This Levothyroxine Sodium market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Levothyroxine Sodium market.
Underactive Thyroid Glands Remain the Single Largest Treatment Scope for Levothyroxine Sodium
Levothyroxine sodium is a narrow therapeutic range, the effect of which significantly depends on its level of potency or bioavailability. Administering a drug product of lesser potency or bioavailability to a patient who has conditions controlled by other products, could result in a suboptimal response and hypothyroidism. On the other hand, drug with higher potency could result in a noxious manifestation of hyperthyroidism, including cardiac arrhythmia, palpitations, and cardiac pain, thereby, making its significantly important to administer just the right dose of levothyroxine sodium to patients with coronary heart disease. Lowest effective dose of levothyroxine must be titrated to lower the risk of osteoporosis—a condition mostly found in woman.
Treatment of hypothyroidism or underactive thyroid disease remains the single largest application of levothyroxine sodium—with treatment goals to correct catabolic imbalances and reverse clinical progressions. As per the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE), of nearly 27 million people suffering from various thyroid disorders, most people suffer from hypothyroidism—autoimmune thyroiditis and odine deficiency being the most common causes. An increase in demand for levothyroxine to treat thyroid cancer, apart from decreasing the size of an enlarged thyroid gland, could drive up the sales of levothyroxine sodium products in the coming years.
Mostly used under the branded umbrella of Synthyroid, that received its FDA-Approved status only in 2002, the food and drug regulatory body also considers generic levothyroxine drugs to be as effective as the branded ones. Moreover, the American Thyroid Association (ATA) has found no better thyroid hormone replacements than levothyroxine, thereby, supplementing to the higher global adoption of levothyroxine sodium. The thyroid association, in its guidelines for treating underactive thyroid gland, confirms that levothyroxine sodium (brand or generics) would remain the most preferred treatment choice for hypothyroidism. Moreover, as per ATA’s task force on thyroid replacement, alternative preparations including levothyroxine–including liothyronine combination therapy, or thyroid extract therapy, or others were not found to have any superior finding compared to levothyroxine monotherapy, making it the most preferred hypothyroidism treatment arrangement.
Product Recalls Could Hamper Levothyroxine Sodium Sales Growth
FDA imposes tight regulations on oral levothyroxine sodium products—that have been plagued by potency and stability problems. In a recent development, the food and drug regulatory body alerted API distributor, repackagers, compounders, and finished drug manufacturers pertaining to the recall of porcine thyroid API- a product of Sichuan Friendly Pharmaceutical Co. Limited, based in China, in the wake of unreliable quality API. The FDA laboratory found inconsistent levels of active ingredients—levothyroxine and liothyronine—leading to permanent health conditions, if used. In a subsequent development, Westminster Pharmaceuticals recalled its unexpired lot of levothyroxine and liothyronine as a precautionary measure as some of its products were made manufacturers using Sichuan Friendly Pharmaceutical Co. Limited’s active ingredients.
Studies Indicate Change in Formulations Could Improve Levothyroxine Sodium Tolerance and Efficacy
Considering that the efficiency of hypothyroidism adequately depends on the dosage of levothyroxine sodium—which requires adjustments annually, arising from lack of medication persistence, dosage errors, changes in dietary habits, body mass, and medical conditions, and use of concomitant medications, studies indicate that oral absorption of levothyroxine could remain inefficient by foods including coffee beverages, certain foods, and drug. Researchers have found that hypothyroid patients treated with levothyroxine sodium gel capsules may experience less thyroid hormone fluctuations compared to levothyroxine tablets.
From the formulations standpoints, another study indicates that patients with suboptimal TSH on tablet LT4, could significantly improving the TSH levels by switching to liquid formulation of levothyroxine sodium, wherein the dosage remains unchanged. Changeover to liquid formulations have been suggested considering the reduced efficacy of levothyroxine (LT4) owing to factors such as intestinal disorders, gastric diseases, and concomitant intake of some drugs that might interfere with the absorption of levothyroxine. Apart from formulations, dosage timings of levothyroxine sodium- mornings of bed time- is studied to show a substantial improvement in the thyroid improvement level, with changes in the serum lipid level.
