This Non Pho Ingredients market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Non Pho Ingredients market.
As the food industry is witnessing a significant transition from synthetic to organic and harmful to healthy, the non-PHO ingredients market is expected to witness an upward trend in the coming decade. Initially used by manufacturers for expanding product shelf-life, PHO ingredients were banned by FDA as the trans-fatty acids present in PHO ingredients can be hazardous to human health. Non-PHO ingredients available in the non-PHO ingredients market sourced from corn, canola, coconut, sunflower and flax are in huge demand. Manufacturers in the non-PHO ingredients market are engaged in introducing non-PHO ingredients and coating materials to replace the highly sought after PHO ingredients in the food and beverage sector.
Following the recently retracted GRAS tag of PHO ingredients, manufacturers in the non-PHO ingredients market are introducing non-PHO ingredients that are organic, non-GMO, with low saturated fat content and without trans-fatty acids. AAK USA Inc., a leading player in the non-PHO ingredients market has recently opened its new innovation center in California to increase the production of plant-based non-PHO ingredients to be used in the bakery sector. Croklaan Oils B.V., another leading player in the non-PHO ingredients market has also introduced non-PHO ingredients range - SansTrans Roll-Rite Puff for puff pastry applications.
Market Growth Analysis
Disclaimer: This data is only a representation. Actual data may vary and will be available in the report.
Over the last few decades, PHOs (partially hydrogenated oils) have been used as functional replacements for lard and cocoa butter and as coating modifiers for the encapsulation of food ingredients that have required properties, such as flexibility in the formulation of baked goods and confections, and other applications. Though PHOs are perfectly functional ingredients, they are the primary dietary source of artificial trans-fatty acids in processed food, which are directly linked to coronary heart diseases. In 2015, the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) declared that PHO ingredients that produce trans-fatty acids in foods are no longer GRAS (generally recognized as safe) for use in human food. Also, it set a compliance period of three years for food companies to replace all PHOs from their food products and switch to non-PHO ingredients that provide all the characteristics to maintain the quality consumers expect from products.Therefore, to comply with this government mandate as well as growing consumers demand, companies are developing innovative non-PHO ingredients with full functionality, eating characteristics, and machinability without trans-fat, which are easy to use. Non-PHO ingredients provide additional benefits; they are organic, low in saturated fat, non-GMO, and can enhance the shelf life of food products. Moreover, in 2017, FDA approved soybean oil as a qualified health claim. Additionally, there are some key factors that are adding pressure on manufacturers in the food industry to switch to non-PHO ingredients, such as decline in PHO supply and the validation of non-PHO ingredient alternatives, which can be time-consuming and lengthy, and various countries are currently revising their regulations regarding PHOs.
Reasons for Covering This Title
A wide range of technologies are now available for the encapsulation of active agents in the food industry. As the FDA has mandated the removal of partially hydrogenated oils (PHO) from food ingredients, companies are currently focusing on developing non-PHO ingredient encapsulation technologies and delivery systems to improve their product quality and comply with government standards. Moreover, increasing demand for clean label, expanding health and wellness trend and rise in the need for dietary supplements as well as functional foods among consumers for various health benefits are expected to boost the non-PHO ingredients market in the near future. Moreover, the low cost associated with non-PHO ingredients coating technology, along with enhanced coating flexibility and barrier properties that enable a minimum percentage of coating, will also surge the demand for non-PHO ingredients during the forecast period. However, manufacturers are facing some challenges in switching away from PHO coating modifiers. For instance, specific bakery products that rely heavily on PHOs for functionality, such as coated dough as well as icing, have not found a worthy alternative, which may hamper the growth of the non-PHO ingredients market in the near future.
Global Non-PHO Ingredients: Market Segmentation
Market Share for Non-PHO Ingredients Market by Application, 2017
Global Non-PHO Ingredients Market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global non-PHO ingredients market are Innovative Food Processors, Inc., Stratas Foods, LLC, IOI-Loders Croklaan Oils B.V., The Archer Daniels Midland Company, Bunge Limited, Cargill Inc., Corbion NV, Dow AgroSciences LLC, Bunge Limited, AAK USA Inc., Ingredion Inc., Kerry Group PLC, Palsgaard A/S, Lasenor Emul, S.L., and others.
