Vegan DHA Market Outlook
DHA and other omega-3 ingredients are extensively extracted from marine and plant sources. Marine sources comprise algal, fungus oil, fish oil and krill oil. Those DHA which are obtained from other sources than fish are considered as vegan DHA which includes chia seed oil, flax seed oil, soybean oil, among others.
The increasing demand for healthy food ingredients in the food and beverage industry has led to rising demand for healthy food products and fall in need of unhealthy fatty acids.
The vegan DHA in animal nutrition, introduced either by grazing or as diet supplement are important as they influence the improvement of their production, reproduction and other health performances
Various researchers show that feeding animals with essential fatty acids such as DHA support coat and skin health. It also aids healthy brain cells, as well as nutritionally support the natural healing process.
Future growth will be driven by innovations in vegan DHA formulations with increased consumer awareness for the health and overall well-being.
The government of various countries such as Canada, U.S., Sweden, Japan and others are taking initiatives and promoting the adequate intake of DHA due to potential health benefits. This is expected to create new opportunities for players operating in the vegan DHA market.
Growing Need for an Alternative to Fish Derived DHA
The growing pollution in the sea and ocean has contaminated the fish derived products. The fish derived DHA oil in the market are rancid i.e. oxidized. The rancid oil or fats are expected to damage cells and contribute to atherosclerosis.
Large numbers of free radicals are produced in the rancid oils and have potential to damage DNA cells. The free radicals can also act as carcinogens and cause cancers to humans.
The fat-soluble pollutants such as polychlorinated biphenyls, magnify in marine food chains and are expected to end up in concentrated amounts in the fish oil supplements.
The fish remains the major source of omega-3 ingredients such as DHA. These fishes obtain omega-3 ingredients from algae. Therefore algae are emerging as a new alternative source for production of DHA to fish and anticipated to grow rapidly over the forecasted period.
The DHA supplements derived from algae are considered as vegan DHA and have the same benefits and nutritional content as fish derived supplements. The vegan diet lacks DHA and EPA which can be fulfilled from the supplements manufactured using algal oil.
Vegan DHA Market: Opportunities
The manufacturers of the vegan DHA are expected to incorporate new technologies for the production of vegan omega-3 ingredients. The producers are expected to invest more in research and development to develop innovative methodologies for producing vegan DHA from algae or plant based sources to cater the demand from vegan and vegetarian consumers.
Microencapsulation technology is used to incorporate plant based oils (rich in omega-3 ingredients) into food and stabilized fish oil enriched foods. This technology improves palatability and stability of fish oils. Microencapsulated oil powders or products with enhanced stability products find applications majorly in infant formula, dietary supplements, and food and beverages.
- For Instance, Polaris Nutritional Lipids developed QUALITYSILVER, a technology that prevents oxidation of oil to protect its nutritional and organoleptic qualities. This is expected to extend the shelf life of the products and increases the stability of the oil produced.
Vegan DHA Market: Key Participants
The key players in the global Vegan DHA market are:
- Croda International Plc.
- Hero Nutritionals Inc.
- Koninklijke DSM N.V.
- Natural Products Drugs GmbH.
- Cargill Inc.
- BASF SE
- Epax Norway AS
- ALGISYS, LLC.,
- Barleans Organic Oils L.L.C.
- Arista Industries Inc.
- Cellana, Inc.
- Denomega Nutritional Oils
- Algaecytes Limited
The research report presents a comprehensive assessment of the Vegan DHA market and contains thoughtful insights, facts, historical data, and statistically supported and industry-validated market data. It also contains projections using a suitable set of assumptions and methodologies. The research report provides analysis and information according to market segments such as source and application.
The report covers exhaustive analysis on:
- Vegan DHA Market Segments
- Vegan DHA Market Dynamics
- Vegan DHA Market Size
- Vegan DHA Supply and Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges pertaining to Vegan DHA Market
- Competition Landscape and Emerging Market Participants in Vegan DHA Market
- Technology related to Production/Processing of Vegan DHA
- Value Chain Analysis of the Vegan DHA Market
Regional analysis includes:
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil)
- Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Italy, Spain, Poland, Russia)
- East Asia (China, Japan, South Korea)
- South Asia (India, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia)
- Oceania (Australia, New Zealand)
- Middle East & Africa (GCC Countries, Turkey, Northern Africa, South Africa)
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain.
The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing dynamics of the Vegan DHA market in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation and analysis
- Historical, current, and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments in the Vegan DHA market
- Competitive landscape of the Vegan DHA market
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on Vegan DHA market performance
- Must-have information for Vegan DHA market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint
Vegan DHA Market: Segmentation
The Vegan DHA market can be segmented based on source and application.
- Chia Seed Oil
- Flax Seed Oil
- Soybean Oil
- Canola Oil
- Walnut Oil
- Mustard Oil
- Perilla Oil
- Food Industry
- Dairy Desserts
- Bakery & Confectionary
- Savory Snacks
- Breakfast Cereals
- Functional Drinks
- Dietary Supplements
- Infant Formulas
- Pharmaceutical & Nutraceutical Industry
- Animal feed
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.