Water Adventure Tourism: Sector Overview & Outlook Overview
Special interest tourism is a type of tourism that facilitates the customisation of tourism activities to cater to the specific interests of individuals and / or groups. A particular need or interest is addressed in the special interest tourism sector. Adventure tourism is a type of special interest tourism, which engages an individual in natural, physical and cultural excursions that results in the individual coming out of his/her comfort zone. This is carried out by an established tour company or agency. Water adventure tourism is a sub type of special interest tourism under the category of adventure tourism. Water adventure or water based tourism refers to tourist activities undertaken at water resources such as dams, lakes, canals, seas, coastal zones, oceans and creeks. Water sports enthusiasts look forward to explore hard as well as soft water based adventures and activities such as water sports – canoeing, sailing, kayaking, river rafting, water-skiing and scuba diving. It is a niche type of tourism that involves exploration and travel in an unfamiliar, remote, exotic and wilderness location.
Water Adventure Tourism: Popularity
Wateradventure tourism, or water based tourism is gaining popularity in the current global scenario. The factors contributing to the increased popularity of water adventure tourism are listed below:
- Individuals are more interested in pursuing risky adventures, instead of boring tours with less activities
- The rise in disposable income has facilitated the growth in tourism all over the world. Money, income and spending power are special influencing factors of the water adventure tourism sector
- Advent of technology and developments in water sport equipment have a reinforced effect on the safety of individuals, because of which there is an increased participation in water sports, expanding the horizon of water adventure sports and thereby impacting the water adventure tourism sector
- Skilled personnel and trainers are available to help and guide the tourists, impart knowledge and technical know-how in order to use the underwater equipment (scuba diving and deep sea diving) conveniently
- New standards are being established with respect to inspection and maintenance of equipment, operating instructions and standard operating procedures, guides and instructors, risk mitigation, emergencies and rescue procedures and training
- Water adventure tourism, a mix of soft and hard adventure tourism, imparts the most needed physical exertion along with quick thinking
- Increased social media and advertising has made it possible for the water adventure tourism sector to reach out to people across the globe
- Growing number of water parks has facilitated the growth of the water adventure tourism sector
Water Adventure Tourism: Challenges
Like every other tourism segment, the water adventure tourism sector also faces certain challenges. Though the popularity of water sports is rising, there are issues faced by tourists in terms of risk management (despite regulating risk mitigation programmes, people tend to adhere to their own terms), equipment (water sports equipment might be faulty during manufacturing and is not checked sometimes owing to brand new packaging that gives a sense of assurance to the tourists; owing to which accidents tend to happen). Water sports agencies can also face problems with respect to misbehaviour of the tourists, trip cancellations and overall resources and tour management issues.
Water Adventure Tourism: Different Sports and Equipment
There are various water sport activities in water adventure tourism. Even if related to water as a common aspect, each of these water sports activities are unique with respect to the experience gained and the level of risk involved. Water enthusiasts engage themselves in activities such as white water rafting that is famous in Malaysia, kayaking in Vietnam, kite boarding in Thailand, surfing in Playa de Famara, scuba diving in Brisbane, kayaking in California, jet skiing in Miami, wind surfing in Spain and wake boarding in Australia. These are some of the water sports activities famous in the mentioned locations. Water sports equipment and apparel are two important factors to be considered while undertaking water adventure tourism. There are several water equipment and gears such as knee boards, swim goggles, wake boards, kayaks and canoes, water skis, life vests, diving suits, rebreathers, diving computers and gauges and so on. Some of the manufacturers producing these equipment include Adidas, Arena, Mikasa, Speedo International, Baden, Nike, Billabong, Turbo, KAP7 and Under Armour.
This comprehensive report equips readers with lucid information and analysis on the sector. Future Market Insights’ experienced travel and tourism analysts bring to you accurate and unbiased information to help you make crucial decisions with confidence.
The report offers a 360° view – bringing to the fore key drivers, restraints, opportunities, and challenges prevailing in the sector. To offer readers actionable insights, detailed information on historical trends, current scenario, and future projections is provided in the report.
The report specifically focusses on the leading companies operating in this sector, highlighting their key developmental strategies. A holistic analysis of the leading players is highlighted to help decision makers understand the overall competitive landscape.
What Can Readers Expect from this Report?
- An overview of the sector, including the key factors that have shaped patterns and demand
- Not just data, but insights that you can incorporate in your strategic decision making
- Nuanced underlying factors that influence consumer behaviour
- Data points to understand the past, analyse the present, and project the future
- Trends that will impact the sector in the short- and long-term
- Deeper understanding of the target audience, their motivations, aspirations, and expectations from service providers
Water Adventure Tourism:Segmentation
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint.
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.