Hydroxypropyl Distarch Phosphate Market - Key Research Findings
- The global hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate market size in 2019 is estimated to reach ~US$ 390 Mn.
- The hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate market is expected to grow at a CAGR of ~6% during the forecast period of 2019-2029.
- Modified properties of hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate are preferred in food applications, which is anticipated to boost the demand for hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate during the forecast period.
- Owing to the increasing demand from the large population based in East Asia, the region is likely to account for ~28% of the revenue share in the hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate industry by the end of 2029.
- Collectively, East Asia and South Asia, have significant growth in the food industry and the high demand for food additives and food processing products. East Asia will continue to be a prominent regional market for hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate manufacturers.
- Increasing population and changing eating habits of people is propelling the demand for processed food, which in turn, is creating opportunities for the hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate market.
- Large population and increasing spending power of the population is driving the processed food market in Asian countries and other emerging countries. High GDP growth of India and China has been witnessed in the last few years and is expected to continue during the forecast period.
- These high growth economies are creating opportunities for the food industry to grow at a good pace. Increasing food consumption will ultimately reflect in the growing demand for food additives.
- Hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate is consumed in processed food in significant quantity. Therefore, high growth in the processed food industry is expected to boost the demand for hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate.
Key Factors Shaping the Hydroxypropyl Distarch Phosphate Market
Improved Properties of Hydroxypropyl Distarch Phosphate over Native Starches
Hydroxyporopyl distarch phosphate is a kind of a modified starch. Modified starches are physically, thermally, and chemically treated to improve the properties of native starch. Hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate is a resistance starch that has heat resistant properties and long shelf life. Increasing preference for improved and modified starches is expected to drive demand for hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate.
Following improved properties are favored in end-use applications of hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate.
- Heat resistance
- Shelf life
- Thickening and texturing in cold water
- Good gel strength
- Creamy texture
- Process tolerance
Growing Demand from End Users in Cosmetics, Pharmaceutical, and Food & Beverages Industry
Increasing demand for hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate has been observed in industrial applications such as cosmetics, pharmaceutical, and food & beverages industries. Hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate is mostly used as a thickener, emulsifier, and stabilizer in these industries. Hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate act as a gelling agent, emulsifier, stabilizer, and as a thickening agent.
It is also used as a deflocculating agent and film & filament forming agent in end-use applications. Owing to the rapid changes in the economic growth and increasing industrialization, the demand for improved additives (hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate) is being witnessed in the recent years.
This is expected to drive the global hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate market in the near future. Increasing demand for cosmetic creams and other cosmetic products that consumes hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate is expected to boost the market growth.
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.
Increasing Number of Agreements and Contracts to Ensure Long-term Supply
The hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate market has several contracts and agreements. Key players in the market are focusing on securing their customer base by signing long-term supply contracts and agreements. Prominent players in the market are also investing in R&D to find more applications for hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate and is expected to sustain the growth of the hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate market during the forecast period.
Research is underway to invent new technologies for processing and modification of starch. Efforts are being made by manufacturers to improve the properties of hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate-based thickeners, stabilizers, emulsifiers, and anticaking agents.
Increasing Demand for Natural and Improved Food Additives from the Processed Food Industry
Increasing demand for processed food from developed and developing economies is increasing pressure on the food processing industry to use effective and efficient food additives. Modified starches are gaining more importance in the food processing industry for their improved properties and better performance as thickener, stabilizer, and emulsifier.
Modified starches especially hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate is naturally derived and chemically modified substance. Therefore, increasing demand for natural materials in the food processing industry is expected to drive the global hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate market during the forecast period.
Hydroxypropyl Distarch Phosphate Market Structure Analysis
- The global hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate market represents a fragmented competition landscape, where a majority of key players maintain their strategic focus on the expansion of their business through new product developments, agreements, collaborations, joint venture activities.
- The hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate market has been comparatively small in size, which remains a key factor for its dynamic competitive nature.
- Prominent manufacturers of hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate are currently prioritizing the development of products by adoption of new technologies and new product launches to resonate with the booming consumption of hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate consumption in Asia.
- Portfolio extension is also identified to remain as one of the key developmental strategies adopted by manufacturers of hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate.
- For a stronger foothold in target markets, hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate manufacturers will continue to rely on organic strategies, such as expansions and new product launches.
- Profound understanding of the market trends and preferential shifts of end-use segments across several regions are likely to create a bottleneck for prominent players, looking forward to untapped opportunities in the hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate market.
