Antiviral Polymers for Packaging Market
Market Insights on Antiviral Polymers for Packaging covering sales outlook, demand forecast & up-to-date key trends
Antiviral Polymers for Packaging Market by Product Type, End-Use & Region | Forecast 2023 to 2033
Antiviral Polymers for Packaging Market Snapshot 2023 to 2033
The global Antiviral Polymers for Packaging market is anticipated to accumulate a market value of US$ 11.5 billion in 2023 and is expected to garner a valuation of US$ 20.2 billion by exhibiting a CAGR of 5.8 % in the forecast period 2023 to 2033. The market for Antiviral Polymers for Packaging market reflected growth with 4 % CAGR in the historical period 2018 to 2022.
- The rising demand for packaged food, due to increasing disposable income of people worldwide is boosting the product demand in the antiviral polymers for packaging market.
- In addition, packaged food has always been a major health concern, and for the same reason, government agencies across the world established many regulations.
- Food processing industries invest profoundly in the development of healthier packaging methods to cater to these statutory requirements. This, in turn, increases the demand for antiviral packaging.
The healthcare industry is one of the major end-users of antiviral packaging. Moreover, consumers are becoming more inclined toward hygiene and packaging of other food related products, grooming solutions, and medicines. This helps in fuelling the sales of the product.
On the other hand, the healthcare industry has witnessed substantial growth in recent years, thereby fuelling the demand for antimicrobial polymer packaging solutions. Such instances are expected to support the growth of the market studied.
Apart from this, multiple factors like volatility of oil prices, the globally rising interest in renewable resources, increasing concerns regarding the greenhouse gas emissions, and the current stress on waste management have shaped an increasing interest in biopolymers and bioplastics. This is assisting the market to grow.
With the advanced biopolymer processing technologies, vendors in the market are enabled with better control of macromolecular structures that have allowed new generations of commodity polymers that challenge the expensive specialty polymers.
- The development of new materials, especially the innovative biopolymer formulations, is helping in addressing several requirements with other packaging functions like food preservation and protection towards consumers.
- Also, the use of biocomposites for active food packaging is one of the most-studied approaches in the past few years for materials in contact with food.
- The applications of these innovative biocomposites are helping to provide new food packaging materials that have enhanced mechanical, barrier, antioxidant, and antimicrobial properties.
- The growing concerns on food wastage are preventing the complete replacement of plastics as they are currently the best solution to increase the shelf life of products.
- According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), 1.3 billion tons of food worldwide is wasted yearly. This has led to various innovations where biopolymer plastics are being developed to improve shelf life without compromising on sustainability concerns.
Also, the immediate impact on the consumer’s concerns about the viral exposure of the Corona Virus and the questions around the virus’ ability to survive on surfaces are anticipated to create a much long-lasting demand for new packaging and materials that exhibit antiviral and antibacterial properties.
Region-wise, the Asia-Pacific region is one largest consumer and producer of biopolymers globally. This region is expected to witness fastest CAGR of 5.5% during the forecast period. The growing concerns regarding food wastage, due to expiry of the products, has encouraged the companies in the region to opt for innovative food packaging solutions.
With Chinese consumers inclined toward products such as fish, meat, and vegetables, which are mainly retort-packed to keep them shelf-stable, the readymade meals have gained popularity among the consumers this region. The rising trend of online purchasing has further buoyed them.
Likewise, North America is expected to dominate the market of antiviral packaging polymers by accumulating 37% during the forecast period. The product demand in this region is driven by an improving economic outlook and increasing innovation on barrier materials.
- Also, the strong presence of major companies, such as Amcor and Bemis, is further anticipated to augment market growth in the projected period.
Expected Market Value in 2023
US$ 11.5 billion
Projected Market Value in 2033
US$ 20.2 billion
Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)
5.8 % CAGR
How Competitive is the Market?
Recent developments and breakthroughs in technology, mergers, acquisitions, tie-ups, and partnerships within the companies involved in manufacturing antiviral polymers for packaging solutions are expected to create lucrative opportunities for market growth during the forecast period.
