Small Bore Connectors Landscape - The Rise of New Standard Products
New design and performance standards for medical device connectors are being developed to mitigate the risks of tubing misconnections and improve patient safety. The global standards organisations are putting efforts to make great advances in eliminating potential risks and introducing new standard small bore connectors. Some of the crucial aspects, including stress cracking, fluid leakage, resistance to overriding, and others, are being actively checked by manufacturers before commercializing their offerings, given that these requirements would confirm on product readiness for and compatibility with diverse applications. With the rapid shift of healthcare spaces toward ‘value-driven’ models, manufacturers of small bore connectors will spectate multi-fold increase in demand in 2019 and beyond.
Small Bore Connectors Market - Key Research Finding
- The global small bore connectors market size in 2018 was ~US$ 450 Mn.
- The small bore connectors market is expected to grow at a CAGR of ~4% during the forecast period of 2019-2029.
- The Federal Drug Administration (FDA) continues its collaboration with standards organisations, federal partners, professional societies, patient advocacy groups, individual patients and other stakeholders on an important patient safety issue—reducing the chance of medical device misconnections which further drive the sales of small bore connectors.
- Collectively, Europe and North America are likely to account for three fourth of the revenue shares in small bore connectors, by the end of 2029.
- North America, attributing to the strong presence of major players operating in the market, will continue to be a prominent regional market for small bore connectors manufacturers.
- The liquid bore connector is expected to remain the prominent product type to invest in, for small bore connectors market players.
- The liquid bore connector has witnessed significant growth over the recent past, owing to growing number of use of liquid connectors for intravascular connections and enteral connections
- The small bore connectors market is majorly driven by the growing standards set up by the International Organization for Standardization and FDA to reduce the risk of misconnections. This is expected to boost the overall revenue of the small bore connectors market.
- Increasing awareness among healthcare workers and patients in underdeveloped and developing economies is a major factor responsible for the growing demand for small bore connectors in the recent years. The high potential for manufacturers to enter emerging markets through the acquisition of local players to expand their product reach and regional presence is another factor that is likely to boost the small bore connectors market.
Top Factors Shaping the Small Bore Connectors Market
Changing Standards for Small Bore Connectors
Owing to the rising interest in patient safety and risk mitigations, the FDA, the international standards community, and the medical device industry are taking actions to reduce the likelihood of tubing misconnections. Global collaborations are focused on the development of standards for mating halves of clinical therapeutic system connect. The International Organization for Standardization has been at the centre of these changes. In the new regulations published in 2010, ISO 80369 outlined the general requirements for small bore connectors for liquids and gases in healthcare applications that include design, material, selection, and testing methods. Changes in regulations for reducing the risk associated with the misconnections of tubes in critical patients are expected to significantly boost the small bore connectors market in the near future.
Increase in Number of Surgeries
Surgical care is essential to manage diverse health conditions, such as injuries, malignancy, infections and cardiovascular diseases. In low- and middle-income countries, communicable diseases and injuries comprise a growing proportion of the disease burden, which will further drive the demand for small bore connectors
Increase in the number of surgical procedures will have a direct impact on the sale of small bore connectors. According to a WHO study, in 2010, around 321.5 million surgical procedures were used to address the burden of different diseases for a global population of 6.9 billion
- The number of surgical procedures vary across regions, ranging from 3,383 operations per 100,000 in Central Latin America to 6,495 operations per 100,000 in Western Sub-Saharan Africa
- The global surgical need also varies based on the sub-categories of diseases, ranging from 131,412 procedures for nutritional deficiencies to 45.8 million procedures for unintentional injuries
Growing Focus on Improving Medical Equipment
Medical devices are serving a crucial role in the clinical practice and in improving patient health and quality of life. The increasing sophistication of medical devices and equipment has resulted in regulatory challenges. Manufacturers are focusing on therapeutic areas and the development of new and innovative medical equipment with increased safety and reduced risk of infection during the time of hospital admission. The development of disposable products and growing concerns regarding the delivery of better healthcare outcomes is another factor driving the growth of healthcare sectors. Investments on the development of new equipment by manufacturers, which are approved by regulatory bodies, are expected to help reduce the disease burden globally. Rising focus on the reduction of infection related to hospital admission with the use of new and highly sterilised equipment is also expected to reduce the global healthcare burden in the coming years.
