This Functional Beverages market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Functional Beverages market.
Advances in nutrition, microbiology, food engineering, and biochemistry are enabling manufacturers to formulate innovative nutritious beverages. As a result of which, functional beverages are increasingly becoming an essential part of diet, especially among health-conscious consumers. Consumers are strictly following various diets including, vegan, and keto. Their inclination towards maintaining good health despite living a hectic lifestyle is making ready-to-drink (RTD) beverages a popular choice. The global functional beverages market will exhibit an impressive CAGR over the coming years.
Going forward, millennial consumers are showing great preference for convenience food and beverages that promise umpteen nutrition profile. Moreover, the trend of gyms and fitness training is flourishing - from accessories, and diets, to training services. Manufacturers are leveraging these trends by innovating their product offerings, for instance, vegan and plant-based beverages. Moreover, nootropic drinks are also gaining prominence among the health-conscious consumers. Such innovations will transform the global functional beverage market in the near future.
Avoiding Lawsuits - Key to Long-term Success
Functional beverages are carefully crafted, RTD products distributed in varied flavors. Many manufacturers use packaging and labelling for advertising ingredients and nutritional value by marketing their products as healthy, vegan, or plant-based. However, governments are taking legal actions against the miss-representation of the nutritional value of functional food and beverages. For instance, drinks containing cannabinoids cannot be marketed as medicinal products. Lenny & Larry’s nutritious cookies have been subjected to such lawsuits, wherein the protein value of the product was wrongly represented.
Functional beverage manufacturers, as such, are striving to avoid such lawsuits as well as, enhancing their product transparency. Leading manufacturers are employing dedicated teams to strategize law-abiding marketing plans that ensure proper representation of functional beverage products. Further regulatory approvals for unique ingredients, packaging & labelling laws issued by statutory authorities such as the US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) are working in favor of functional beverages market.
Manufacturers to Focus on M&As to Sustain Competition from New Entrants
In the recent past, the function food & beverage market has seen many new entrants. The proliferation of niche brands backed by intensive digital marketing is successfully paving way for new product categories, thus stiffening the market competition. Initiatives such as the Amazon Accelerator Program and Springboard from Kraft Heinz and General Mills’ 301 INC scout new and upcoming retail brands and guide businesses towards a positive trajectory. As a response to the situation, major players are acquiring such start-ups and small enterprises through such initiatives. Kraft Heinz’ acquisition of Primal Kitchen, is a result of diligent scouting by Springboard, the giants’ incubation initiative. Further, PepsiCo also acquired Health Warrior, a US-based nutrition-centered company
Functional Beverages Market: Region Wise Analysis
North America continues to lead the pack in the global functional beverages market. Growing awareness of nutrition-focused diets, especially among millennial, is significantly contributing to regional market growth. Consumers in the US and Canada are strictly following health-conscious diets, which include functional beverages. Moreover, prevalence of e-Commerce platforms in the APAC is attracting huge stakeholders’ attention. Booming digitization, coupled with the convenience of e-Commerce platforms in developing countries such as India is offering a conducive ground for functional beverage manufacturers.
Functional Beverages Market: Competitive Landscape
The functional beverages market is highly fragmented with the presence of many small- and medium-sized enterprises (SME). Players are striving to gain competitive edge by developing functional beverages with varied nutritional value. Hence, significant players in the market are investing heavily in R&D, and mergers & acquisitions (M&A). Companies that understand consumers’ preference in different regions will fare well in marketplace. For instance, “energy shots”, small quantities of nutritious drinks are prevalent in Japan, whereas, in India and China, large value packs attract more customers. As such, product innovation, and evolving consumer patterns will influence the growth strategies of market players.
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Italy, Spain)
- Easter Europe (Poland, Russia)
- Asia Pacific (India, China, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia)
- The Middle East & North Africa (GCC Countries, Turkey, North Africa countries)
- Rest of the World (Rest of the world including Latin America, South Africa, and Oceania)
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides an in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Functional Beverages Market Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
Global Functional Beverages Market Segment Analysis
The global functional beverages market can be segmented on the following basis:
- Energy drinks
- Sports drinks
- Nutraceutical drinks
- Dairy-based beverages
- Enhanced Water
By Distribution Channel
- Health Stores
- Online Stores
- Departmental Stores
- Amino acids
- Super-fruit extracts
- Botanical Flavors
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose FMI?
- With a global presence and a trusted partner to several Fortune 500 firms, FMI covers 1 billion+ data points to build a diversified portfolio for market benchmarking
- Market Reports researched and peer reviewed by industry experts from across the globe
- We follow a multi-dimensional method of analysis monitoring a three-layer data validation process
- In addition to demand-side market assessment, our data triangulation methodology involves supply-side research
- Primary research includes mandatory field interviews with stakeholders involved
- Customizing reports according to client specification is also our forte
What will you discover from Functional Beverages Market report?
- The current and future market size, covering each aspect and nuanced trends across key national and geographic markets
- An overview of the market report, providing an imperative visual of the varied market subdivisions and overall forecast statistics in terms of value and volume
- Extensive database and key dynamics elevating the market with varied verticals associated
- Underlying Functional Beverages Market forces that are compelling consumers or businesses to purchase the product
- How novel technologies and consumer-centric innovations will create new value-adding opportunities for companies active in the Functional Beverages Market
- What will be environment and regulatory impacts on the market over the next decade
Which framework has been used to develop the Functional Beverages Market report?
- Investment Feasibility Matrix - It shows returns on investment, level of competition, success rate of investment, and potential risks associated with the market. The analysis shows that the competition is high in the established market, while the returns for short-term investment are also taken into consideration
- Relative Maturity Mapping – The relative maturity is measured according to three growth phases (growth, maturity, decline)
- Relative PLC (Product Life Cycle) – Analysis of the emergence of prominent players and competitive test prices which are driving factors behind every market. (expected market behavior, observed market behavior, expected market performance, observed market performance)