- In June 2019: Amcor launched AmLite Ultra Recyclable, its first packaging product made from the company's revolutionary, more sustainable high-barrier polyolefin film, which the company showcased last year. The new high-barrier laminate can pack a range of food, home, and personal care, and pharmaceutical products, and can be recycled in existing polyolefin recycling streams.
- In November 2021, ‘COEXPAN’ has launched various food packaging solutions, including the mono material antimicrobial tray ‘COEXSHIELD’. Compared to regular MAP systems, these trays are equipped with newly developed antibacterial properties. These combine attractive product presentation with smart and active features to reduce food wastage and enhance shelf life and sustainability through optimized recyclability with a choice of PP or mono-PET options.
A major concern in food & beverage industries is food waste and the spoilage caused by food-borne pathogens and micro-organisms. It is expected that customer demand for fresh products will fuel innovation as manufacturers are working to increase the shelf life of packaged foods and beverages.
Antiviral polymers for packaging are produced using materials such as silver nanoparticles (AgNP). AgNPs also possess anti-viral, anti-fungi, and anti-yeast properties. Such nanoparticles will most notably be combined with edible and non-polymers. This factor can propel their use in active packaging of food.
Antiviral Polymers for Packaging Market: Dynamics
As per WHO, nearly 600 million diseases are caused annually by food-borne threats, primarily due to infectious agents causing diarrheal diseases (550 million), with HuNoVs responsible for 120 million cases related to water and food. Although the incidence rate of HAV infection has decreased in high-income countries, partially due to the availability of immunization, high-profile outbreaks continue to be reported.
Since these viral pathogens are transmitted primarily via the faecal-oral route, infected food products, such as shellfish, leafy greens, and berries, are the key food products associated with viral foodborne outbreaks. Contamination by food handlers or cross-contamination from contaminated surfaces is primarily associated with ready-to-eat products, such as salads and, bakery or delicatessen goods, prepared or treated raw or after cooking.
Preventing viral contamination by good hygienic, agricultural and manufacturing practices remains the key strategy to be followed the use of antiviral polymers and biopolymers to produce possible antiviral materials in food applications is envisaged as a promising solution that could help prevent cross-contamination or recontamination by the hygiene principles.
Growing demand for biopolymers & antiviral polymers over petroleum-based goods will increase market growth in the coming years to minimize greenhouse emissions. These emissions can damage marine habitats and impact the food chain that contributes to bioaccumulation. To solve the issue, the production of bio-based composites & antiviral polymers for food packaging involves the manufacturing companies and research institutes in R&D.
Although the study of polymers and biopolymers has improved the food & beverage, healthcare industries but has substantially degraded the quality of composure of materials used for customized packaging. As customized packaging with biopolymers acts as inhibiting agents for foodborne bacteria and viruses. Thus, imparting antiviral polymers for packaging will actively help in the providing safe packaging of these products.
Find your sweet spots for generating winning opportunities in this market.Talk to Analyst
Antiviral Polymers for Packaging Market: Regional Outlook
North America has dominated the global market for antiviral polymers due to the presence of major pharmaceutical markets such as USA and Canada. The United States is the largest pharmaceutical market with high per capita income and high investments in research and development for medical supplies with antiviral polymer properties and devices.
Asia Pacific is on the verge of witnessing incredible demand for antiviral polymers for food packaging products, powered primarily by rising food convenience preference. Market knowledge and a fast-paced lifestyle in the region will further generate growth opportunities for antiviral polymers packaging.
Antiviral Polymers for Packaging Market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global market are as follows-
- Dow Chemical
- BASF SE
- Mondi Plc
- Dunmore Corp.
- Amcor plc
- Gerresheimer AG
- AptarGroup Inc.
- Becton, Dickinson and Company
- Schott AG
- West Pharmaceutical Services Inc.
A unified Market Research Subscription Platform, built for today's disparate research needs.
Regional Analysis Includes
- North America
- Latin America
- South Asia
- East Asia
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Antiviral Polymers for Packaging Market Segmentation
- Bags and pouches
- Wrapping Films
- Food and beverages
- Personal Care
- Electronics and Electrical appliances
Table of Content
List of Tables
Find your sweet spots for generating winning opportunities in this market.Talk to Analyst
List of Charts