This Specialty Generics market study offers a comprehensive analysis of the business models, key strategies, and respective market shares of some of the most prominent players in this landscape. Along with an in-depth commentary on the key influencing factors, market statistics in terms of revenues, segment-wise data, region-wise data, and country-wise data are offered in the full study. This study is one of the most comprehensive documentation that captures all the facets of the evolving Specialty Generics market.
Specialty Generics are the generic versions of specialty pharmaceutical products. They are cost-effective when compared with specialty pharmaceuticals. Specialty generics include biopharmaceuticals, blood derived products and complex molecules.
Several blockbuster specialty drug molecules are coming off patent in the coming years. Hence, companies are foraying into this market to launch generic versions of the products by developing novel formulations. Additionally, global saturation of conventional generics market and low margins for generic drugs is also forcing companies to look for newer opportunities. However, commercialisation and development of specialty generics is more complex when compared with conventional generics products. Originator companies are adopting multiple strategies to hold on to specialty drug market share by mix of regulatory, commercial and product development strategies.
Various companies are actively engaged in license, collaborations and acquisitions to expand their specialty generics capacities. For instance, in October 2016, Intellipharmaceutics entered into an exclusive license and supply agreement with Mallinckrodt to market, distribute, and sell its extended release drug product candidates in the U.S. market and to strengthen its specialty generics portfolio. Further, in October 2015, Teva Pharmaceutical Ltd. acquired Representaciones e Investigaciones Médicas, S.A. de C.V. (Rimsa) that involved in development specialty generic products, to enhance their sales in specialty generics market. In March 2016, County Line Pharmaceuticals - that involved in development of specialty generics - was acquired by Alvogen to boost its sales in U.S. market and increase its portfolio in specialty generics.
Specialty Generics Market: Drivers and Restraints
Favorable reimbursement policies, increasing prevalence of cancers, specialty drugs patent expiries, reforms enacted by government bodies, payer’s pressures to reduce the drug prices, and lack of generic drugs to treat complex diseases are expected to boost demand for speciality generics during the forecast period. According to National Cancer Institute, 16 million cases of cancers are newly diagnosed every year in U.S. and 0.5 million deaths occur due to different type of cancers.
Development of speciality generics is a complex process and requires skilled workforce and sourcing of raw materials. These longstanding challenges can impede the growth of the market during the forecast period.
Specialty Generics Market: Overview
Development of cost-effective drugs to treat oncology, multiple sclerosis and other infectious diseases can create significant opportunities for the specialty generics manufacturers. For instance, a patient has to spend around US$ 72,000 annually to treat multiple sclerosis conditions by using copaxone (Glatiramer). However, Novartis developed generic version of copaxone that costs only US$ 63,000. Hence, many insurance companies are showing interest to reimburse the specialty generics owing to their low cost. Based on disease indication, Oncology and Infectious diseases segment is expected to grow with a significant CAGR owing to increasing product patent expirations over the forecast period.
Specialty Generics Market: Regional Overview
Region-wise, the global specialty generics market is classified into regions namely, North America, Latin America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia-Pacific excluding Japan, Japan, and Middle East and Africa. North America expected to dominate the global market for specialty generics due to favorable government policies and increasing specialty generic product launches over the forecast period. Large number of generic players and lack of specialty drugs in the Asia -Pacific market expected to boost the growth of the specialty generics market growth in APEJ region over the forecast period.
Specialty Generics Market: Key Players
Some of the players in global specialty generics market include Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc., Novartis,Pfizer Inc., Turing Pharmaceuticals, Teva Pharmaceutical Ltd., Mylan N.V.,Akorn, Inc., and Mallinckrodt
The report covers exhaustive analysis on:
- Market Segments
- Market Dynamics
- Market Size
- Supply & Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies involved
- Value Chain
Regional analysis includes
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil)
- Western Europe (Germany, Italy, U.K, Spain, France, Nordic countries, BENELUX)
- Eastern Europe (Russia, Poland, Rest Of Eastern Europe)
- Asia Pacific Excluding Japan (China, India, ASEAN, Australia & New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, S. Africa, N. Africa, Rest Of MEA)
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
Unique Requirements? Customize this Report
- Customize by Region, Country, Application, Product, & other segments
- Integrate our Insights with your Existing Data
- Determine the scope of the study to suit your requirements
Let FMI Help You!
- Gain Insights on Key Specialty Generics Market Impacting Forces
- Know the Winning Strategies of Market Leaders
- Get Deep-Dive Analysis on Each Segment
- Identify the Sources that will Drive Top-Line Revenue
Specialty Generics Market: Segmentation
The global specialty generics market is classified on the basis of disease indication, route of administration, distribution channel, and geography.
Based on disease indication, the global specialty generics market is segmented into the following:
- Infectious diseases
- Multiple Sclerosis
Based on route of administration, the global specialty generics market is segmented into the following:
Based on distribution channel, the global specialty generics market is segmented into the following:
- Retail Pharmacies
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Mail order Pharmacies
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose FMI?
- With a global presence and a trusted partner to several Fortune 500 firms, FMI covers 1 billion+ data points to build a diversified portfolio for market benchmarking
- Market Reports researched and peer reviewed by industry experts from across the globe
- We follow a multi-dimensional method of analysis monitoring a three-layer data validation process
- In addition to demand-side market assessment, our data triangulation methodology involves supply-side research
- Primary research includes mandatory field interviews with stakeholders involved
- Customizing reports according to client specification is also our forte
What will you discover from Specialty Generics Market report?
- The current and future market size, covering each aspect and nuanced trends across key national and geographic markets
- An overview of the market report, providing an imperative visual of the varied market subdivisions and overall forecast statistics in terms of value and volume
- Extensive database and key dynamics elevating the market with varied verticals associated
- Underlying Specialty Generics Market forces that are compelling consumers or businesses to purchase the product
- How novel technologies and consumer-centric innovations will create new value-adding opportunities for companies active in the Specialty Generics Market
- What will be environment and regulatory impacts on the market over the next decade
Which framework has been used to develop the Specialty Generics Market report?
- Investment Feasibility Matrix - It shows returns on investment, level of competition, success rate of investment, and potential risks associated with the market. The analysis shows that the competition is high in the established market, while the returns for short-term investment are also taken into consideration
- Relative Maturity Mapping – The relative maturity is measured according to three growth phases (growth, maturity, decline)
- Relative PLC (Product Life Cycle) – Analysis of the emergence of prominent players and competitive test prices which are driving factors behind every market. (expected market behavior, observed market behavior, expected market performance, observed market performance)