Region Wise Market Presence of Key Manufacturers in Global Non-PHO Ingredients Market
Expanding research and development activities, rise in the demand for specialty ingredients, innovative technology, mergers and acquisitions among players, and increasing demand for customized oils to meet the growing demand for functionality, labeling, nutrition, flavor and sustainability are some of the leading factors driving the growth of the global non-PHO ingredients market. Moreover, companies are seeking various certifications to enhance their product portfolios, expand their distribution channels and increase their market presence.
Opportunities for Global Non-PHO Ingredients Market Participants
Consumers are shifting from liquid PHO to non-PHO ingredients, which is expected to impel the growth of the market. Expanding innovative interesterification technology and growth of the bakery industry in developing countries are estimated to boost the growth of the non-PHO ingredients market revenue over the forecast period. Moreover, companies are seeking for innovative technologies to maintain trans-fat and reduce the level of saturated fat possible in non-PHO ingredients, which is the primary factor accelerating the growth of the non-PHO ingredients market.
Brief Approach to Research
Our company will follow a modelling-based approach and triangulation methodology to estimate data covered in this report. A detailed market understanding and assessment of the type, application, and distribution channel of the product segments covered in the study is followed by carrying out a demand-side approach to estimate the sales of target product segments, which is then cross-referenced with a supply-side assessment of value generated over a pre-defined period. The statistics and data are collected at a regional level, consolidated and synthesized at a global level to estimate the overall market sizes.
Key Data Points Covered in the Report
The research report presents a comprehensive assessment of the market and contains thoughtful insights, facts, historical data, and statistically supported and industry-validated market data. It also contains projections using a suitable set of assumptions and methodologies. The research report provides analysis and information according to market segments such as geographies, application, and industry.
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
NOTE - All statements of fact, opinion, or analysis expressed in reports are those of the respective analysts. They do not necessarily reflect formal positions or views of Future Market Insights.
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Non Pho Ingredients Market Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
On the basis of source, the global non-PHO ingredients market can be segmented as:
On the basis of form type, the global non-PHO ingredients market can be segmented as:
On the basis of ingredient type, the global non-PHO ingredients market can be segmented as:
- Citric Acid
- Tartaric Acid
- Ascorbic Acid
- Sodium Bicarbonate
On the basis of application, the global non-PHO ingredients market can be segmented as:
Global Non-PHO Ingredients Market: Key Developments
- In 2015, FDA banned the use of PHO (partially hydrogenated oil) food ingredients and set a compliance period of three years for food manufacturers to either reformulate food products with non-PHO ingredients or appeal the FDA to allow specific uses of PHOs in food products
- In 2015, Innovative Food Processors, Inc. met the FDA requirements and introduced a wide range of new coating systems with non-PHO ingredients. The company’s non-PHO ingredients include salt, citric acid, acidulants, and many more, which can be applied to any dry, free-flowing supplement or food ingredient
- In 2015, Corbion NV launched an innovative non-PHO ingredient ‘Ensemble(TM) - emulsifier’ at the IFT 2015 food expo. The novel product provides drop-in functionality to maintain flavor, color, and texture, without affecting the product quality and improves shelf stability in various applications such as confectionery, bakery goods, beverages, and other processed foods. The company has developed this emulsifier to allow food and beverage manufacturers remove PHOs from their products to meet FDA regulations
Some of the key data points covered in our report include:
- An overview of the market, including background and evolution
- Macroeconomic factors affecting the market and its potential
- Market dynamics, such as drivers, challenges and trends
- Detailed value chain analysis of the market
- Cost structure of the products and segments covered in the study
- In-depth pricing analysis, by key product segments, regions and by major market participants
- Analysis of supply and demand, such as top producing and consuming geographies, imports/exports and overall trade scenario
- Analysis of the market structure, including a tier-wise categorization of key market participants
- Competitive landscape of the market, including detailed profiles of the top players in this market
The report covers exhaust analysis on:
- Market Segments
- Market Dynamics
- Market Size
- Supply & Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies involved
- Value Chain
Regional analysis includes:
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico. Brazil)
- Western Europe (Germany, Italy, France, U.K, Spain)
- Eastern Europe (Poland, Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, ASEAN, Australia & New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC Countries, S. Africa, Northern Africa)
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current, and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint