Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Treatment Market – Key Research Findings
- Urinary tract infection treatment market size valuated in 2018 was ~US$ 10 Bn.
- The UTI treatment market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of ~2% over 2019-2029.
- Europe is expected to remain the leading regional market for urinary tract infection treatment.
- Leading companies operating in the UTI treatment market are focusing on expanding production facilities and establishing long-term distribution contracts with major local distribution companies, to stay competitive among their peers in the urinary tract infection market.
- Quinolones, in terms of drug class, are projected to lead the way in urinary tract infection treatment market over the forecast period.
Top 3 Factors Shaping the Urinary Tract Infection Treatment Market
Increasing UTI Prevalence to Drive the Urinary Tract Infection Treatment Market
Urinary tract infection is more common in women compared to men due to their anatomy. Several women experience urinary tract infection more than once in their lifetime. According to certain studies, urinary tract infection affects approximately 150 million people globally. In addition, approximately 11% women visit one physician in a year for urinary tract infection treatment.
Hormonal changes, improper personal hygiene, use of catheters, and other factors are some of the main causes of urinary tract infection. With an increase in the prevalence of urinary tract infection, the urinary tract infection treatment market is expected to witness significant growth in the coming years.
Rising Demand for Antibiotics to Contribute to the Demand for Urinary Tract Infection Treatment
Antibiotics are the only treatment options available for urinary tract infection. According to the severity of the infection, a wide range of antibiotics are prescribed. For instance, for uncomplicated urinary tract infection treatment, fluoroquinolones, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, and aminoglycosides are prescribed as initial treatment.
Similarly, for complicated urinary tract infection treatment cases, fluoroquinolones such as ciprofloxacin or ofloxacin are prescribed in case of less severe infection. Apart from these, loss of patent rights of branded drugs and the availability of cost-effective antibiotics from generic companies are among factors that are likely to spur the growth of the urinary tract infection treatment market.
Rising Use of Urinary Catheters and Other Drainage Devices Likely to Offer an Uptick to Urinary Tract Infection Treatment Market Growth
The rising incidence of chronic kidney diseases, such as bladder cancer and renal failure, has led to the increase usage of catheters and other drainage devices in patients. Patients using urinary catheters are more likely to acquire complicated UTI. According to World Health Organization (WHO), the risk of bacteriuria is approximately 5% per day for patients using urinary catheters and 40% suffer from nosocomial infections.
Certain factors, such as prolonged duration of catheterisation, not receiving system therapy of antibiotics, bacterial colonisation in drainage bags, rapid fata underlying diseases, and others, are likely to result in catheter-associated urinary tract infection. Hence, increase in the usage of urinary catheters will foster the growth of the urinary tract infection treatment market.
Urinary Tract Infection Treatment Market Structure Analysis
- Key comapnies spearheading the comeptition landscape of the global UTI treatment market, such as Bayer AG, are focused on stregthening their R&D activties for the development of novel drug molecules.
- FMI analyses that a majority of leading players, for instance Allergan Plc, in urinary tract infection treatment market are also prioritizing strategic collaborations and acquisitions to achieve broader availability on market and tap the unmet needs of patients.
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.
Urinary Tract Infection Treatment: Antibiotics for the Management of Urinary Tract Infection
The Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) treatment market is anticipated to witness growth since antibiotics are the only treatment for the management of the same. Loss of patent rights by branded drugs and the emergence of branded generics and generic drugs are among factors that are likely to boost the urinary tract infection treatment market.
Market Set to Grow by 1.2X between 2019 and 2029
The urinary tract infection treatment market is expected to register considerable growth owing to the rising prevalence of urinary tract infections and increase in the number of hospital visits for urinary tract infection testing as well as treatment. Moreover, the high demand for antibiotics in urinary tract infection treatment and growth in the number of generic players is likely to propel the growth of the urinary tract infection treatment market.
Emerging Countries Foster New Growth Opportunities for the Urinary Tract Infection Treatment Market
Europe holds a prominent revenue share among other regions in the global urinary tract infection treatment market in 2019. However, developing countries, such as China, India, and South Korea, have witnessed growth in the urinary tract infection treatment market due to increasing awareness about urinary tract infection treatment and rising government initiatives for healthcare spending.
The Broader Perspective
Various manufacturers are engaged in strategic acquisitions and collaborations with different companies and distribution channels to increase the sales of their products and enhance their business operations.
How Growth will Unfold
The prevalence of UTI is increasing at an alarming rate. Improper use of disposable hygiene products for personal use, administration of catheters in urethra, sexual activity, menopause, and certain other factors are anticipated to boost the urinary tract infection treatment market. The growing demand for antibiotics and the low cost of generic drugs is also expected to spur the growth of the urinary tract infection treatment market.
UTI (URINARY TRACT INFECTION) TREATMENT MARKET TAXONOMY
The global urinary tract infection treatment market is segmented in detail to cover every aspect of the market and present a complete market intelligence approach to the reader.
By Drug Class
- Penicillin & Combinations
- Aminoglycoside Antibiotics
- Sulphonamides (Sulfamethoxazole, Trimethoprim)
- Azoles and Amphotericin B
- Tetracycline (Doxycycline)
- Nitrofurans (Nitrofurantoin)
- Complicated Urinary Tract Infection
- Uncomplicated Urinary Tract Infection
By Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Gynecology and Urology Clinics
- Drug Stores
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Drug Stores
- North America
- Latin America
- South Asia
- East Asia
- Middle East & Africa