Cheese Ingredient Market Overview
Organic and Vegan Trends to Dictate the Future of Cheese Ingredient Market
The global food industry, and within it the dairy industry, has been undergoing significant changes, fueled in part by rapid technological advancements. While new techniques such as ultra-high temperature (UHT) treatment made milk safe, sterile, shelf-stable, and easily attainable, the production of cheese is evolving dramatically to sustain the ever-growing demand.
The world’s appetite for cheese as an ingredient continues to move on an upward swing, leading to significant growth of the cheese ingredient market. Increasing demand for cheese driven by westernization of dietary lifestyles and rise of on-the-go culture has been opening a window of opportunity in the cheese ingredient market.
In terms of innovation, taste and research have been at the forefront of the positive trend in the cheese ingredient space. As consumers’ increasingly busy lifestyles pave the way for more processed food, cheese ingredient manufacturers will need to be ahead of the curve that set their products apart from the competition. Popular trends such as clean label, organic, vegan, and health consciousness are further expected to impact the development of the cheese ingredient market.
Cheese Ingredient Market – Notable Developments
Key players operating in the cheese ingredient market include Arla Foods, Chr. Hansen Holding A/S, Alpura, Koninklijke DSM N.V., Archer Daniels Midland Company, E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, Fonterra Co-operative Group, Saputo Inc., Almarai, and CSK Food Enrichment.
- In November 2019, Koninklijke DSM N.V. announced that it has secured a deal to acquire CSK Food Enrichment, a dairy solutions provider and one of the key players in the cheese ingredient market. With the acquisition, the former company aims to strengthen its product portfolio and expertise in the F&B sector, especially encompassing taste, texture, and bio-preservation solutions for semi-hard cheeses.
- In October 2019, Arla Foods announced the inauguration of a state-of-the-art cheese production site in the Kingdom of Bahrain to support steady increase in demand for dairy in Middle East and North Africa (MENA). The company is set to invest around ($55 million) in the new site to increase capacity.
- In April 2019, Chr. Hansen launched CHY-MAX® Supreme, an innovative coagulant with superior functionality for modern cheesemakers, helping them deliver a greater commercial return by offering higher yield and faster and more precise production. The new coagulant is the third generation of chymosin (FPC) range of coagulants produced through CHY-MAX® fermentation.
Key Factors Shaping the Cheese Ingredient Market
- Significant Growth of Cheese Market
A notable rise in demand for fermented dairy ingredients has been weighing on same scale as increasing adoption of cheese as an ingredient in number of food products ranging from burgers to Italian food. In developed regions, cheese continues to be long-established household staple with a wide range of use.
Moreover, the cheese market in Europe and North America has reached a point of saturation, thereby compelling manufacturers to target major importers and developing markets.
The result is expected to lead to increasing demand for cheese ingredients. As cheese manufacturers look to grow in developing countries by tailoring products to local tastes and needs, key players in the cheese ingredient market will need to up their innovation game.
- Enzyme Modified Cheese Gaining Robust Traction
Enzymes continue to account for relatively high share in the cheese ingredient market as compare to milk, milk additives, and bacterial cultures. As today’s consumers are on the journey of exploration, especially in terms of food and beverage preferences, enzyme modified cheese is garnering substantial traction as it imparts flavor to intensify existing taste of cheese. In addition, enzymes are associated with low production costs, high functionality, and extended shelf life in comparison with other cheese flavor ingredients. This, in turn, has been contributing to the growth of the cheese ingredient market.
- Spike in Number of Foodservice Outlets in Developing Countries
Rise in consumption of processed cheese as a snacking option among consumers, especially in developing countries such as China and India remains a key growth influencer of the cheese ingredient market. In recent years, sprung in number of quick service outlets and rapid adoption of dine-out culture in these countries have triggered a robust increase in demand for cheese. Moreover, the Indian cheese market accounts for about 45% of the total dairy market in the country, which in turn is expected to fuel demand for cheese ingredients including cheese color and cheese concentrate. Stakeholders are further viewing developing markets from manufacturing perspective, considering relatively large production of milk in these countries.
- Rapid Penetration of Organic and Vegan Trend
In recent years, the impact of organic and vegan trend has been noticeable in the dairy industry, amid swift inclination towards healthier lifestyles and mounting concerns over animal welfare issues. While organic cheese made from organic milk and ingredients is gaining increasing momentum, the latest generation of plant-based food products is getting closer to reality – leading to increased demand for vegan cheese. Therefore, key players in the cheese ingredient market will need to connect more closely to modern trends and be relevant to changing food habits and needs of consumers, especially millennial demographic.
The report covers exhaustive analysis on
- Cheese Ingredient Market Segments
- Cheese Ingredient Market Dynamics
- Cheese Ingredient Market Size
- Supply and Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges pertaining to Cheese Ingredient Market
- Competition Landscape and Emerging Market Participants in Cheese Ingredient Market
- Technology related to Production/Processing of Cheese Ingredient
- Value Chain Analysis of the Cheese Ingredient market
The regional analysis includes
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil)
- Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Italy, Spain, Poland, Russia)
- East Asia (China, Japan, South Korea)
- South Asia (India, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia)
- Oceania (Australia, New Zealand)
- Middle East & Africa (GCC Countries, Turkey, Northern Africa, South Africa)
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain.
The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators, and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on cheese ingredient market segments and geographies.
Table of Content
List of Tables
List of Charts