Small Bore Connectors Market Structure Analysis
- The global small bore connectors market is a moderately consolidated market owing to the presence of major players
- Some of the prominent companies in the Small Bore Connectors market include Baxter International Inc., B. Braun Melsungen AG, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Smiths Medical - Smiths Group Company, ICU Medical, Inc., Merck KGaA, Merit Medical Systems, Inc., Nordson Corporation, Elcam Medical, and CardioMed Supplies Inc. (Nipro Corporation)
- Most of the key players are emphasising on developing new connectors that follows the ISO standards
- Various programs are being organised to improve patient safety by reducing the risk of medical device tubing misconnections
- ISO, AAMI, and an international joint group are making advances towards reducing the potential for tubing misconnections and increasing patient safety, which is a major focus of the small bore connector initiative
Leveraging Innovative Technology to Mitigate Wrong Route Errors
The standards community, in collaboration with the medical device industry, is taking actions toward the development of standardised, application-specific connector designs. New and safer small bore connectors are being introduced to ebb risks of wrong route errors during oral/enteral and neuraxial administration of medication. Adoption of international standards for small-bore connectors continues being a cynosure, which, in turn, will ensure consistency and compatibility, while fending off the probability of misconnections.
Players to See Measurable Returns from Developed Markets
The lucrativeness of the US and Europe for small bore connector manufacturers remains intact, governed by the actions of companies and government, in terms of regulation and competitive pricing. These two regions collectively account for ~50% sales of small bore connectors, presenting measurable returns for the market stakeholders. Developing economies remain fairly benign for small bore connector manufacturers to abate the struggle of increasing aging demographic and rising chronic disease prevalence.
* This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in report.
The Broader Perspective
Manufacturers of small bore connectors are resorting to new materials, which ward off the instances of rough use that is regularly experience by medical devices and equipment. As the materials used in small bore connectors continue to evolve, it is highly likely that new products developed will offer fatigue-deprived performance under pressure. Flow rates, clinical requirements, air pressures, and several other performance characteristics will remain some of the key particulars to guide manufacturers in crafting effective small bore connector formats.
Liquid bore connectors account for ~60% share
Adoption of gas bore connectors low
Enteral administration remains preferred
Intravascular administration growing
Hospitals account for 50% of revenues
Promising growth potential spotted in ambulatory surgical centers
Significant adoption to be witnessed in home care settings
How Growth will Unfold
Improving medical infrastructure worldwide alludes significant investments by hospitals and other settings. Hospitals continue to lead the way in adoption of small bore connectors, however sales will grow relatively faster in ambulatory surgical centres and home care settings. Before supplying small bore connectors for hospitals, ambulatory surgical centres, home care settings, manufacturers will continue to zoom in their focus into testing methods in a bid to fix design issues and make the connectors ‘market-ready’ for use in various applications.
* This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in report.Click Here To Know How The Growth Will Unfold
Custom Market Research Services
FMI offers custom market research services that help clients to get information on their business scenario required where syndicated solutions are not enough.
Small Bore Connectors Market: The Era of Standardised, Application-Specific Design
A recent market study published by FMI offers a comprehensive assessment of the most important market dynamics. After conducting thorough research on the historic as well as current growth parameters of the Small Bore Connectors market, the growth prospects of the market are obtained with maximum precision.
Small Bore Connectors Market Taxonomy
The global Small Bore Connectors market is segmented in detail to cover every aspect of the market and present a complete market intelligence approach in front of the reader.
- Liquid Bore Connectors
- Gas Bore Connectors
- Limb cuff inflation
- Neuraxial Anesthesia
- Intravascular (Luer)
By End User
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Home Care Settings
- Others (Nursing Home, Dialysis Centers)
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia
- Middle East & Africa
The report commences with the executive summary of the Small Bore Connectors market, which includes a summary of the key findings and key statistics of the market. It also includes the market value (US$ million) estimates of the leading segments of the Small Bore Connectors market.
Readers can find the detailed taxonomy and the definition of the Small Bore Connectors market in this chapter, which will help them understand the basic information about the Small Bore Connectors market. This section also highlights the inclusions and exclusions, which helps the reader understand the scope of the Small Bore Connectors market report.
This section includes the key inclusions of the report. It includes Key regulation, ISO standards, and key factor impacting the market assessment & opportunity analysis, and manufactures strategies for market expansion.
This section explain the global market value analysis and forecast for the Small Bore Connectors market between the forecast periods of 2014-2029 is highlights in this section. This chapter includes the detailed analysis of the historical Small Bore Connectors market, along with an opportunity analysis of the future. Readers can also find the absolute opportunity for the current year (2019 – 2020), and an incremental opportunity for the forecast period (2019 – 2029).
This section highlights the average price of light boxes, dawn stimulator, desk lamp, & sun visors in the different region throughout the globe. The pricing benchmark for manufacturer level pricing and distributor level pricing is analysed in this section.
