Recordable Optical discs Market - Key Research Findings
- The global recordable optical discs market size in 2018 was approximately US$ 3 Bn.
- The recordable optical discs market will be declining at a CAGR of approximately 4% during the period of forecast for 2019-2029.
- Besides increasing demand for archival solutions, content protection has been recently sustaining the sales of recordable optical discs.
- Collectively, North America and East Asia are likely to account for majority of revenue shares in the recordable optical discs market by 2029.
- East Asian recordable optical discs market is estimated to experience the slowest decline among all the regions in the global recordable optical discs market.
- The media industry is expected to remain a prominent application area owing to the investments made by recordable optical discs collector companies in the recordable optical discs market.
- The media and entertainment industry is estimated to sustain the overall market growth.
- Decline in application potential of recordable optical discs has been identified in the global recordable optical discs market.
Key Factors Impacting the Recordable Optical Discs Market
The recordable optical discs market is being sustained by the demand for recordable optical discs archiving solutions that enable users to archive critical data on recordable optical discs archive systems, thus providing a reliable and scalable storage option for the long-term management with sustained growth in future.
The emergence of new technologies, such as cloud storage, Internet of things (IoT), and Video on Demand, apart from easy access, portability, comprehensive flash drive and Hard Disc Drive (HDD), is impacting the growth of the recordable optical discs market.
The availability of recordable optical discs is prolonging the adoption in the low disposable income section of the society for the purpose of recording television broadcasts. However, heavy competition from other media storage devices and cloud-based storage services, along with the increasing penetration of IoT-enabled devices is significantly restricting the growth of the global recordable optical discs market. High cost of raw materials is another factor restricting the production of recordable optical discs on a global scale.
Ultraviolet illumination recordable optical discs provide information storage of over 100 GB of data. As new technologies emerge, which include cloud storage, internet of things, and video on demand, the recordable optical discs market is estimated to experience noteworthy declining trend.
The increasing demand for data security, combined with the growing usage of recordable optical discs by government agencies for the recording and of storing data are among the primary factors sustaining the growth of the global recordable optical discs market.
Recordable optical discs data storage has multiple advantages over magnetic storage, which include long durability, thus, recordable optical discs are not vulnerable to data losses due to power failure. The high capacity of data storage, low cost per GB, and extremely versatile transfer of data from one device to another are among factors prolonging the adoption of recordable optical discs.
The performance of recordable optical discs is rapidly catching up with that of hard drives, as audio library and other data storage application is affecting the growth Recordable optical discs, However, consumers shift towards other advanced technologies for recording and storing data, such as cloud storage, is a key factor restraining the growth of the global recordable optical discs market.
Recordable optical discs are economically feasible and the data stored on these discs is usually unaffected by most environmental threats, such as magnetic disturbances and power surges, which is sustaining the declining recordable optical discs market in global market.
On the other hand, the growing trend of Internet of Things (IoT) is expected to affect the growth of the recordable optical discs market. The development of more efficient high-performance recordable optical discs that provide high data security and ease of portability is creating an opportunity for the sustenance of the global recordable optical discs market.
The media and entertainment sector is expected to rely heavily on the mass storage of recordable optical discs to add to the evolution of holographic data storage technologies on optical discs storing in 3D code, which is also sustaining the growth of the recordable optical discs market.
Recordable Optical Discs Market Structure Analysis
- The global recordable optical discs market represents a fairly consolidated competition landscape, where a majority of key players maintain their strategic focus on the development of solid distribution partnerships and joint ventures, thus targeting a firmer global footprint.
- The recordable optical discs market has been relatively moderate in size, which remains a key factor for its dynamic competitive nature.
- Leading manufacturers of recordable optical discs are currently prioritizing research and development, and new product launches, in order to capitalize on the booming adoption of Blu-ray discs in North America, Europe, and China.
- Portfolio extension is also identified as one of the key developmental strategies adopted by the manufacturers of recordable optical discs.
- For a stronger foothold in target markets, recordable optical discs manufacturers will continue to rely on strategies, such as mergers and acquisitions.
- Deeper understanding of the market trends and preferential shifts of end-use segments across various regions are likely to create a bottleneck for prominent players that are seeking to explore the untapped opportunities in the recordable optical discs market.
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.
Recordable Optical Disc: Has the Favorite Relic Lost its Shine?
The last decade saw a dramatic increase in data size and speed requirements, which, in turn, started marking an early obsolescence for the recordable optical disc formats. Rise of on-demand cloud storage also started to outpower recordable optical disc and its popularity, for the fact that data scalability and agility started winning favor as two vital considerations. However, opportunities are still not lost for the brands selling recordable optical discs, as data security remains a strong selling point for optical disc formats.
Passive Growth on the Cards through 2029
In the early days when data storage was mostly about megabytes and floppy drives were in vogue, recordable optical disc formats started owing their space. Hard drives were flying off the shelves as it eased storage of more data, but portability aroused as a key shortcoming.
CDs and DVDs turned up as two major breakthroughs, which brought high storage and portability into the table. Though the fad is currently facing headwinds, technologies like IOT are creating new grounds for the decent growth of recordable optical disc market.
Recordable Optical Disc: Rise of Non-Physical Media Besetting Adoption
As the transition toward non-physical media gained momentum, the value of physical media distribution systems witnessed a drastic erosion. Smartphones and tablets eventually took over CD and DVD players, given that consumers started enjoying umpteen benefits in terms of storage, accessibility, and usage.
This, in turn, created major setbacks for the adoption of recordable optical disc types, including CD, DVD, and blue-ray disc. With increasing popularity of media outlets, such as Amazon MP3 store and iTunes store, the ‘once ubiquitous’ recordable optical disc formats started getting out of consumer wish lists.
The Broader Perspective
Though sales of recordable optical disc for individual or personal applications are facing tough times, the reliance of professional units on sturdy disks for local data storage continues to be intact. Blu-ray formats still remain a preferred choice across software/IT firms and media industry, as quality and storage capacities of blu-ray discs have remained profound in comparison to other optical disc counterparts.
What does it mean for Market Players?
As recordable optical discs are losing shelves in consumer markets and seeing rapid obsolescence, emerging applications of archival storage are acting as a glimmer of hope to the dwindling scenario. Manufacturers are focusing on R&D activities to introduce advanced features that resonate with ever-evolving data requirements. Key players are also rolling out new holographic disc formats, given that holographic discs offer higher storage capacity over the conventional types.
By Product Type
- Blu-ray Disc
By Sales Channel
- Direct Sales
By End Use
- Media Industry
- Public department
- Other commercials
- Below 5GB
- 5-10 GB
- Above 10 GB
- North America
- Latin America
- South Asia
- East Asia
- Middle East and Africa