Curbing Obesity sans Side Effects
Hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate (HDP) plays an essential role in enhancing the physical aspects of consumables, on account of better resistance against acid and starch degrading enzymes – in vitro and in vivo – and against native starch. HDP – a chemically modified resistant starch – does not release glucose through the small intestine, aiding into lower glucose and insulin to the response of the consumable. As such, hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate helps in countering the generation of new fat cells, ensuring balanced appetite in the body.
Hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate, coupled with swift gastric emptying, catalyzes glycogen renewal and improved endurance without the undesirable aftereffects of the fast carbs. HDP exhibits low glycemic index (GI), implying it will not lead to overweight issues, unlike dextrose, maltodextrin and fructose. In addition, hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate ensures fat-burning by triggering thermogenesis alike proteins.
Flours used in bakery products are mixed with hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate for preparation of bread loaf of bigger volume, based on higher peak viscosity and larger breakdown. HDP, modified with optimum cross-linking, is a great substitute for wheat flour to enhance rheological properties of dough. Further, inclusion of hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate in food and beverages conduces to decreased blood triglyceride content, and cholesterol which otherwise results in heart attack, strokes, and peripheral artery disease.
Complementing Personal Care & Hygiene
Hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate is becoming prevalent as a cosmetic ingredient owing to surfactant, and emulsifying properties. HDP stabilizes emulsions at any temperatures, simplifying the emulsion process. Cosmetic firms are including HDP in beauty products following immediate viscosity, reduced greasiness, and enhanced aesthetics.
Hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate are gaining increasing momentum in pharmaceuticals for immediate release tablet formulations whereby the drug must be present within a brief time span to the absorptive area. For improved patience convenience, HDP ensures sustainable release of drugs. In addition, medical professionals are utilizing hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate as plasma volume expander beneficial for patients suffering from trauma, heavy blood loss, and cancer.
However, it is pertinent to note that, hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate enable fast fermentation by the intestinal bacteria upon its intake, making it unsuitable for individuals sensitive to active fermentation of oligosaccharides.
South Asia and East Asia – Increasing Calorie Intake Bolsters Adoption
Sweeping rate of fast food consumption in developed and developing economies, including China, Japan, and Thailand, is set to underpin the progress of hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate market. The per capita calories consumption in East Asia is estimated to reach about 3200 kcal while slightly below 3000 kcal in South Asia by the next decade.
Japan has secured its place among the top five markets for baked goods, and ranks 2nd in the APAC, citing rising demand for bakery consumables. Considering the elimination of gluten from a majority of Thai cuisines due to its slow breakdown, manufacturers are focusing on increasing the applicability of their products. Significant growth of the cosmetic industry in India is further likely to open new avenues of the market growth.
Product Penetration into Diverse Industries and Untapped Regions – Key Factors to Define Stakeholders’ Tactics
The global hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate market is characterized by high fragmentation with market leaders, followers, and sluggards, including Tate & Lyle, Cargill Foods, and Sinofi, among others, in neck-and-neck with each other.
Market players are positioning their focus on increasing the production of hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate, in a bid to carve spaces apart from their native industry. For instance, Cargill Inc. offers products in multiple business segments – food, nutrition, and industrial products and services. Green Stone Swiss Co. Ltd. is expanding portfolio across diverse segments, including pharmaceutical ingredients, herbal extracts, and others.
Organized and emerging market participants are tapping white spaces in Middle East and South-East Asia, in the view of surging demand for halal grade consumables among the regional demographic.
How Growth Will Unfold
The global hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate market is estimated to spectate healthy growth over the forecast timeframe despite high compliance costs. The growth is primarily driven by increasing consumption of food & beverages, and dairy products, in countries across the globe. Intensifying inclination towards nutritious diet among health-conscious, and athletic individuals is set to fuel the demand for hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate.
Almost 60% of European populace devour processed meal, with females consuming greater amount of functional beverages. Flavored drinks are expected to propel at an impressive rate of above 7%. Organic milk in Oceanic countries, including Australia and New Zealand is receiving wide acceptance among the masses. Increasing wellness trends across Latin American countries such as, Brazil, has boosted per capita consumption of flavored and functional water.
Further, the global requirement for food is expected to reach about 98% over the next three decades. The result is likely to lead to increased demand for hydroxypropyl distartch phosphate market in the years ahead.
By Product Grade
- Anticaking Agent
By End Use
- North America
- Latin America
- South Asia
- East Asia
- Middle East and Africa