This section explain the global market volume analysis and forecast for the Small Bore Connectors market between the forecast periods of 2019-2029 is highlights in this section.
This chapter explains the key macro-economic factors that are expected to influence the growth of the Small Bore Connectors market over the forecast period. Along with macroeconomic factors, this section also highlights the opportunity analysis for the Small Bore Connectors market. This chapter also highlights the key market dynamics of the Small Bore Connectors market, which include the drivers, restraints and trends. Moreover, readers will understand the key trends followed by the leading manufacturers in the Small Bore Connectors market.
Based on product type, the Small Bore Connectors market is segmented into Liquid Bore Connectors and Gas Bore Connectors. In this chapter, readers can find information about the key trends and developments in the Small Bore Connectors market and market attractiveness analysis based on the product type.
This chapter provides details about the Small Bore Connectors market on the basis of application, and has been classified into respiratory, enteral, urology, limb cuff inflation, neuraxial anesthesia and intravascular (luer). In this chapter, readers can understand the market attractive analysis based on application type.
This chapter provides details about the Small Bore Connectors market on the basis of end user, and has been classified into hospitals, clinics, ambulatory surgical centers, home care settings and others. In this chapter, readers can understand the market attractive analysis based on end user.
This chapter explains how the Small Bore Connectors market will grow across various geographic regions, such as North America, Latin America, Europe, East Asia, South Asia, Oceania, the Middle East & Africa (MEA)
This chapter includes a detailed analysis of the growth of the North America Small Bore Connectors market, along with a country-wise assessment that includes the U.S. and Canada. Readers can also find the regional trends, regulations, and market growth based on the end users and countries in North America.
Readers can find detailed information about several factors, such as the pricing analysis and the regional trends, which are impacting the growth of the Latin America Small Bore Connectors market. This chapter also includes the growth prospects of the Small Bore Connectors market in the leading LATAM countries such as Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and the Rest of Latin America.
Important growth prospects of the Small Bore Connectors market based on its end users in several countries, such as Germany, the UK, France, Spain, Italy, Russia, BENELUX and the Rest of Europe, are included in this chapter.
India, Indonesia, Thailand , Malaysia are the leading countries in the South Asia region that are the prime subjects of assessment to obtain the growth prospects of the South Asia Small Bore Connectors market in this chapter. Readers can find detailed information about the growth parameters of the South Asia Small Bore Connectors market during the period 2019-2029.
This chapter highlights the growth of the Small Bore Connectors market in the East Asia by focusing on China, Japan and South Korea. This section also helps readers understand the key factors that are responsible for the growth of the Small Bore Connectors market in East Asia.
In this chapter, Australia and New Zealand are among the leading countries in the Oceania region, which are the prime subjects of assessment to obtain the growth prospects of the Oceania Small Bore Connectors market.
This chapter provides information about how the Small Bore Connectors market will grow in the major countries in the MEA region, such as GCC Countries, South Africa, Turkey, Northern Africa and the rest of MEA, during the forecast period 2019 - 2029.
This section highlights the growth prospects of the elastomeric coatings market for emerging markets such as China, India, and Brazil.
In this chapter, readers can find a comprehensive list of all the leading stakeholders in the Small Bore Connectors market, along with detailed information about each company, which includes the company overview, revenue shares, strategic overview, and recent company developments. Some of the market players featured in the report are Baxter International Inc., B. Braun Melsungen AG, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Smiths Medical - Smiths Group Company, ICU Medical, Inc., Merck KGaA, Merit Medical Systems, Inc., Nordson Corporation, Elcam Medical, CardioMed Supplies Inc. (Nipro Corporation) among others.
This chapter includes a list of acronyms and assumptions that provide a base to the information and statistics included in the Small Bore Connectors report.
This chapter helps readers understand the research methodology followed to obtain the various conclusions as well as important qualitative and quantitative information about the Small Bore Connectors market.
How the research was conducted?
- Industry Magazines
- Associations for the advancement of medical instrumentation
- global enteral device supplier association
- Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation
- Company Press Releases
- Annual Reports and Investor Presentations
- Peer-reviewed Journals
- Government Websites and Publications
- Trade Websites
- Clinical Trial Registries
- Country-specific Regulatory Authorities
- World Bank, WHO, IMF, OECD
Primary Interview Splits
Small Bore Connectors Market Reports - Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
3. Key Market Trends
5. Global Small-Bore Connectors Market - Pricing Analysis
22. Assumptions and Acronyms Used
23. Research Methodology