Levothyroxine Administered in Patients Eligible for Organ Donation Shows Promising Future Applications
Although organ transplantation remains the most preferred treatment for end-stage organ diseases, suitable organ donors often fail to meet the perquisites of organ transplantation. Hemodynamic, endocrine, and metabolic instabilities, in brain dead cases, often translate into potential organs being lost. Vasopressors are often used to battle hemodynamic instability—often a resultant of low thyroxine levels, and present cardiovascular collapse. High dosage of vasopressors are required to retrieve organs fit for transplantation. Research indicates that administering intravenous bolus of levothyroxine sodium in brain dead patients could significantly reduce vasopressor in patients. Nearly all organ procurement organizations in US are presently using levothyroxine in varying measures.
Key Development in the Competitive Landscape
Lannett Company, Inc. and Amneal Pharmaceuticals recently entered a distribution agreement, with Amneal taking over marketing and distribution of Lannett’s Levothyroxine sodium tablets, effective from December 1, 2018 till the mid-March 2019. In another development, Amneal recently announced a 10-year license and supply agreement with Jerome Stevens Pharmaceuticals, Inc. for the former’s levothyroxine sodium tablets, beginning March 23, 2019.
The research report on levothyroxine sodium presents a comprehensive analysis, assaying some key aspects including market dynamics, segmentation analysis, and coopetition profiling. Apart from the historical data analysis, the report on levothyroxine sodium also highlights present growth, year-on-year growth, and forecast—providing a better understanding of the levothyroxine sodium market.
Apart from an in-depth analysis of the key market dynamics shaping the growth trajectory of levothyroxine sodium market, the report also offers an elaborate segmental analysis, on the basis of Disease Indication, covering, Hypothyroidism, Thyroid Cancer, Myxedema Coma, and Goiter.
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Levothyroxine Sodium Market Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
The report encompasses an in-depth market analysis on the basis of:
- Segments of levothyroxine sodium market
- Market Valuation with respect to Volume and Value: Current, Historical and Projected Data
- Key market dynamics influencing the growth of levothyroxine sodium market
- Supply and Demand Analysis
- Comprehensive regional analysis
- Thorough Market Classification
- Macro-economic segments
- Major Players- Forward Growth Strategies and Product offerings
- Key participants/companies operating in the levothyroxine sodium market
- Value Chain and pricing analysis
- Market attractiveness according to segments
Geographical Assessment of the levothyroxine sodium market includes:
- North America (Canada, U.S) levothyroxine sodium market
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, and Rest of Latin America) levothyroxine sodium market
- Western Europe (Germany, Italy, U.K, France, Nordic countries, Netherlands, Spain, Luxembourg, Belgium, and Rest of Western Europe) levothyroxine sodium market
- Eastern Europe (Poland, Russia, and Rest of Eastern Europe) levothyroxine sodium market
- Asia Pacific (China, India, ASEAN, Australia & New Zealand) levothyroxine sodium market
- Japan levothyroxine sodium market
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, South Africa, and Rest of MEA) levothyroxine sodium market
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose FMI?
- With a global presence and a trusted partner to several Fortune 500 firms, FMI covers 1 billion+ data points to build a diversified portfolio for market benchmarking
- Market Reports researched and peer reviewed by industry experts from across the globe
- We follow a multi-dimensional method of analysis monitoring a three-layer data validation process
- In addition to demand-side market assessment, our data triangulation methodology involves supply-side research
- Primary research includes mandatory field interviews with stakeholders involved
- Customizing reports according to client specification is also our forte
What will you discover from Levothyroxine Sodium Market report?
- The current and future market size, covering each aspect and nuanced trends across key national and geographic markets
- An overview of the market report, providing an imperative visual of the varied market subdivisions and overall forecast statistics in terms of value and volume
- Extensive database and key dynamics elevating the market with varied verticals associated
- Underlying Levothyroxine Sodium Market forces that are compelling consumers or businesses to purchase the product
- How novel technologies and consumer-centric innovations will create new value-adding opportunities for companies active in the Levothyroxine Sodium Market
- What will be environment and regulatory impacts on the market over the next decade
Which framework has been used to develop the Levothyroxine Sodium Market report?
- Investment Feasibility Matrix - It shows returns on investment, level of competition, success rate of investment, and potential risks associated with the market. The analysis shows that the competition is high in the established market, while the returns for short-term investment are also taken into consideration
- Relative Maturity Mapping – The relative maturity is measured according to three growth phases (growth, maturity, decline)
- Relative PLC (Product Life Cycle) – Analysis of the emergence of prominent players and competitive test prices which are driving factors behind every market. (expected market behavior, observed market behavior, expected market performance, observed market performance)