth prospects of the market based on its end users in several countries such as the U.K., France, Germany, Spain, Italy, BEBELUX, Russia and the Rest of Europe are included in this chapter.
Important growth prospects of the market across target segments in several countries such as China, Japan and South Korea are included in this chapter.
In this chapter, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia countries are the prominent countries in the South Asia region. Readers can find detailed information about the growth parameters of the South Asia market during the forecast period of 2020-2030.
This section highlights the growth prospects of the market for Australia and New Zealand, during the forecast period of 2020-2030.
This chapter provides information about how the market will grow in major countries in the MEA region such as GCC Countries, South Africa, and the Rest of MEA, during the forecast period of 2020-2030.
This chapter highlights the tier structure analysis, market concentration analysis and company share analysis along with sales footprint analysis of key player operating in market.
In this chapter, readers can find a comprehensive list of all the prominent stakeholders in the market, along with a detailed information about each company, which includes company overview, revenue shares, strategic overview, and recent company developments. Some of the market players featured are GE Healthcare (US), 3M (US), Medline Industries, Inc. (US), Thermo Fisher Scientific (Ireland), Smiths Group plc. (UK), Ambu A/S.( Denmark), Hsiner Co., Ltd. (Taiwan), KindWell Medical (China), BioClean (ANSELL LTD.) (US), Moldex-Metric Inc. (Canada), Honeywell International Inc (US), Kowa Company, Ltd (Japan)
This chapter includes a list of acronyms and assumptions that provides a base to the information and statistics included in the market report.
This chapter help readers understand the research methodology followed to obtain various conclusions as well as important qualitative and quantitative information about the market.
How the research was conducted?
- C - Level Executives
- Product Representatives
- Sales Heads
- Portfolio Managers
- Purchasing Managers
- Researchers & Academicians
- Product Development Heads
- Strategy Advisors
- R&D Managers
- Product Providers
- Institute Purchasing Departments
- Academicians / Contract Manufacturing Managers
- Industry Experts
- Current Market Dynamics and Challenges
- Market Characteristics
- Market Performance and Growth Quadrants
- Competition Structure and Market Structure
- Strategic Growth Initiatives
- Product Adoption Rate
- Product Cost
- Regulatory Landscape
- Near-term and Long-term Market Growth Prospects
- Market Segment Splits and Authenticity
- Opinions on Market Projections and Validity of Assumptions
- Industry Magazines
- Industry Associations
- International Medical Mask Consortium
- Asian Synthetic Biology Association
- Industry Publications
- Frontiers Publication
- Hindawi BioMed Research International
- Taylor & Francis
- Company Press Releases
- Annual Reports and Investor Presentations
- Peer-reviewed Journals
- Government Websites and Publications
- Trade Websites
- Country-specific Regulatory Authorities
- World Bank, WHO, IMF, OECD
Primary Interview Splits